WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. New to this site, and also over here in the UK.
I have inherited my fathers Bulova Accutron, which from reading through some of these posts, and looking at pictures on the net, is a 218. It has M7 on the back, so guess it was made in 1967, and it has an 18K case.
One thing that i can't find is a picture of the exact same watch. Where mine differs is that on the left of the watch it says Bulova (over) Accutron. The one that I have seen that is similar only has the word Accutron.

I've tried to attach a picture of it.

Can anyone let me know more about this watch, and also why I can't find an exact copy of it any where on the internet please.

I look forward to your replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Is your watch solid 18K case? If so, you have a valuable watch just because of the gold value. You are correct about the caliber of movement and date. There were numerous sub-calibers of the 218 movement and the only way to know which one you have is to remove the case back. As far as the dial goes, you may have read posts here about the seemingly endless variations in case, dial and hand designs on Bulova watches. Over on MyBulova.com they are constantly analyzing all those variations in older mechanical Bulovas, trying to determine what is original and what was changed at a later date. Before the Accutron watches, all Bulova watches had names and often came in a series with variations in case, dial color and bands. Around the time of the Accutrons, most names were dropped although, you do see a few Accutrons with names such as Astronaut, Railroad Approved, etc. Most Accutrons don't have names, just numbers. With six different major calibers of Accutron movements produced, there were MANY variations and even when a particular watch was pictured in a catalog, what the dealer received might not have been exactly as pictured. Your dial layout is seen on Accutrons. All I can say is keep looking and you may well find another like yours.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
OliverB said it well as usual, I just want to add that you are a lucky man to have inherited such a watch.
I sometimes wonder if Bulova ever made two Accutrons exactly alike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you

Hey guys. Wow. Thank you all for your quick comments. I have been asking around over here if anyone knows anything about it, but I get a lot of blank looks. I've looked on the net to get some valuations and for similar watches the prices vary between $1000 to $4000. Am I looking at the same watches, and is this the kind of range? I really want to know as much as I can if I do decide to sell it, so not to do anything silly. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yes, most likely the value of a solid gold case would exceed the value of the same watch in a stainless steel or gold plated case. Condition also is a factor. If pristine and recently serviced, there would be a little more value for one in a SS or GP case. I kind of doubt anything near $4K, though. Skypilot knows solid gold case scrap values best. I would bet on under $1K in it's present condition and mostly for the gold value - but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for all your comments. I don't believe it is solid gold, but i may be wrong. It just has 18K gold case inscribed on the back. Akkatron is correct, unless i was offered something remarkable it is worth more to me as an heirloom.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I'd kinda like to see some good pictures of the inside and outside of the back of the case. It sure sounds like a solid gold watch from what you have said.
I don't really know much about the value of the gold as scrap. I've been buying some solid gold Accutrons as they fit my budget and I see them advertised for ridiculous prices but not selling for those prices. Based on the ones I have bought I would say that you would probably not get over $1000 for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.