WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
It's pretty much impossible to tell much about the watch from that picture. I see that you headed the thread "Accuquartz" but that does not appear to be a picture of an Accuquartz.
Good pix of the front and back would help.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
As skypilot said, we must have a good, close and in-focus pic of the front and back of the watch. The date code on the case back, consisting of a letter and number - ex N4 - will also help.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
OK, I'm officially intrigued. The N1 tells us that it dates to 1971 which is a bit early for an Accuquartz. The serial number tells us that it was made in Switzerland. The crown at 3:00 is interesting but I have never seen or heard of an Accuquartz with a back that didn't screw on.
I suspect this one is going to keep Sam2 busy a while. :confused1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Accuquartz

I have paperwork indicating that there were 200 of these watches produced as a limited collection. I also have a type written letter on Bulova letterhead that describes the method for setting time and date.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Like skypiolt said, VERY INTERESTING! :confused1: Earliest I know of also is N2 or N3. Now we need a view of the movement. If you don't feel comfortable opening the watch, I understand. That is really the only way we can know for certain if it is an Accuquartz movement inside. Should be a date on the movement as well. The second hand does sweep, not jump (assuming it is running)? So far, I have 7 Accuquartz watches and all have the typical screw-on back, although one is different than the typical screw-on size/style. The crown being in the 3 o'clock position is different but is found on some 218/219 & 224 cases. The case back is quite unusual but Bulova did some strange things on a few Accutron cases. Also unusual to have "Accuquartz" stamped on the case back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure I would feel comfortable taking the back off. I have owned this watch for 38 years and it has never been worn, would hate to put a scratch on it. I might take it to a professional and have the back removed and then take a pic, I will keep you posted. I saw a picture of a Beta 21 (first accuquartz) stamped N0 which was released in 1971.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I think OliverB has raised the issues that have occurred to me.
How did you acquire the watch RJP605 ?
The only Beta 21 I ever heard of wasn't made by Bulova, it was a joint effort of some European watchmakers to make something to compete with the Accutron.
Sam2 is going to wear out a computer on this one !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took back off! Thirteen 13 Jewels, unadjusted, CEH-Swiss-B21

Bulova Watch
10 EACD

Inside Back of Case: 18k .750
Swiss

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Might that be an early BETA 21 quartz movement

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Accutron "Might that be an early BETA 21 quartz movement "

But was Bulova involved with the development of the Beta21 ?

Why does it say Accuquartz when that is not an Accuquartz movement ?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I found that too and also found it on Tom Mister's site. Still work to be done but that appears to be RARE !
I sure hope that one doesn't get melted !

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have seen that movement before but where is the tuning fork? Buried in the works?
I don't think there is a tuning fork in it. Beta 21 movements were the first Swiss produced quartz movements iirc

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I don't think there is a tuning fork in it. Beta 21 movements were the first Swiss produced quartz movements iirc
Ah, ok. I get it. They used the name later applied to their own tuning fork version they engineered from the 218 movement.

rjp605, thanks for opening the back! You have shared some cool history with us.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The CEN B21 movement (Omega Electroquartz 1300/1301/1302, Rolex Quartz Date 5100) was a joint venture between the Center of Electronic Horology (CEH), Ebauches SA, and Omega. The movement first appeared at the 1970 Basel Watch Fair in no less than fifteen brand name watches. Some say that only 11,000 were made and others list the total production at 14,000 units but regardless, they majority were used in Omega "Electroquartz" watches. It was not a true tuning fork movement. The magnetic resonator used in place of the tuning fork suggests that Bulova was involved although, I can't find a list of CEH members. The concept and perhaps some patents are from the Accuquartz 224.
An Internet search for "Electroquartz" will turn up more info.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts