WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bull A8 (black pvd with orange hands and numbers). I was thinking about replacing the black PVD case with the Rose Gold option lum tec has available on their website. But I am not sure how the rose gold, orange, and black would look together. Typically I like how rose gold and black looks together (with maybe some white accents). Any thoughts on how you think the combo would look?

·
Registered
356 Posts
But I am not sure how the rose gold, orange, and black would look together. Typically I like how rose gold and black looks together (with maybe some white accents). Any thoughts on how you think the combo would look?
I think that's a good combo.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
It would be one of kind for sure!! Go for it! :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Man, considering the cost of that case -- almost $200, plus labor to install -- I'd leave well enough alone. The A8 is a stunner, to start with, so I'd default to the old maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
I think from memory BabyWildAnimal had a RG bull and it looked great, but his was RG from Lum-Tec and not something he did himself. Were you meaning you would get it RG'd yourself like the pics, or send it to LT for them to do?

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I think from memory BabyWildAnimal had a RG bull and it looked great, but his was RG from Lum-Tec and not something he did himself. Were you meaning you would get it RG'd yourself like the pics, or send it to LT for them to do?
I wondered the same thing. If he's thinking about buying an A8, new, as a "customization," then the cost of the project might be mitigated, somewhat, since LT might allow him some sort of credit for the black PVD case. That'd be more palatable, for me, than the prospect of eating the full retail cost of the Black-PVD A8, plus the costs of shipping the watch back for a retrofit to a rose-gold PVD, plus return shipping, just to end up with an A8 movement -- with whatever remains of its original warranty -- encased in a rose gold PVD case. Seems like a lot of money to put into a quartz-movement watch...

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Man, considering the cost of that case -- almost $200, plus labor to install -- I'd leave well enough alone. The A8 is a stunner, to start with, so I'd default to the old maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The RG case is $185 installed. It looks very nice with the A8 dial too!

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
The RG case is $185 installed. It looks very nice with the A8 dial too!
I should've read the details, Chris. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup1:

Part of the problem with responding to this sort of "solicited opinion thread," is that it's hard to avoid raining on somebody's parade. Especially when it's clear the OP has his mind pretty much made up, and he's looking for validation of his "instincts." 9 times out of 10, I'll pass on by without comment, observing mom's advice to "say nothing, unless you have something positive to say." :wink:

In this case, it seemed crazy to pump another couple hundred dollars into an already beautiful quartz watch, but that just betrays my bias against non-mechanical movements.

See no. Say no. Hear no evil. :w00t:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should've read the details, Chris. Thanks for clarifying. :thumbup1:

Part of the problem with responding to this sort of "solicited opinion thread," is that it's hard to avoid raining on somebody's parade. Especially when it's clear the OP has his mind pretty much made up, and he's looking for validation of his "instincts." 9 times out of 10, I'll pass on by without comment, observing mom's advice to "say nothing, unless you have something positive to say." :wink:

In this case, it seemed crazy to pump another couple hundred dollars into an already beautiful quartz watch, but that just betrays my bias against non-mechanical movements.

See no. Say no. Hear no evil. :w00t:
I guess the original idea of the Rose Gold case came about because the PVD black case was starting to show some wear. I was just looking for options to "fix" it (if I wanted to do so). The rose gold looks nice, but I wasnt sure how the combination of colors would look. Price is definitely a consideration. Essentially, it is pumping extra money into the watch. You are definitely not "raining on my parade." I wanted to hear positive and negative points of views. I appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I guess the original idea of the Rose Gold case came about because the PVD black case was starting to show some wear. I was just looking for options to "fix" it (if I wanted to do so). The rose gold looks nice, but I wasnt sure how the combination of colors would look. Price is definitely a consideration. Essentially, it is pumping extra money into the watch. You are definitely not "raining on my parade." I wanted to hear positive and negative points of views. I appreciate the input.
If Chris does it, it'll be done great. They'll replace the battery, etc., too, I'm sure. So, you could look at it like you're getting a whole new watch for your investment. I've been looking at a bull for a long time. They're beautiful, but I've got my heart set on an automatic, for the time being.

The only thing that occurs to me for your watch is that -- if you're as hard on watches as I am -- you may be noticing the same sort of wear on your gold PVD finished case, pretty quickly, too. I think the dial on the A8 stands on its own -- it's superb -- and would look very nice with just about any case. What crossed my mind (short trip) was that you might want to consider a stainless steel bull replacement case. I know that's probably sacrilegious to some PVD lovers, but Chris might be able to put your A8 into a SS case, for the same, or even less money; it'd look beautiful, and you'd be able to forget about PVD damage, from now on.

Just a thought! :wink:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't have the software (or the smarts) to do it, but someone might be able to photoshop a pic together to give you a realistic idea of the combo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was definitely thinking of sending it to lum tec for the installation. Not something I would trust my self to do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have the software (or the smarts) to do it, but someone might be able to photoshop a pic together to give you a realistic idea of the combo.
That wouldnt be a bad idea. Unfortunately, I am in the same situation as you. I dont have the software, and I definitely lack the creative knowledge put something like that together.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Down and VERY dirty!!

WOW! Thanks Ladd, that was quick! I like the way it came out. It's one thing to have an idea in you head, and another to have an actual representation you can visually see (in my opinion). Looks better than I thought to be honest. I appreciate you going through the trouble.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
WOW! Thanks Ladd, that was quick! I like the way it came out. It's one thing to have an idea in you head, and another to have an actual representation you can visually see (in my opinion). Looks better than I thought to be honest. I appreciate you going through the trouble.

-Aaron
I sort of went 'I don't think so' when I first heard it, but I really like that. It is really unusual, but in balance.

I have no imagination. I have to have pictures. Ladd is great at these quick Photoshops, isn't he? Thanks again, Ladd. You're the man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts