WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just as the title reads, my brother's New York apartment was recently broken into and all of his watches were stolen. Not a huge collection, and not anything of extreme value, but he lost a lot of sentimental pieces which is the real bummer. Insurance will likely help out at some point but it won't replace the intrinsic value that we all have in our own respective collections - expensive or not.

Anyway, without naming names, several of his favorite pieces were more fashion brands (let's be honest, he needs a bit of schooling) which make him somewhat brand finicky. However, I think he just hasn't ever worn a great timepiece with a little bit of history behind it - especially one that carries a little more horological clout than Armani (man, I feel dirty just writing that). Since we wouldn't want to gift him something we wouldn't otherwise wear, what would you get someone under similar circumstances, preferably somewhere in the $500 - $1000 range?

Personally I'd love to get him a Seiko, but I don't think he sees the brand the same way I do. Maybe something a little more brand-neutral like Steinhart that channels the brand power of other classic vintage pieces?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
there are a large number of watches that fall into that price bracket.

you can pick up any number of really nice vintage pieces (Omega et al) up to 1k.

for something new a Hamilton Jazzmaster Hamilton Watch · JazzMaster would be just right.

Reactions: dag

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
for something new a Hamilton Jazzmaster Hamilton Watch · JazzMaster would be just right.
+1... The first watch that jumped to my mind was the Hamilton Jazzmaster. I can't think of another new watch under $1000 that I like more than the Jazzmaster Viewmatic.

If he'd be more into a dive watch or something more sporty, I'd probably go with an Ocean7 LM-5.

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Hamilton is definitely one of the usual suspects in that price range, and I'll add my personal favorite for that budget: Christopher Ward. The Malvern series (particularly the Aviator versions) and the Speedhawk are great looking watches.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I don't want to be too harsh, but someone did him a favor taking away his Armani and Gucci watches. Hopefully he will see the light. Hamilton Jazz Master cannot be beat in that range. But they don't make fancy shoes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to be too harsh, but someone did him a favor taking away his Armani and Gucci watches. Hopefully he will see the light. Hamilton Jazz Master cannot be beat in that range. But they don't make fancy shoes.
Definitely harsh, but I was thinking the same thing!
Hadn't even considered it - I also agree that the Jazzmaster is an excellent selection! Anyone else care to weigh in?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I would second the recommendation for Christopher Ward. I've got two that I love!

Sorry about the horrible picture of the C5 Malvern Mk II. I've yet to get any decent pictures of it.

The Hamilton Jazz Master would also be an excellent alternative.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear about your brothers loss. I know for me too, the sentimental value of my collection far outweighs the monetary value of it. Hamilton was the first brand that came to mind for me too, and they offer watches in a variety of styles so you shouldn't have any problem finding one matching your brothers taste. Seiko is a great choice too, but if he was buying name brand fashion models before he might be more drawn to the (debatably) more prestigious, Swiss made Hamilton. I would take the opportunity too, to explain to him that among true watch enthusiasts a watch made by a company which only makes watches is always more fashionable and impressive than watches made by companies specializing in clothing. I have a pair of Kenneth Cole shoes, but when I see someone wearing a Kenneth Cole watch I make unfavorable judgements haha.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd probably go with a couple.

A nice dress watch, maybe a Citizen Eco-Drive big date chrono and a sweet auto diver of your choice.

The Citizen will keep time as long as there is light. Makes a nice grab and go.

Diver for daily wear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.