WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I hope you guys are doing fine.
I will have on Monday a Rolex, pretty sure genuine one, blue Submariner.The glass of the watch is broken, though...actually, there is no glass on it, since it was broken about a year ago.
I live in a country which has no official dealer of Rolex, so please help me with an information...how much does an original glass of a Rolex Submariner approx. costs?
Thanks in advantage.
Armend.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Well this isn't a simple question / solution, and it's not just a matter of replacing the glass. If the crystal was broken, there's almost certainly going to be shards in the movement. Additionally I certainly hope the watch has had the crown pulled out the entire time, as running the movement with shards in it can do more damage. lastly, without a crystal the movement was exposed to the elements. If it's a humid environment you could have corrosion issues.

The watch is going to need a full movement overhaul to make sure all the crystal shards have been removed, it's been cleaned and properly lubed. The movement and inside components will need inspected for corrosion, and lastly you'll need the new crystal.

If you do not have a Rolex service supplier there, you'll probably need to mail it out as Rolex won't ship a crystal to a non-authorized service provider. If you send it to Rolex, I'd estimate you're probably looking at $1,000, probably more. If you can find a Rolex-authorized servicer to send it to, maybe $500-800. Both those assume there isn't any major components / dial needing replaced. You could take it to some watch maker who may know Rolex movements and replace the crystal with a generic sapphire. I personally would not, but if you do I'd make dang sure the guy knows Rolex movements (and has proof of that experience) and that he does a full movement overhaul to make sure it's been completely cleaned and is in top shape before you start winding it.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this isn't a simple question / solution, and it's not just a matter of replacing the glass. If the crystal was broken, there's almost certainly going to be shards in the movement. Additionally I certainly hope the watch has had the crown pulled out the entire time, as running the movement with shards in it can do more damage. lastly, without a crystal the movement was exposed to the elements. If it's a humid environment you could have corrosion issues.

The watch is going to need a full movement overhaul to make sure all the crystal shards have been removed, it's been cleaned and properly lubed. The movement and inside components will need inspected for corrosion, and lastly you'll need the new crystal.

If you do not have a Rolex service supplier there, you'll probably need to mail it out as Rolex won't ship a crystal to a non-authorized service provider. If you send it to Rolex, I'd estimate you're probably looking at $1,000, probably more. If you can find a Rolex-authorized servicer to send it to, maybe $500-800. Both those assume there isn't any major components / dial needing replaced. You could take it to some watch maker who may know Rolex movements and replace the crystal with a generic sapphire. I personally would not, but if you do I'd make dang sure the guy knows Rolex movements (and has proof of that experience) and that he does a full movement overhaul to make sure it's been completely cleaned and is in top shape before you start winding it.
Hi Scott,
Thanks for Your detailed answer.
The watch owns a patient of mine, he got it as a gift from Canada-as he stated -with the original box and warranty card.
He had a fight in a club a year ago, and since then the watch is without crystal, but with the crown, dial and the metal strap in pristine condition.
There is no damage on the dial.
I haven`t seen the watch yet.He will bring it to me on Monday.
The wach is Rolex Submariner, this one

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
He had a fight in a club a year ago, and since then the watch is without crystal, but with the crown, dial and the metal strap in pristine condition.
There is no damage on the dial.
There's no damage that you're aware of or that can see maybe. Just because the outside of the dial and the outside of the crown is pristine, doesn't mean the inside is as clean. It may be, but again there could be unseen issues you won't find until a qualified watchmaker fully inspects the movement. It's also possible a dial can look OK but need replaced as the dial feet have been bent and cannot sit properly for the stem to function. Visual appearances are NOT always indicative of actual functionality. If you're looking to buy it, keep in mind you could be getting something that is truly in very good shape and only needs the overhaul of the movement to clean it and a new crystal. You could also be getting something that needs some serious money spent to make the watch work properly.

The wach is Rolex Submariner, this one
It's the white gold version? Very nice.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no damage that you're aware of or that can see maybe. Just because the outside of the dial and the outside of the crown is pristine, doesn't mean the inside is as clean. It may be, but again there could be unseen issues you won't find until a qualified watchmaker fully inspects the movement. It's also possible a dial can look OK but need replaced as the dial feet have been bent and cannot sit properly for the stem to function. Visual appearances are NOT always indicative of actual functionality. If you're looking to buy it, keep in mind you could be getting something that is truly in very good shape and only needs the overhaul of the movement to clean it and a new crystal. You could also be getting something that needs some serious money spent to make the watch work properly.

It's the white gold version? Very nice.
Yes, the white gold version.
Actually, I am not intending to buy it.It will be a gift from him.
I just wanted to be known how much will the reparation of the glass cost me.Thanks again Scott.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I just wanted to be known how much will the reparation of the glass cost me.Thanks again Scott.
Well the crystal itself is probably about $200. But again, I'd expect the total cost to be $500+ as there will be other items needing fixed, I guarantee it.

The watch owns a patient of mine, he got it as a gift from Canada-as he stated -with the original box and warranty card.
Actually, I am not intending to buy it.It will be a gift from him.
You have a patient who's going to gift you a $35,000 watch? :001_unsure: :001_rolleyes: Very strange indeed, but OK if it's actually legit. If this is truly the case, to say even if it costs you $1,000 or so to resolve this to pristine order you're still coming out good is an extreme understatement. Even if it costs you $2,000 you in effect got a watch 95%+ off.

If you get it I want pics or this never happened.... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
You have a patient who's going to gift you a $35,000 watch? :001_unsure: Very strange indeed, but OK. In this case, to say even if it costs you $1,000 or so to resolve this to pristine order you're still coming out good is an extreme understatement. Even if it costs you $2,000 you in effect got a watch 95%+ off.
I was thinking the same thing, Scott.

Alvin, assuming this is all legit, who cares how much it costs to fix it. As Scott said, we're talking about a $35,000 watch that is being given to you.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
My spidey sense are tingling over this one Alvin! Would he give you $35,000 in cash just as a gift? Are you that close? Is he that rich and that generous? Just because it's a watch why would it be so different?

·
Registered
15,297 Posts
Yes, the white gold version.
Actually, I am not intending to buy it. It will be a gift from him.
Déjà vu #5?
If all of us are wrong - well, than you have a GREAT friend there :)

If there are NO problems with the watch whatsoever (unlikely) - the cost of the sapphire crystal replacement runs around $200 - $250.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, you guys do not believe me, and You are probably right.:crying:
I will have the watch on Monday, and the firs thing I am gonna do is visiting my old watchman.
He will check out for the authenticity.
This guy told me that he got it as a gift from Canada from his uncle, will the box and ``some card, credit card -like inside``.
By the way he knows about watches as much as I know about crucifying rituals of catholic fanatics in Philippines, i.e nothing.
He just told me that hos uncle who lives in Canada is very rich.
If is genuine, the second thing I am gonna do is posting pics here.No worries about that.:wink:

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
Well it's of course your call, but if it was me and the guy knows squat about watches I'd tell him what it's worth if it turns out to be real. Granted virtually everyone knows the Rolex name, and I'm sure he knows it's worth at least a few thousand. But someone who doesn't know jewelery could very well mistake white gold for stainless steel and he may have no clue it's worth over $30K. Again, just me but if it's a patient who I've known over the years I'd at least make sure he understands the value of what he's giving you or I'd feel I'm taking advantage of him. A gift doesn't mean much if you received it that way IMO. If he's making the gesture of this gift to me, the least I could do is make sure he knows what he's giving. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
This whole story sounds pretty strange, so I'll admit I'm pretty skeptical that it's a real WG Sub, Alvin.

With that said, if it does turn out to be real, you might want to fill this guy in on what he's giving you before accepting the gift. If he knows nothing about watches like you said, he might not realize the value. Ultimately that would be your decision to make, but I would feel like I'm taking advantage of him unless I was sure he was aware of what he was giving me.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This whole story sounds pretty strange, so I'll admit I'm pretty skeptical that it's a real WG Sub, Alvin.

With that said, if it does turn out to be real, you might want to fill this guy in on what he's giving you before accepting the gift. If he knows nothing about watches like you said, he might not realize the value. Ultimately that would be your decision to make, but I would feel like I'm taking advantage of him unless I was sure he was aware of what he was giving me.
I did not knew as well-until you guys told me-that these Rolex is that expensive.I am surprised too.Sure I will tell him the fact that this watch is nearly 20 thousand, i don`t want to have the watch by getting him framed....no chance at all.
I called the guy just an hour ago, since he is not from my city- to give me some more details about the watch-by phone so far though.I will have it on Monday,as I told you...
Rolex Submariner 100ft superlative chronometer officially certified, the blue one. These were his word.The fact that this watch is purchased in Canada, from a close relative and rich person, gives me hope that we are dealing with the real thing.
Is there a similar version of this submariner with stainless steel?

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
It's actually closer to $35K, not $20K. The actual is $34K and some change.

No, there is no steel blue version. If it's a blue dial and bezel, it should be white gold, and the 18k gold stamp will be on the back, clasp and bracelet. It'll also be noticeably heavier than steel. The steel would be either all black (dial and bezel) or all green (dial and bezel). That's the only all steel versions of the current 116610 Submariner.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Well it's of course your call, but if it was me and the guy knows squat about watches I'd tell him what it's worth if it turns out to be real. Granted virtually everyone knows the Rolex name, and I'm sure he knows it's worth at least a few thousand. But someone who doesn't know jewelery could very well mistake white gold for stainless steel and he may have no clue it's worth over $30K. Again, just me but if it's a patient who I've known over the years I'd at least make sure he understands the value of what he's giving you or I'd feel I'm taking advantage of him. A gift doesn't mean much if you received it that way IMO. If he's making the gesture of this gift to me, the least I could do is make sure he knows what he's giving. But that's just me.

Apparently we were thinking the same thing at the same time... couldn't get much closer than that if we tried.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
PLEEEEEEASE let this be 'the one' for you. The one that's not a fake. Let this be the story with a happy ending, and not another 'too good to be true' story like the rest have turned out to be....

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PLEEEEEEASE let this be 'the one' for you. The one that's not a fake. Let this be the story with a happy ending, and not another 'too good to be true' story like the rest have turned out to be....

Good luck.
Thanks Muttley!
Well, we have to wait till Monday...although, Scott gave an explanation about the watch which made me to be a bit more skeptical about authenticity:crying:
I just cannot believe..to good to be true!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fake.
Chinese movement.
Worthless.
As always so far when it comes to my projects of getting an expensive genuine watch for a small value of money or for free:crying::cursing::sad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.