WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently seen a Super Ocean steel Fish (New style) in an AD.
I really liked it and the off white/yellowed dial is gorgeous!!!

What really set it apart from most other Brietling's I've seen is the fully brushed/satin finish rather than the highly polished finish found on most Super O's.

The only thing that prohibits it as a watch for me (and my 1st Brietling) is the sheer bloody size of the thing :cool:

It's gotta be a least 45mm which for me and my slim wrists is a big No No!
I tried it on and practically "willed" it to look right!
However as much as I wanted it to, it just didn't, even the shop assistant agreed that it was too big and thick for me.

I currently wear a Rolex Sea Dweller, which I am trying to sell in order to "revise" my watch priorities to a JLC RDM dress watch and another diver of lesser value as an everyday wearer.

The Super O Steel Fish fit's the bill perfectly apart from the (IMHO) over the top dimensions.

Is this model available in a smaller (42mm max) size.
In other words, identical in detail, style and finish except for the size? (Same dial, brushed finish etc)

I confess to being uneducated on Brietlings so your advice would be appreciated.

If I can find a pic of the model I tried on I'll post it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Hey Mac,

Actually, the SO SF is 'only' 44mm.. But it does wear larger than it is..

It's only offered in that one size. Now, if you liked the look of the satin / polished combo but want a smaller size, the Colt Auto may be a good option. Almost identical to the SF, but it's 41.3mm's and the markers are baton style, not round dots. Here's a picture for you:

And here's the SuperOcean SteelFish for you to do a comparison (sorry, don't have a pic of it on a bracelet, but the dials the same color at least):

Other than that, the only other watch in the Aeromarine line offered in smaller sizes is the Super Ocean Heritage, which is offered in a 38mm size and the standard SuperOcean, offered in 42mm...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott.

Here's a pic of the dial config courtesy of rick Atkins (Thanks Rick:thumbup1:)

The Colt dial doesn't seem to have the same ...well "something" that the SF does, having said that I'd have to see one in the flesh to be sure.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
NO, I agree - the SF dial is really something, especially with all that lume. But on the same page, the Breitling dials do come out well in pictures. As you said, you'd have to see it in person to really get a good feel for it... :thumbup1:

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Steelfish was originally 42mm. In 2006, the 42mm version was dropped and replaced by 44mm version. The name was also changed to Steelfish X plus. The 42mm and 44mm versions looks pretty much the same. The 42mm had a depth rating of 1500M vs 2000M for 44mm version. In 2007, the "X plus" was dropped from the name is now known simply as the SuperOcean Steelfish.

Current 44mm Steelfish

42mm Steelfish

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The Steelfish was originally 42mm. In 2006, the 42mm version was dropped and replaced by 44mm version. The name was also changed to Steelfish X plus. The 42mm and 44mm versions looks pretty much the same. The 42mm had a depth rating of 1500M vs 2000M for 44mm version. In 2007, the "X plus" was dropped from the name is now known simply as the SuperOcean Steelfish.
What he said. :001_smile: I was going to say the same thing until I got to his response. If you are lucky maybe you could find a used or NOS original Steelfish in the 42mm size floating around. Sounds like that might be the perfect watch for you!

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Just a suggestion - have you checked out the 'standard' Superocean, as opposed to the steelfish?
42mm, I don't have the steel bracelet to show, sorry.
Also the dial is only available in black, blue or orange, so may not fit your requirements if you want off-white.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
oops sorry, I've just re-read your original post - and the brushed finish is a winner for you, so that rules out the standard SO....
best of luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
oops sorry, I've just re-read your original post - and the brushed finish is a winner for you, so that rules out the standard SO....
best of luck with the hunt.
Unless you have it brushed by a watchmaker.... Not an expensive option, and reversable if you ever want it polished again.... Just another option.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts