WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

Just happen to stumble upon this book, while browsing the shelf in a bookstore.

Breitling Timepieces, 1884-Present by Benno Richter

This is the revised edition, original prod. year is in 2000.

Think of buying it, but dunno whether it content is already obsolete. If chronolog 08 is a better reference, then I think i rather skip this book.

Any remarks on this books? Is it going to be insightful and detailed?
Any of you guys already having one?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hi Mate,

I have never seen the book so I can't be an authority on it,however just looking at the name and the pictures I think it would have more detail than the Chronolog 08.

After all the Chronolog is only a sales catologue of 08 watches.Where the book looks like it will have more detail for collectors on Breitling watche up to the published date of the book.

Don't be afraid to buy it though and send it on to me for a thorough investigation.:lol:

Cheers

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
You beat me to it, Aaron. I always offer my services as guinea pig & surrogate wrist for members with dilemmas like this. Flip through it in the store and see if it sparks your interest.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Hey all,

While I don't have it, I have seen that book before online and am seriously considering getting it. Looks like a good reference book.

Zacha,
That book really doesn't compare to a Chronolog as they're really have 2 seperate audiences. The book is a historical account of past models from what I understand, where the Chronolog is the yearly catalog of Breitlings current line. So it depends on what your goal is. Do you want to have a reference book of several years of Breitling production or just see what they currently offer in stores?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good day,

Thanks for the info, guys. Today i have managed to go and have a look at the book. Don't really have the time, though, so what i so is simply peruse.

From that, i can conclude that this book are great if u really like the history part of Breitling. And yes, Scott D, you are right. It's really emphasize on Brietling's past models. The revised edition (2007) do cover new models, but not all are highlighted. It can be quite technical on some model's movements, where all the diagrams and small parts are 'disassembled'. Most pages are black and white, though.

It'll make an interesting read, but I do envy that Omega and Rolex have several books that covers their new models and old as well, plus tonnes of close up shot and colourful pages....

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Thanks for the info.. If it goes into tech details & stuff I'll surely have to pick it up.. :thumbup1:

But if you want a Chronolog, just stop into a local AD & they'll give you one for free. If you don't have any near you, just call Breitling & they'll send you one.. Their # is 203-762-1180. Just FYI sometimes it can take a month - 6 weeks for them to get it to you, but it'll get there (eventually).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anytime, Scott :001_smile:!

I guess i'm not into the technical part of it yet. Furthermore, it's vintage.

Btw, what is the difference between Colt Auto and Colt II? My AD couldn't really tell, or simply don't know about it:cursing:!!! But earlier, muttley told me that you might have an answer for me.

Thanks ahead!!!

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Btw, what is the difference between Colt Auto and Colt II? My AD couldn't really tell, or simply don't know about it:cursing:!!! But earlier, muttley told me that you might have an answer for me.

Thanks ahead!!!
Not sure off the top of my head.. But I'll brouse thru the books & see if I can determine it... Be back later tonight or tomorrow...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that's nice. Thanks a lot for the trouble, Scott!!!

I had browse thru the net too, but no concise answer that i could get from there either.

Furthermore, i don't think any 'Colt II' was ever mentioned in Breitling official website...

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Furthermore, it's vintage.
Bingo! :biggrin: Guess what I'm shopping for now? I have no vintage Breitlings and a decent book for reference would be a boon. There's so much fraud with the brand because they offered so many options. I know a little, but that's just enough to get me in hot water. Rolex, Cartier & Breitling are the 3 most counterfeited brands.

Thanks zacha!

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Hey Zacha,

I can't find any reference of a Colt II either going back to 2000... I'm not realy a Colt expert, so I'm not sure. But was the "II" a WIS-designation of one of the colt models maybe? :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, somehow i do think it might not be official, this "Colt II" stuff...:wink:
Perhaps it was a new-slang after all, maybe referring to new production which carry some corrective manner to the normal "Colt".
I'm gonna crash some ADs with this question, and hopefully i can post some info on it later.

To Ulackfocus, yes, you are going to be thrilled by the book!!!:thumbup:

I believe it has listed down most of vintage brietling models, good stuff! But, too bad that most of the pix are on black and white...:sad:
Btw, get the most recent ones - like what u see in my pix of the book (which is revised 2nd edition), the one that i found in local bookstore is the 3rd edition (2007).

One more thing - back here, the most counterfeited brand is TAG. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Have a good day, y'all....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts