WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new on this forum. I just wanted to know if it's true the rumor about Breitlings using the Sellita SW200 movement. There are some comments on the internet forums, but I couldn't find anything on the Breitling's website.

I know Breitling is not part of the Swatch group, so maybe they're beginning to use another movement aside the ETA ones due to the ending of their supply in 2009 or 2010.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Hi Sebastian. It's my understanding Breitling is using some Sellita movements, which is not a bad thing. The Sellita SW 200 is very solid. I own a COSC version and have had non-COSC in the past, too.
However, there are reports of crown issues with this movement.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
That's news to me. I haven't heard that. BUt doesn't surprise me.

But personally as Breitling does modify the raw movements to create their calibres (the level of modifying isn't known though) I really don't care what they start with. As long as the finished product is:
1) robust
2) accurate
3) reliable
4) one Breitling stands behind

then it could be an ACME Co. movement for all I care.. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
Scott my source on this is SWI boss Lior Ben-Schmuel. I believe snbc watch host Jim Skelton also mentioned this - as did The Lalo himself.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Scott my source on this is SWI boss Lior Ben-Schmuel. I believe snbc watch host Jim Skelton also mentioned this - as did The Lalo himself.
Well if the Lalo himself said it it must be true!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lol:

Well, I don't doubt it.. Just hadn't heard it is all. In all honesty though I wasn't looking for it. But, I still don't mind... As long as it has what I documented above, I'm fine with any Swiss movement.... :thumbup1:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I know that Breitling bought out Kelek that makes movements, I would think that they would use Kelek movements before they would purchase SW200 movements. In my own experience with the Sellita movements has not been good. The first watch I purchased with the SW200 movement was defective. I sent the watch in for repairs. It came back and was still broken. I sent it in again and after 20 weeks I got the watch back and they replaced the movement. I very rarely wear this watch. About 2 weeks ago I decided to wear it and it was running 45 seconds fast. The whole time that I was not wearing it it was in a winder running at 700 TPD. I sent the watch in for repair again and they wanted to replace the movement again. I was given the choice to get another watch of equal value. So I ended up picking up a Swiss made quartz watch that appealed to me instead of getting this watch fixed for the third time when I really do not wear it. It may not be the movement, it could be the manufacture. It was Invicta and the watch was originally made to hold a ETA movement so this may be the reason or I just had some really bad luck. The watch I am getting to replace the 9937a with the SW200 is the Incvicta Speedway reserve collection.
I do have one other watch with a SW200 movement and the watch is spot on in the winder and about 6 seconds fast a day on my wrist. I will see how this one runs over time. Sorry for going off topic.
I know that Jim swears by the movement and some brands are using them and they are passing COSC testing. I would never pay 2 or 3 thousand for a watch with this movement in it. Not at this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts