WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are both thinking about going after a Breitling emergency and wanted feedback from people that own one. here are a few questions....
1. We plan on going on a few off the beaten path trips but once we heard that they are only 100 meters water resisted thought if we are in any kind of water (ocean) and were in need of help they would be no good if we went down more then a few feet under water. 100 meters to me says don't really get it wet. opions please.
2. Do any of you know anyone who used it in a real emergency...was there any problems because it was used.
3. My son loves the ani-digi and I like the chrono. again feedback please.
Any other words of wisdom would be great such as has anyone had there watch in water and how did it hold up! Thank you. Rick

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hi Rick and a very warm welcome to WTF.

With regards to the water resistance of the Emergency watches I'm guessing that you are looking to get the Emergency Mission because it rated to 100m, whereas the Emergancy is only rated to 30m. A 100m rated watch will never give you any problems in shallow waters. Certainly down to the depths that I could go to until my ears started popping.:biggrin:

Unfortunately, I do not think anybody can give you any feedback here with regards to ownership because, as you can see from the thread below, we do not have any Emergency owners here.

http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showthread.php?t=378

However, may I say that there are no other watches like the Emergencys from Breitling. If your only hurdle at the minute is your concern over the water resistancy then you will not have any problems with this watch.

With regards to your 2nd point. If you were to use the antenna then it would need resetting. I'm not sure of the ramifications of this. Also, if the antenna is accidentally set and emergency services are called out as a result you will be liable to a fine. However, this is quite difficult to do.

The best place as always to find out about these queries is your local AD.

I hope this helps and that when you do decide to go ahead and get one of these you will come back and indulge us with your thoughts on the watch and, of course, pictures.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the Breitling forum... You & your son are surely looking at 2 fine watches. :thumbup1:

Regarding the water resistancy. Each brand really defines the limits of a 100m watch differently. For Breitling, they say the 100m watches are good fir swimming, shallow diving, snorkeling & free diving (not full scuba). When you say "wend down more than a few feet" what depth are you talking about? If it's 30 feet or so, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're scuba diving deeper, then it may be a problem.

On your second point, I've read stories where they've been used to find people, but never firsthand knowledge. As Tricky said, I don't believe any of the members have them here. If so, shame on them because they surely haven't posted any pictures for us to see... :wink: :biggrin:

As Tricky said, if you do use it, the antenna & transmitter battery will been to be reset / replaced by Breitling. I don't know what this costs, but can't imagine it being excessive. Once the transmitter is activated, it'll continue to broadcast until the battery is dead (48 hours). FYI - on a side note, if you plan to buy pre-owned you can tell an Emergency's transmitter has been used because you'll see a red ring around the antenna screw lock. It automatically 'pops out' when activated. So if you see one with a small red ring at the bottom of the antenna crown, it'll need the above servicing.

On the 3rd point, it's just personal preference. The Emergency (digi-ani) has a range of 100 miles assuming the search aircraft is at 20,000 ft. The Emergency Missions (chrono) range is 90 miles at the same 20,000 ft. Other than that, they're pretty much the same in different packages.

One note. You said you go 'off the beaten path'. Are you talking about hiking & such or are you planing to use this in a plane? Are you looking to use this for emergency while on the ground, such as hiking, mountain climbing, etc? reason I ask is the frequency it uses is reserved for aircraft emergencies. I believe it is restricted to aircraft use only. If you won't be flying, I'd recommend checking with the FAA to see if it can be used for any emergency, or just aircraft. Remember, it'll transmit about 100 miles to a plane that's looking for you at 20,000 ft. So someone has to already be looking for you for it to work. Also, and again just FYI I believe the aircraft frequency is being changed in the next few years. I really don't think this will be an issue as I'd expect Breitling would adjust the transmitter to the proper spec (it's not that big a deal to change the transmitter freq), and I'd assume they'd do this for no or nominal charge. BUT, you may want to ask a Breitling dealer to ask Breitling what their plans are for that should you decide to get one.

Good luck! Do let us know if you get them, and if so I believe you'll be WTF's first! :thumbup1: So do post some pictures for us to enjoy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a blue dial emergency mission that has truly never been worn, my dad just got it for christmas and says that it is to heavy to wear haha. If you are interested in it let me know.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I have a blue dial emergency mission that has truly never been worn, my dad just got it for christmas and says that it is to heavy to wear haha. If you are interested in it let me know.
Mr Hype,

If it's possible please could you post pictures of your Dad's watch here. I'm sure I'm not the only member who would love to see it.:001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
GUYS, THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT...One down and one to go...! My son just received his Breitling Emergency Mission....white dial and in perfect condition....came with box , paperwork, test kit, video and all the rest...contacted Breitling and registered it. This is a GRAIL watch for sure....Now I have to find mine....more to follow..Thanks again, Rick
:thumbup:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Rick,

Congrats to your son! :thumbup1: I'm sure he'll enjoy it for many years to come. If you get a chance, do post some pictures. As was mentioned, we don't have many owners here of the Emergency's, so it would be great to see some pics..

Good luck on finding yours.. Hope to see a post tht you got it really soon! :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Congrats on the Emergency mission - please post pics if possible, we do love 'em here (and I think everyone's getting bored with my Superocean....:blushing:).
Good luck with acquiring your own 'grail'

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Mr. Hype,

That's a great looking watch! Thanks for posting... We certainly don't get to see many Emergency's here....

Nice color combo! :drool: :drool:

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Although I don't appreciate your sarcasm, I will show you the watch.
Sarcasm?????

It must have slipped past me :confused1:

Anyway - fantastic watch! Thanks for posting the pic. As Scott said, we don't see many Emergency's in this forum so it's a rare treat.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Although I don't appreciate your sarcasm, I will show you the watch.
Errr? Sarcasm? I don't get you I'm afraid. I hope I didn't offend some how. Although I'm really struggling to see how I could have.

BTW, Great looking Emergency Mission.:thumbup:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Wurtzburg,

Welcome to WTF & the Breitling forum!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1: Hope to see you join in the fun often!

Those are some great looking watches. As I mentioned above, we don't have too many members with the Emergency's, so it's great to see those.... :drool: That's a great looking Aerospace too!

I've still got the Emergency on my 'need-to-get' list - but there's alot on that list... :wink: :laugh:

Welcome again!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hi Mr Wurzburg and a warm welcome to WTF.

We hope to see you and your wonderful Breitlings here often. Great pictures as well.:thumbup::thumbup:

Crikey, last week I thought we had no Emergencies on the forum. Now it seems we have three. Brilliant.:biggrin:

@Scott. I have also always admired the Emergency timepieces. It's always had a place on my huge wish list (and that's just the Breitlings:eek:hmy:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well update news......My son picked up a fantastic White dial Breitling Emergency Mission....(photos coming soon). I on the other hand located another Breitling I have wanted for awhile....The Breitling Avenger.....here are a few quick shots with better ones coming soon. Great hearing from all of you! This forum is not so fueled by nit picky stuff as another one I have been on. Great bunch of guys over here, I hope to make some new friends on this forum. Here are a few pics...!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HERE ARE SOME QUICK PHOTOS OF MY SON'S EMERGENCY THAT I TOLD YOU GUYS HE PICKED UP.....I WILL DO SOME BETTER ONES SOON AND POST THEM....THANKS AGAIN.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Wow Rick,

Double Congratulations go to you and your son for adding those two beauties to your collection.:thumbup::thumbup:

We appreciate you thoughts on this Forum as well. It is a great place to visit and we hope to find you, your watches and your valued opinion here often.

Keep them pictures coming as well.:biggrin:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Rick,

Congrats on the fine looking Avenger!!! And your sons Emergency. Those are 2 great watches.. Hope to see pictures of your Emergency soon too!! :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts