WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you really care about brand history?
For the most part, I certainly don't.
Sure, it's nice to know the company that built your watch has existed for 200 years. It's even nice to look at old timepieces and see the brand's progression.
But do I really care, say, that Rolex developed the first waterproof case? Will it make me buy a Rolex? Probably - almost certainly - not. Though I do appreciate the Oyster case.
Truth is, I want to know what Rolex and other brands have done for me lately.
That's more important than pedigree. At least to me.
So brand history - while fun and fascinating - doesn't sell me. It's essentially meaningless.
The only exception is the trumped up histories, which really tick me off. I find it offensive when a company revives a brand name - after 20 or 30 years or more - and then tries to claim: We're back! Better than ever. The tradition of excellence continues!
Hooey!
Unless, of course, the company revives the old designs along with the name.
Which rarely happens. Truth is, I can't cite one instance of this.
So why do they do it? Are we so gullible, so desperate for tradition we'll buy into anything?
I hope not. A recreated or authentic past is no guarantee of quality.
Relatively new brands like Bedat (about a decade old) deliver outstanding value and craftsmanship without the historic slight of hand.
Why not just be honest?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Breguet’s history I always found mesmerizing, I use to find their watches for the most part ugly, but as I learned more about the history, those odd coin edge cases and blued hands started to look very nice to me…so I guess I am influenced a bit by brand history, at least with some brands

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree that tradition and history are by no means a guarantee of quality. But I do believe that history (specifically true history) and tradition add to the feeling of owning the watch, that just maybe your beloved timepiece belongs to a long tradition of wonderful craftsmanship, at least that is my 2 cents..maybe I am just trying to defend all those past purchases and ward off any buyers remorse

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I agree that what a watch company is doing now is what's most important, after all, unless you're buying an antique, the most important factor is the quality of the current product.

After that, buying a watch with a long and storied history, adds to the value of the watch, because reputation carries with it brand recognition and the general perception that your purchase demonstrates good taste and good judgment on your part. Add to that the prestige that comes from showing the world that you have considerable disposable income and you've got yourself a babe magnet.

The reason that unscrupulous sellers generate fake histories is because everyone wants a watch with a story that imparts those qualities of good taste, good judgment, and perhaps, an eye for good value.

So, the buyer, seeing a watch at a very low price wants to assure himself that he's buying a watch with a reputation and that he's getting a "near-luxury" watch at the price of a top of the line Timex.

So, he visits the site and sees that the watch offered on ebay for $175 has a MSRP of $3595.95. He knows nothing of watches and puts his money down and is happy until some watch savvy colleague confides that the watch is really worth about $25.

General Motors has a long and storied history of building some of the best cars of their time. Today, well, it's not such a rosy situation.

Fifty years ago, no one in America had ever heard of Honda, but today, Honda builds some of the finest cars ever to be built.

It's good to do your homework and take the time to look beyond the window dressing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Do I care about brand history?

Yes, I do.... If the price of the watch is above $1000, with such a high price tagged to it, I certainly want to 'feel' good having to spend that much on a watch that I could probably get at much lesser price.

Brand History in a way is like one of the marketing tools that brand companies try to emphasize and tapped on. Vacheron Constantin's '250years of uninterrupted history' -- how does that sound?

Wow I say! Will I get a VC watch? Perhaps, if I have that big fat bonus and find myself too drawn to a VC.

Besides, when a brand has a history, watch collectors and novices will then talk about it. hence watch forums like ours here, are born!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides wanting to know the durability, performance and functions of the watch, we often want to know is there any 'history' behind a watch!?

History is what we often possess and treasure, as one gets older. something like 'memories' and 'heritage'. I think history has this unseen power that may slowly sits into one's mind when thinking about purchasing the watch.

So I think brand history matters, if you hit a certain price point for the goods purchased. If not, with or without history, who cares! It's just 10 bucks only!! :001_tt2:

Of course, Mr B is right that some brand companies just OVERDO it! I prefer the more subtle approach. Too much marketing simply just devalue the watch, ironically.

·
Banned
2,453 Posts
Do you really care about brand history?
For the most part, I certainly don't.
Sure, it's nice to know the company that built your watch has existed for 200 years. It's even nice to look at old timepieces and see the brand's progression.
But do I really care, say, that Rolex developed the first waterproof case? Will it make me buy a Rolex? Probably - almost certainly - not. Though I do appreciate the Oyster case.
Truth is, I want to know what Rolex and other brands have done for me lately.
That's more important than pedigree. At least to me.
So brand history - while fun and fascinating - doesn't sell me. It's essentially meaningless.
The only exception is the trumped up histories, which really tick me off. I find it offensive when a company revives a brand name - after 20 or 30 years or more - and then tries to claim: We're back! Better than ever. The tradition of excellence continues!
Hooey!
Unless, of course, the company revives the old designs along with the name.
Which rarely happens. Truth is, I can't cite one instance of this.
So why do they do it? Are we so gullible, so desperate for tradition we'll buy into anything?
I hope not. A recreated or authentic past is no guarantee of quality.
Relatively new brands like Bedat (about a decade old) deliver outstanding value and craftsmanship without the historic slight of hand.
Why not just be honest?
I agree Boscoe, I could'nt have said that better myself:wink:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think we give enough credit to the brand name. A brand name gives us comfort. A brand name assures us that the advertising is accurate. When we see "Swiss Made" on some of our favorite TV brand watches, we think "hey, at least they made the minimum requirements for that label". When we see a real Swiss watch with a name that we trust, it doesn't even need to label the product "Swiss Made". We know.

On the other hand, if Rolex were to get caught cheating and buying parts from whereever (no offense to wearever), we would be angry, dissapointed, and the next time we were in the market to purchase, we might really think twice that brand. If a TV brand gets caught playing cutesy with its advertising, we say "hey, its only an Invicta". :eek:

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I like to read the history of the brand. . . . as long as it isn't revisionist history. (HINT, HINT. . . based in S. Florida:wink:)

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@rob: I agree with the value of a brand name (which perhaps is based on a storied history), but I'm more concerned about the current quality - and current brand standing - than what a company did did 50 years ago.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
To me it is important, b/c I would like to know the company's reputation on standing behind what it sells. For example, there are other companies that have horrendous customer service, and to me, that is associated with that brand, so I will avoid them.

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@time: that's a bit different than what i'm talking about, I think.
I'm really addressing the idea that a particular company has been in business for 200 years or 50 years etc. To me that has little to do with their quality. Customer service, for example, could've gone into the dumper the last 5 years - even though the last 195 years was absolutely brilliant.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would have to disagree with you slightly in regards to some watch collectors who concentrate on a specific watch model, like the seamaster and the changes it went through throughout its history. Much like a person who collects a specific car model like a Corvette, they may have a 1958, 1963,66,69 and the most recent. I think the history of the watch company is important on how models like the seamaster has changed from its first days til now, and some collectors want to be a part of that brands history.

I always make calculated decisions when I buy a watch I first think about what I want in a watch, am I looking for a dress watch, divers watch, what type of complications, then I see whats available and do price comparisons, some history of the manafacturer might sway my decision, as far as its value and recognition in the watch industry. I have bought watches on impulse before, but when I did, it was a watch that I was familiar with so I know what I was paying for.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
I guess I'm a little ambivalent about brand history, but posting here obviously means I have an opinion. An example of my ambivalence is Zodiac. I first saw the brand in a Watch Time collectors magazine probably about three years ago. My first reaction to the watch that was featured was, "Wow." Then I saw the brand was of Swiss origin. Finally, nearly three years later I went out and bought one, then two, Zodiac watches, mainly based on appearance and the Swiss origins. The rub came after those purchases, when I did a little poking around on the Web, and found out that a few years ago that Fossil had purchased the brand. I'm wasn't disappointed by that as much as the new owner's reluctance to give a complete history of the brand on the Zodiac web site as well as the difficulty obtaining any information about the movement. Three different times I have tried through Zodiac to find out exactly what was the engine of my two timepieces. And each time I'd get an e-mail back essentially saying all they could tell me was Swiss quartz or Swiss automatic, even when I asked for specifics. Come on, folks. I want information about two relatively expensive products that I purchase from you. How hard is it to be completely honest to someone who is obviously a repeat customer? So when I look at my Zodiacs, which I very much adore and think the fit, finish and quality is superb, I get a little agitated that at the twelve o'clock position, right below the original logo and brand name is 1882, the founding year of the brand. If you're going to make a big deal about its heritage, then do so completely. And answer your customers' cotton pickin' questions with honesty and integrity!:mad:

There now. I'll step off my soap box.:D

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're going to make a big deal about its heritage, then do so completely. And answer your customers' cotton pickin' questions with honesty and integrity!:mad:

There now. I'll step off my soap box.:D

My point exactly. Wait, don't get off the soap box. Just skooch over a bit and give me some room to climb up beside you

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm of the opinion that a Brand matters, but that it must be relevant in our current times. I'll see if I can qualify my position in some thoughts....

I too disdain brand rebirths where someone gets access to a historically storied name and begins production again almost always via contract /outsourced manufacturing. There is no DNA connecting the modern company to the historic one. The watches can have an interesting look at times, but are often just "lipstick on a pig" --- aka another "me too" offering with a snazzy dial/case containing, at best, a utilitarian movement. This is only slightly better than a fashion watch in my opinion where fashion watches are the absolute bottom of the scale.

I really like the tradition that comes from solid brands where the company has managed to be independent for long periods of time. This is what I believe a true brand should be. Rolex, JLC, PP, VC, Seiko, and only a handful of others meet this level and they are the brands that all other companies covet. Each of these brands is where it is because today's company is in fact yesterday's company. Also in each of these brands has for over 100 years produced watch via a combination of talent, quality, and innovation.

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
@time: that's a bit different than what i'm talking about, I think.
I'm really addressing the idea that a particular company has been in business for 200 years or 50 years etc. To me that has little to do with their quality. Customer service, for example, could've gone into the dumper the last 5 years - even though the last 195 years was absolutely brilliant.
Actually, I feel like customer service goes hand in hand with quality, one without the other is like a fine automobile without an engine. If a very reputable company with years of fine craftsmanship has their customer service department go south, even if it is 5 years out of 190, then, the company loses face and their reputation IMHO. They must be able to support a product and customer from the pre and post sales aspect of the transaction.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I think it is one factor...In 2008 I plan to buy the Omega "Moon watch"...And I'm buying it because of its history, not Omega's history.

·
Registered
175 Posts
History is definitely important to me

I collect dive watches by Seiko, Doxa, Omega, Zodiac and a couple of others. These all have rich histories which is important to me. Time has proven that watches with a long history, whether continuous or broken by a few years, will have more collector interest and greater value retention than watches in the "Johnny come lately" category.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It would be interesting if one of our members could compile a list of when companies actually began. As Boscoe stated using Bedat as an example many of our most popular brands are less than 15 years old. Then, again as mentioned, there are the "phoney" company's like Invicta that claim history but really have none as they are just a old name that somebody bought recently--in this case Eyal(or so he claims) in the mid 90's. Ball is another good example. While they claim history back to the Kipton train wreck the current Ball is not the Ball of old. There really are few that have history and production dating back to the company"s founders and those are names to be cherished.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts