WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading Outside magazine yesterday and came across an article on Bozeman watches. I just googled and found their website.

www.bozemanwatch.com/collection

What do you guys think about high end limited production watches made in the good ole' U S of A? I do like the "Smoke Jumper."

Do you think Bozeman will actually make it?

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
This kind of goes along with this thread:

"Swiss Mov't A Turn-Off?"

Personally, at four-grand-plus, "Swiss Mov't" starts to become a bit of a turn-off for me. Given the prices, and the fact that I've never heard of this brand, I think I would be more inclined to spend the same money on a watch with a solid pedigree: Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc.

Also, one of my main competitors is in Bozeman, and I just wish that whole area would fall into a tragic state of economic despair...

:laugh:

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This kind of goes along with this thread:

"Swiss Mov't A Turn-Off?"

Personally, at four-grand-plus, "Swiss Mov't" starts to become a bit of a turn-off for me. Given the prices, and the fact that I've never heard of this brand, I think I would be more inclined to spend the same money on a watch with a solid pedigree: Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc.

Also, one of my main competitors is in Bozeman, and I just wish that whole area would fall into a tragic state of economic despair...

I hear ya. What does " Chronometer Officially Swiss Certified " mean?

·
Banned
927 Posts

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My choice..

I like the idea of a USA company....Now if they would create their own movement we would have something here. The USA has lost its position in the watch industry that it held years ago.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My choice..

I like the idea of a USA company....Now if they would create their own movement we would have something here. The USA has lost its position in the watch industry that it held years ago.
That watch looks like a grandfather clock. Were you a fan of the Dodgers when they were stil in Brooklyn? j/k

·
Registered
129 Posts
Given the prices, and the fact that I've never heard of this brand, I think I would be more inclined to spend the same money on a watch with a solid pedigree: Rolex, Breitling, Omega, etc.
i tend to agree... and i do hope they make it.

their target market may be the seasonal "cowboys" who ski in the beautiful mountains of colorado etc. and have lot's of money to collect and support companies like this.

good luck to them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I will say this. I don't think you would ever regret buying a watch from any of the companies mentioned in this thread.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
They're a little out of my usual price range, but if you like 'em, I'd say go for it. I don't see watches as investments. A good Swiss movement and a well-designed-and built case equals a satisfactory timepiece, I should think.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Steve;13646 said:
Personally, at four-grand-plus, "Swiss Mov't" starts to become a bit of a turn-off for me.

I have to agree, since all the research that I have done indicates that "Swiss Movt" is not an authorized term, in fact, as watch production in Switzerland is a matter of law, it is not a lawful term.

Putting that term on a multi-thousand dollar watch seems like a blunder that people who are serious about the watch business would not make.

Unless, I have misinterpreted the data, "Swiss Movt" on the dial or case says, "I have a very expensive watch that may or may not have a fine Swiss movement in it, but I can't tell without removing the back, because the people who assembled the watch and marketed it were too stupid to research the Swiss watch industry standards enough to put the correct markings on the dad-blamed thing."

Another thing that raised my eyebrows, is this from the "Our Vision" page:

The certification process is only undertaken by and awarded to 3% of the entire Swiss mechanical movement market, and in the American market next to 0, a proportion that "underscores the exceptional nature of a chronometer. To earn chronometer certification, a movement must not only be made from the highest quality components, but also be the object of special care on part of the finest watchmakers and timers during assembly."(courtesy Wikipedia)

http://www.bozemanwatch.com/vision.asp
Now I'm not as hard on Wikipedia as a lot of folks here, in fact, a study was done some time ago that showed that Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica were just about even when it comes to accuracy of content.

However, if this is a serious watch manufacturer and not just a company out to make the most of the current "watch craze", I think they could write their own copy without having to quote any encyclopedia.

I hate to say this, but the "watch craze" is beginning to resemble the "cigar craze" of the early nineties.

Everyone was getting in on the act and buying up cigars by the boatload and putting their own bands on them and retailers were popping out of the woodwork.

I have nothing against old names being resurrected or saved from an ignominious demise by legitimate watch companies, but some of these "Johnny-Come-Latelies" aren't really engendering a lot of confidence.

Maybe it's a good product, but do the people behind the watch know what they are doing, or are they just some entrepreneurs with some machinery, a minimally trained workforce, and the URL to Wikipedia?

When the bubble bursts, where will Bozeman Watch Company and a host of others be when the watch needs servicing?

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grady,

It states that the movement IS certified by these high standards. It states that it is a certified Chronometer. Thanks for pointing that out.

They are saying that their movement is swiss made AND certified. Not all companies that have the dreaded "Swiss Movt" can say this.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Well, if they went to all that trouble, why didn't they read the part regulations that says that Swiss Movt means nothing.

Like I said, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing a serious watch maker, seller, assembler would make, nor does it inspire confidence.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Well, if they went to all that trouble, why didn't they read the part regulations that says that Swiss Movt means nothing.

Like I said, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing a serious watch maker, seller, assembler would make, nor does it inspire confidence.
I'm not sure if the "Swiss Laws" pertaining to the various usages of the word Swiss combined with Mov't carry any real weight outside of Switzerland.
Some companies choose to use Swiss Mov't as a smokescreen to mislead and other more established in the "WIS World" use it as more of a full disclosure description.
Many "German Made" watches use Swiss Movements yet say made in Germany on the dial.
Perhaps the fine and talented craftsmen at Bozeman,in conjunction with their marketing people felt that Swiss Mov't would be bette recieved than Made in US on a watch of his caliber.
In the watch industry it seems like the very mention of anything "Swiss" is a slippery slope.
Can Switzerland go after any one who violates these "rules"??
I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The reason the Swiss don't approve of the Swiss Movt mark is because it is too easily confused with Swiss Made, unless you have very good eyes or a magnifying glass handy.

The correct mark is Swiss Movement.

How hard is that?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Maybe I'm too young, or just used to things "out West", but I'm not even a little attracted to either Bozeman or Montana Watch Company's offerings.

When I see them, my mind wanders to turquoise, cheap silver, bolo ties, and buckskin with gratuitous tassels. These outfits are either worn by Yankees on vacation or the mayor of a western town. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are of high quality and they certainly are interesting. I'm just not a fan of the "buffalo bill" style.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Can Switzerland go after any one who violates these "rules"??
I doubt it.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that.

We were making guitars built from Tasmanian Blackwood. The problem is that nobody knows what "Blackwood"is. It's similar enough to Koa that we called it "Tasmanian Koa".

Well, the problem is that Koa grows in one place: Hawaii. That's it. If it's not from Hawaii, it's not Koa.

If I understand it correctly, the State of Hawaii actually contacted us and told us we couldn't call it Tasmanian Koa, and that they would "take steps" to keep us from calling it that.

I know it's a different industry, but the principle is pretty much the same...

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to say that.

We were making guitars built from Tasmanian Blackwood. The problem is that nobody knows what "Blackwood"is. It's similar enough to Koa that we called it "Tasmanian Koa".

Well, the problem is that Koa grows in one place: Hawaii. That's it. If it's not from Hawaii, it's not Koa.

If I understand it correctly, the State of Hawaii actually contacted us and told us we couldn't call it Tasmanian Koa, and that they would "take steps" to keep us from calling it that.

I know it's a different industry, but the principle is pretty much the same...
Different Industry but same country.
Swiss laws may have little effect on what those outside of Switzerland say on their watch dials.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
The reason the Swiss don't approve of the Swiss Movt mark is because it is too easily confused with Swiss Made, unless you have very good eyes or a magnifying glass handy.

The correct mark is Swiss Movement.

How hard is that?
It seems to me that Bozeman Watch Co. (aside from the Swiss Mov't designation on the dial) provides a well documented disclosure of their commitment to producing fine (and COSC certified) timepieces.
I don't think that they are trying to confuse anybody.

Others with a more clouded history are the ones that give me pause to wonder.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I feel pretty certain that they are putting together a good product, but when you're asking thousands for your product, details mean a lot.

Five to ten grand is a bunch of money for anyone and if you're going to put out that kind of cash, you really do want all the t's crossed and i's dotted, so to speak.

Personally, I'd be more comfortable with a Rolex, a couple of Omegas or an entry-level IWC.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts