WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

As you might remember I was keen to add another watch to my collection and the criteria was that it had to be on a bracelet and preferably not from a manufacturer that I had already got in my collection. After a little bit of saving (in a 4 month no new watch drought) and safe in the knowledge that tomorrow was pay day, I went into town with my short list down to two. It was either going to be the Rolex Milgauss GV or a Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer.

Firstly I tried both on. I was leaning towards the Omega as something about the Rolex just wasn't quite working for me on the wrist. Then two things happened:

1) Wife says "what's with that ridiculous second hand? It looks like a childs toy". Not to be put off I asked the dealer for the discount he was prepared to offer (leading me to number 2)

2) Zero discount on the Milgauss. Not allowed by Rolex on this model in their shop. Margin too tight. Etc. And he really wasn't going to budge one percentage point. Well I don't pay full MSRP now unless it is going to be something so rare and high end I have no choice so now the Rolex was definitely out.

Considering I was leaning towards the Omega anyway (as it genuinely looked better on my wrist) I asked about discount on the Seamaster Aqua Terra and negotiated a 20% discount of MRSP. Safe to say that was the clincher and then it simply came down to dial colour preference.

So watch number 10 joined my growing army of timepieces and it hails from Omega. I hope you like it - but if you don't feel free to express your opinions! I'm never touchy if people like my choices or not. :biggrin:

Here are some pics:

Now I just need to locate a nice jumping hour watch....

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Nice Omega, GETS!

As your wife stated, the Milgauss has the second hand that would look at home on a child's toy. Perhaps someday it will grow on me, which would be good because I like everything else about the GV version. If it was just the tip of the hand that was orange, but still had the lightning bold shape (like some of the vintage Milgauss watches), it wouldn't bother me much since it would be more understated, although I'd still prefer it to be straight with an orange tip.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Second Hand...........

Hi Gets,

Congrats on your new catch. Awesome watch and movement. I myself is shopping for a Co-Axial. While doing my research on the mov't, I notice tht Omega lowered the beat count on the co-axial. Compare to watches tht beat at 28,800 and the co-axial at 25,000, what is your take on the sweeping second hand? No problem or abit rough?:confused1: Your comments is much appreciated.....

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Out of curiosity, how big is your wrist?
About 7.25 to 7.50 (I'm naturally quite slim but I weight train quite a lot so I bulk up to a bigger than natural size).

I'm 181 tall (6 foot) and about 200 pounds too - so bigger watches are easier to carry off for me.

Regards,

·
Banned
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Gets,

Congrats on your new catch. Awesome watch and movement. I myself is shopping for a Co-Axial. While doing my research on the mov't, I notice tht Omega lowered the beat count on the co-axial. Compare to watches tht beat at 28,800 and the co-axial at 25,000, what is your take on the sweeping second hand? No problem or abit rough?:confused1: Your comments is much appreciated.....
It's a great point and one I discussed with the salesman. In comparison to my other watches with a centre big second hand it is not especially smooth. From the naked eye I count about 3 to 4 movements per second.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thks bro.....

Thks Gets:thumbup1:

This could be a deal breaker for me. I'm starting to think the George Daniels Co-Axial is all marketing. Might go back to the Seiko Spring Drive I was lookin b4 or even the older Omega 2500.:cool1:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.