WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
If you plan on having Rolex ever service the watch, or possibly ever sell the watch DO NOT sell that dial!!!!

I believe your paperwork says the dial that's on it, and Rolex will NOT service your watch (and probably not a Rolex-authorized watchmaker either) if the dial isn't the original listed or if Rolex didn't change it out in the service center.

Also, where'd you get the Serti dial? If it's not directly from Rolex (which I doubt) then I'd assume it's a remade Rolex dial at best, fake dial at worst. It could be authentic as Rolex did sell dials as parts years ago, but I would assume the worst unless you have a copy of it's sales receipt from Rolex. And if it is a fake dial Rolex will confiscate it if it's ever sent for service.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you plan on having Rolex ever service the watch, or possibly ever sell the watch DO NOT sell that dial!!!!

I believe your paperwork says the dial that's on it, and Rolex will NOT service your watch (and probably not a Rolex-authorized watchmaker either) if the dial isn't the original listed or if Rolex didn't change it out in the service center.

Also, where'd you get the Serti dial? If it's not directly from Rolex (which I doubt) then I'd assume it's a remade Rolex dial at best, fake dial at worst. It could be authentic as Rolex did sell dials as parts years ago, but I would assume the worst unless you have a copy of it's sales receipt from Rolex. And if it is a fake dial Rolex will confiscate it if it's ever sent for service.
If it's a 2005 watch it's out of warranty. So if it ever goes to Rolex for service all he has to say to them is he bought it used. Rolex wants to put independent watchmakers out of the Rolex servicing business so they will service it.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
If it's a 2005 watch it's out of warranty. So if it ever goes to Rolex for service all he has to say to them is he bought it used. Rolex wants to put independent watchmakers out of the Rolex servicing business so they will service it.

Yes and no. Rolex will probably service it if it has minor fake parts, but they'll make the customer buy new parts to replace the fake ones and keep the fake parts. Yes, Rolex will service it if it has Rolex-authentic non-issues parts, but they'll usually require the customer to put it back into 'original' condition first, or charge the customer to do so. And a Rolex dial isn't cheap,I think they're over $8000 for the blue dial. Rolex wants the watch to be how they made it, not how the person who actually paid for it wants it. :001_rolleyes:

If the dial being put on is an original dial and if the watch model number originally was offered with either the blue dial or serti dial option, then you're OK. I realize the OP has now clarified the dial is authentic, so he's OK in this situation. But, if the watch model number is different between the blue and serti then Rolex may give you problems as the watch no longer matches a 'factory condition'. You'll find plenty of situations where members have had this issue with Rolex. Rolex even freely admits they do this. Hell, Rolex won't even service a walk-in with an aftermarket bracelet on the watch. So before selling the watch, I'd verify if the serti dial Sub is the same model # as the blue dial Sub. If so, then there is likely to not be an issue with Rolex-provided servicing. If not you could have some expensive issues later. I can't recall the Serti Sub model # is a 16613 or not, but some quick googleing should answer it for the OP..

You could still have some minor issues with resale if the dial color is on the original paperwork as it won't match. Your top-dollar will come if you have everything matching, and since your paperwork won't match the watch, some prospective buyers will shy away due to it. This is a minor concern I think, but one nonetheless to be aware of. Personally, as much as I think the Rolex sub has the best blue dial on any watch anywhere, I like the serti dialed Sub look much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.