WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to watches but I have an interest in Hamilton watches............ just a quick question. I found a Hamilton "Myron" with a black dial .....were there any black dial "Myron's" produced ? Any help would be appreciated.
Andy.

·
Super Moderator
16,708 Posts
I checked the Hamilton salesman's catalogs and found the Myron appeared right when regular watch production started up after World War 2 (1946) and was produced continuously until the start of the 1952 sales catalogs. All during that time, no black dialed Myrons were ever offered.
I'm wondering if what you found is a modern re-issue. I know the Piping Rock was re-issued, and I have a re-issued Ventura. If it isn't a re-issue, it must either have a repainted dial or be a counterfeit.
Again: Hamilton never sold an original production Myron with a black dial.

• Helpful
Reactions: BunkerBoy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the Hamilton salesman's catalogs and found the Myron appeared right when regular watch production started up after World War 2 (1946) and was produced continuously until the start of the 1952 sales catalogs. All during that time, no black dialed Myrons were ever offered.
I'm wondering if what you found is a modern re-issue. I know the Piping Rock was re-issued, and I have a re-issued Ventura. If it isn't a re-issue, it must either have a repainted dial or be a counterfeit.
Thanks Bill. Its original but like you said its had the dial painted black
Thanks Bill.....The watch is genuine Myron serial number on the movement puts it at 1949. As you said its had the dial painted black , maybe it was in real bad state..........Its on a non English site so maybe lost that info in translation..Heres a pic........looks quite striking.
Andy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,708 Posts
Yeah, that looks WAY too new to be an original dial. Since you're new to collecting, be super-careful of eBay sellers from India. A few of them buy old watches and doll them up (sometimes with odd colored dials and sometimes not) and conveniently "forget" to mention the watches are refurbished! They look great, but they're far from worthy of a serious collection. If you're interested in buying it (it does look nice!), I'd think twice about pulling the trigger if the seller is asking much more than $175-200. Except for the age, there is absolutely nothing special about the Myron. They were available for a good 6 years, so they aren't especially "rare".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that looks WAY too new to be an original dial. Since you're new to collecting, be super-careful of eBay sellers from India. A few of them buy old watches and doll them up (sometimes with odd colored dials and sometimes not) and conveniently "forget" to mention the watches are refurbished! They look great, but they're far from worthy of a serious collection. If you're interested in buying it (it does look nice!), I'd think twice about pulling the trigger if the seller is asking much more than $175-200. Except for the age, there is absolutely nothing special about the Myron. They were available for a good 6 years, so they aren't especially "rare". It doesn't even have the premium Hamilton 770 movement!
Thanks again Bill........... I'm not into collecting watches. I just like the look of Hamilton watches and they well made........ Just want to buy one to wear and they seem good value. Maybe I will get the bug and start collecting who knows. They asking $250.00......... same person has a original Myron for $150.00

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is.........they want too much!!! ......but sure does look pretty............Like Bill said the Myron is not a real collectable piece ...........so repainting the the dial may not be a bad thing, it has been done well and given it a new life and not destroying a piece of serious history. Its had a service and the vender says on his time machine !!!!! its +40 seconds a day. I will make an offer.
Andy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts