WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Pals

Let's Give a Big
Hand to Terry Diver and Mr Engphoto who are the new admins for the Photography Forum:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Guys, it's great having you both here and what with your respective and collective backgrounds and talents, the Photography Forum will be going places lighting our new mansion, the brightest and best in the whole www.

You're gonna be a great team Pals

The Best

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Congrats Guys:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Regards
Bob:D

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)
thanks guys,

I know there are a lot of members like me who would really like to get those really WoW shots of our watches and really aren't exactly sure how. then there are many members that know very well how to get that great shot.

I'd like to get everybody involved in helping each other get to the point you would like. I read where people say they don't post fotos cause they aren't up to par with others, be proud to take and show those pics, thats how you get better pictures... we all need each others help here, everyone has something to contribute.

thanks, and lets all have fun...

:):)
diver88

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank guys .......

Thanks guys :blushing:

I hope i can learn some things hanging around here more. I have seen some great photos around this place and cant wait to see more.
If i can help let me know, i have been trying to make nice photographs for years and have done most of the things wrong more than twice ... i might be able to help point you in the right direction.:wink:

Think i may be the odd man out here in equiptment ........ im a Nikon man, have had a Nikon since '76 ...... an old F with motordrive i still have on a shelf today.:001_tt2:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love Nikons too buddy having used them over a short spell some years back. Pretty bullet-proof SLRs :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Catch you soon

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:) and Mr Engphoto,

a BIG THANKS to you for coming in and sharing and helping.
you are going to teach all of us a lot I'm sure. (and I need it)

now Jeff, I also decided recently to purchase a Nikon d40 camera which
so far is pretty much a mystery to me, but I have managed a pic or two out of it but am really looking forward to getting all I can from it.:)

thanks again buddy,:001_smile:

diver88

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome to the new mods.

I haven't done a lot of close up work and do not have a macro lens or light box to play with so I'm all ears when it comes to tips and tricks.

Dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
do not have a macro lens or light box to play with so I'm all ears when it comes to tips and tricks.

Hey Dave, you have a macro, you just dont know it :wink:

I have taken many quick and dirty macro photos with my 50mm lens held up backwards to my camera body ........ not the best or the easiest way to do macro photography but it will work in a pinch :huh:

I know Nikon even makes a "reversing ring" for their lenses. Just screw it on where the filter goes and it has a lens mount on the other side for putting your lens on backwards :wink:

I cant remember the math but with a reversing ring and an extention tube you could do 1:1 image size on your film/chip :001_unsure:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Welcome to everyone and although I've been working photos for over 20 years myself, I'll be the first to admit there is still plenty to learn.:confused1:

And, for the record, there are reversing rings for Canon lenses, but I don't think Canon makes them (not canon brand- not for the EF lenses anyway).

Canon offers (as do off-brands) extension tubes which do essentially the same thing, but preserve all the functionality of the lens attached (auto focus etc.).

Although I have reversed my shorter prime lenses in the past on my manual F-1's (try a 24 or 35mm reversed for some interesting effects) I prefer to keep the rear element jealously protected, particularly when the repair cost for these lenses is up there with Rolex repair rates...:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

Mr Jim,

then what would be your best advice on a macro set-up for a beginner wanting to use what they have (inexpensively) to start?

for instance, if a person had an 8mp Canon Rebel XT with the kit 18-55 lens and didn't want to spend hundreds on a lens just yet to get some decent watch pictures, would an extention tube be a good way to start? how about these "macro filters" that screw on to your lens?

what do you think?

diver88

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with both ideas.

For the best image quality, an extension tube is hard to beat. For extreme close up work, try a set of belows, which fit between the lens and body. Some even allow tilt and shift so you can correct for the extremely narrow depth of field.

The filters also work (i have some for my old FD 50mm 1.2L) but the quality is usually poor with these. I used them for special effects, combining them in a stack with other filters etc. to get some wacky pictures.

The Canon extension tubes are expensive, but there are 'off-brands' that fit and function. I personally won't use non-Canon lenses or accessories on my cameras, but they do work, and save a lot of money for the hobbyist.

The best place for photo equipment (new anyway) is www.bhphotovideo.com

I buy all my new gear there...:thumbup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I agree with both ideas.

The Canon extension tubes are expensive, but there are 'off-brands' that fit and function. I personally won't use non-Canon lenses or accessories on my cameras, but they do work, and save a lot of money for the hobbyist.
I've seen really cheap extension tubes (non-Canon) for sale on THAT auction site for under $10. Does it really matter if they are non-Canon if they work?

Dave

·
Registered
748 Posts
The problem is not the $10.00 tube; the problem is the cost of repair to the body should something go wrong and the time without the body (which can cost more in lost work)...

I personally can't afford to be without my digital body (I still keep film as a back-up for all paying jobs).

As I said, for the hobbyist, it should be fine. If you need to repair your camera, you can afford to wait a month or more for the repair to be completed. I cannot do that...

·
Registered
416 Posts
OK J!m... humor me here. Just what am I missing in your post?

What kind of damage to the camera body is possible? I certainly don't want to take a risk with mine either. But lets get serious, it's just a piece of plastic. Logic would dictate that if it fits on the mount it would work. In one of your earlier posts up the page you stated that there are off brands that do function and work, it was your preference to use Canon only.

Dave

·
Registered
748 Posts
It is slightly more than a piece of plastic and metal bits, but essentially you are correct. No glass inside to affect the image. Only a light leak could cause a poor image in a tube. That, and any miss-alignment between the body mount and lens mount.

There are electrical connections to get the camera info to the lens, and vice-versa.

It should be fine. I just won't take the risk myself.

I have an "off-brand" FD-EF lens converter, and did not have any problems with that the few times I had to use it. The only reason I got that part is that the Canon lens converters are like hen's teeth, and worth their weight in Palladium if you can find one...:eek:hmy:

So, if I was a hobbyist with a digital rebel or something like that, it wouldn't be a problem. However, with bodies and lenses individually costing as much as a new Omega, I tend to be a bit more cautious...

I don't even use non-Canon lenses! BUT, I may get the Sigma 8mm/3.5 as Canon does not offer this lens any longer (they used to for FD format), and if Canon offers it when I need it, I will go Canon all the way!

·
Registered
416 Posts
OK, understand what you are saying. I just got concerned when you mentioned possible camera body damage and you did not really explain what type of damage could occur, cause to me it doesn't really matter whether or not the idiot (no offense intended) behind the camera defines himself as a pro or hobbyist. The damage is still the same.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts