WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi Guys I Was Watching A Video About The Blancpain 50f, And The Most Extraordinary Thing Was Its Scratch Resistant Sapphire Bezel.

So, Tell Me About This: Gmt2 Ceramic Bezel Vs 50f Sapphire Bezel.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I've tested and reviewed the Blancpain....50f Chronograph. The Sapphire theoretically MIGHT have the edge in pure scratch resistance, but my feeling is the GMT's bezel would be more impact resistant.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
According to Wikipedia, "The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) defines a ceramic article as “an article having a glazed or unglazed body of crystalline or partly crystalline structure, or of glass, which body is produced from essentially inorganic, non-metallic substances and either is formed from a molten mass which solidifies on cooling, or is formed and simultaneously or subsequently matured by the action of the heat.”"

Thus, sapphire I believe technically IS a ceramic. Blancpain says they use sapphire. Rolex hasn't divulged their actual material other than calling in by its most general classification. I'd think Rolex could have used sapphire, but chose not as sapphire while very scratch resistent can break, chip and crack more easily than you'd think given the right circumstances.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts