WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Best Trend Ever...or the Worst.

10K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  coastcat 
#1 ·
Women wearing men's (or oversized) watches.

The trend isn't all that new. It's been around for a while. However, InStyle magazine just did a feature on women wearing large watches.

One the positive side, you can get away with buying your wife/girlfriend a Rolex Daytona as a gift (and you can tell her that wearing it loose on the wrist is the way to go - that way you can borrow it).

One the negative side, your wife/girlfriend will be wearing YOUR watches.

So...is this a positive or a negative trend?

Here's a scan of the article. And check out all of the beautiful celebrities wearing men's watches on our website. Doesn't get much better than that.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
I wore vintage mens watches 25 years ago .......but I have always been ahead of my time .....

Unfortunetly, unless you're a recognized trend setter, people just think you're weird ......however, since I have always reveled in my wierdness, it hasn't been much of a hardship......:001_rolleyes:

#4 ·
The trend among women doesn't bother me at all. In fact, women's watches were so dainty for so many years, I would often wonder how they could even read the time. Having said that, I tend to draw the line in my own mind at about 40mm on a female in terms of its appeal to me. Anything larger tends to go from looking "trendy" to just plain "gawdy" from my perspective.

I do, however, perceive that the increased size of what women are wearing may be, in part, what has driven the size increases for men's watches. But here again, there is a fine line between "manly" and "ridiculous" in my mind. Even a big guy who tries to pull off something larger than about 50mm tends to be pushing the limit in my opinion. On the other hand, I would take a 50mm behemoth to a 35mm vintage any day. This obviously has more to do with my age and the watch fashions of my era than my opinion being right or wrong. I figure a person should buy whatever size they like and not begrudge others for wearing something "too large" or "too small".

Reactions: salleh
#7 ·
I have a couple of Art Deco pieces, one of which I gave my wife--a 1926 Waltham Sapphire movement with a quad-stepped case. It's small by today's standards, and it looks great on her, and I wear it myself on occasion.

IMO, the dorky, huge watches that people wear today are going to be tomorrow's clunky white elephants. I think it's fantastic that great looking women (almost said chicks!) wear vintage men's watches. That has to increase the demand for what we're already collecting.

And I particularly hate the traditional gaudy, over-decorated ladies watches that would be just as functional when worn in the ear, so I think it's good for women, also.

#22 ·
IMO, the dorky, huge watches that people wear today are going to be tomorrow's clunky white elephants.
I got into a heap of trouble elsewhere for expressing that opinion, but I stand by it, if only because I've been around long enough to see everything old become new again and vice versa.

#9 ·
I do believe that those teeny tiny watches were supposed to make women feel like they were teeny tiny....and I mean in a fashionable physical sense ......

the thing is .....the one thing about those itty bitty watches is the remarkable quality of some of the movements ....I have a Hamilton ladies watch and it's movement is smalller than a dime ! and it keeps perfect time and ticks happily away for at least 24 hours .....ok most don't have second hands ..but as they'd be only about a hairsbreath thick ,impossible to see.....

I mean those little guys do all that the men's watches do and in 1/4 the size .....it is the one time that I find the movement more interesting than the rest of the watch .....

also, the standard ladies small watch is a dead bore...but I have seen some .....whooo eeee......very nice designs......

but would I wear one of those small watches ......not on a bet !

#12 ·
I can see why. Ladies watches are pretty hard to read! I gave my girlfriend a vintage Timex electric (she likes vintage clothing), and she had to stop and stare at the watch for about 10 seconds just to be sure what time it was.

Eventually I got her another Timex electric, this time it was a mans! She's been wearing it ever since.

#13 ·
I have some pretty small Accutrons, especially the Alphas from the very early 60's, that make it look like I'm wearing a lady's watch on my 7 1/2 inch wrist. Some day when I have the time and nothing else to do I will try to get around to giving a darn about what someone thinks of the size of my watch.
My wife tried wearing my Rolex Sub but and didn't like the size but, even more, didn't like the weight. We got her a lady's Date Just and she loves it. I'm a little surprised that some of the ladies pictured enjoy that much weight on their arms.

#17 ·
I have had a few itsy-bitsy ladies watches in my past (when I had super-woman vision). But have always preferred a watch with a larger face that I didn't have to do anything more than glance at it to know the time. The trend part I don't get is wearing them lose on the wrist...just makes the crystal more susceptible to scratching or breaking from being slung around so much and I personally find that annoying on my wrist. (As far as the "celebrities", I don't know who more than a handful of them are. :blink:)

#18 ·
oooo boy, I know what you mean Liz.....drives me absolutely nuts to have a watch sliding around on my wrist .....not only cause of possible crystal damage, but the face of the watch is never where you want it when you want it !

#24 ·
Oh it's the guys I see wearing their watches like that ( loose) actually more than the women.....it's the kind of guy who wears their jeans low ......( no need to describe just HOW low mind you, but to the point I think ....how do they keep them on ? ....suspenders under the shirt ? ) It must be like a woman who can keep a towel on her head and most guys can't I couldn't keep my pants on if I wore them that low ...about 4 steps and they'd be around my ankles.....

and the watch that they are wearing is usually HUGE , and full of bling, real or fake, doesn't matter.....a heavy piece like that will crash into everything ......

and I hope that the giant watch craze will be over soon .....frankly I tend to see an overly large and/or blingy watch as a mite tacky, a little too "look at me"

#26 ·
That's quite an article ......and it does show me that I am a throw back ....no credit cards, no outstanding debts, no big fancy car ......

and what's more, I view with great suspition, anyone who drives a car that costs more than their rent or mortgage......

Appearances are not that important to me .....well, maybe they are, but they have to be real.....it's like cheating on a test.....you get a better grade, but what's that worth if you don't know the stuff?

I have no use for fakes....most of the time .....a lot depends on what is being faked.....fake fur, well if you insist on wearing fur , that's the right kind ....fake leather ? ....not so much .....

and I'd rather wear real semi-precious stones than fake diamonds ......and fake watches ? ......Perish the thought !

But I think I have my head screwed on pretty straight .....and I do think there's a lot of folks who don't ...they've lost sight of what's important......and even with my impoverished existance, I get quite a lot of personal satisfaction in my life....I get to create beauty in many different ways.....and that has always been so important to me that I have given up more material rewards to be able to be an artist.....

....My life wouldn't be worth living without the ablility to create .....a lot .....many hours a week .....and at 20 I went into a deep depression because I knew that meant that unless I got lucky, I was going to spend my life poor....and I didn't get lucky, and except when I was married to a cameraman, I have been poor.....but I would never have changed the path I have taken .......

.......Art, both the fine art and the crafts I do are more important than a big house ( or any house for that matter ) and a new car ......I have paid a big price for that peace of mind ....but I betcha that few people have the satisfaction that I do .....

#27 ·
"Marketing says we need to release a ladies version of our most popular watch. Okay, here's what we'll do. We'll shrink the case down to, oh, 26mm. Girls don't want automatics, so stick a quartz movement in there. And diamonds! Lots of diamonds! Hmm, still looks too dignified. I know, we'll get rid of the elegant font for the numerals. Something bigger and loopier - yes, that's perfect! Is there room for a little pink heart on the dial?"

Now ask me again why I avert my eyes from that side of the display cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.