WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
6,330 Posts
Yep, its a good watch for the money. But you could ask 10 people this question and get 10 different answers.

·
Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
Seiko ofcourse
I for one, had no idea what a 5KX was, and originally thought it was some sort of Track & Field (athletics) event.
And speaking purely from personal experience; I'll take a Citizen over Seiko any day of the week. I found any of my 3 Citizens to have better out-of-the-box accuracy than my Seikos. And my Seiko5 automatic is one of the poorest watch purchases I ever made. The folding clasp bracelet sounds and feels cheap, the crystal does not have of any anti-glare ability, the crown sits flush with the case and is difficult to pull out, and the accuracy averages +20 seconds/24 hours, which I find unacceptable.
I suppose I could fuss with the regulator mechanism, but I'd rather not bother...i will just relegate the stupid thing to my BVD drawer.

·
Registered
Breitling
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I for one, had no idea what a 5KX was, and originally thought it was some sort of Track & Field (athletics) event.
And speaking purely from personal experience; I'll take a Citizen over Seiko any day of the week. I found any of my 3 Citizens to have better out-of-the-box accuracy than my Seikos. And my Seiko5 automatic is one of the poorest watch purchases I ever made. The folding clasp bracelet sounds and feels cheap, the crystal does not have of any anti-glare ability, the crown sits flush with the case and is difficult to pull out, and the accuracy averages +20 seconds/24 hours, which I find unacceptable.
I suppose I could fuss with the regulator mechanism, but I'd rather not bother...i will just relegate the stupid thing to my BVD drawer.

·
Registered
Breitling
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seiko 5s have doubled in price over the last few years in some cases anyway. I remember in 2014 I got a few at the $120-140 range off of fleabay and yes you would have the +29 sec a day time keeping but at that price it's understandable to have a stamped fold over clasp and hollow end links. I'm giving a san martin to my dad tomorrow for Christmas, it has I believe the 4r36 in it. It's the one that looks like the seiko mm300. I find it amazing that you can get such nicely built watch with sapphire for sub 250

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on what makes a watch "best" to you; is it style, accuracy (quartz) soul (mechanical, hand wind or auto), ruggedness or takes a beating and ...

A used Seiko Turtle, if found in good shape for <$300 would qualify, as would a (if possible) a used Steinhart. Even a medley of Seiko 5s and Casio Duro/Marlins could trip your trigger.

When buying a watch, whether it be $300, $3,000 or $30,000 - get the one that smiles back at you when you look at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts