WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,895 Posts
Seiko ofcourse
I for one, had no idea what a 5KX was, and originally thought it was some sort of Track & Field (athletics) event.
And speaking purely from personal experience; I'll take a Citizen over Seiko any day of the week. I found any of my 3 Citizens to have better out-of-the-box accuracy than my Seikos.

·
Registered
Breitling
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I for one, had no idea what a 5KX was, and originally thought it was some sort of Track & Field (athletics) event.
And speaking purely from personal experience; I'll take a Citizen over Seiko any day of the week. I found any of my 3 Citizens to have better out-of-the-box accuracy than my Seikos. And my Seiko5 automatic is one of the poorest watch purchases I ever made. The folding clasp bracelet sounds and feels cheap, the crystal does not have of any anti-glare ability, the crown sits flush with the case and is difficult to pull out, and the accuracy averages +20 seconds/24 hours, which I find unacceptable.
I suppose I could fuss with the regulator mechanism, but I'd rather not bother...i will just relegate the stupid thing to my BVD drawer.

·
Registered
Breitling
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seiko 5s have doubled in price over the last few years in some cases anyway. I remember in 2014 I got a few at the $120-140 range off of fleabay and yes you would have the +29 sec a day time keeping but at that price it's understandable to have a stamped fold over clasp and hollow end links. I'm giving a san martin to my dad tomorrow for Christmas, it has I believe the 4r36 in it. It's the one that looks like the seiko mm300. I find it amazing that you can get such nicely built watch with sapphire for sub 250

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on what makes a watch "best" to you; is it style, accuracy (quartz) soul (mechanical, hand wind or auto), ruggedness or takes a beating and ...

A used Seiko Turtle, if found in good shape for <$300 would qualify, as would a (if possible) a used Steinhart. Even a medley of Seiko 5s and Casio Duro/Marlins could trip your trigger.

When buying a watch, whether it be $300, $3,000 or $30,000 - get the one that smiles back at you when you look at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suspect all (automatic) watches under USD 300 have their pros and cons. My only real beef with Orient is that shortly after receiving my Kamasu, the crown came off in my hand, a problem that subsequent research showed was by no means uncommon with Orient products. The stem is very thin, almost delicate and can be moved around easily in a way which doesn't inspire confidence.
The crown is also too small making screwing and unscrewing tricky.
All this is a pity since for a watch costing just € 200 you get a reputable automatic movement, screw-down crown, a sapphire crystal and 200m water resistance.

I have recently bought another Orient (giving them a second chance!) and so far all is well. The attached pic is my Kano with a carbon/rubber replacement strap. I find this watch perhaps the most attractive in my whole collection, not bad considering it only cost € 175. It only has a mineral glass crystal but day/date display, stainless steel rather than aluminium bezel and is water resistant to 200mm. Add a sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel and it would be nearly perfect.

Watch Clock Watch accessory Analog watch Material property

·
Super Moderator
16,895 Posts
I imagine that when you buy a watch made by humans, you're gonna run the risk of buying a not-perfect product.
If my memory serves me correctly, I paid around $110 US for this model. Its accuracy is more than acceptable and it's not giving me any problems at all...especially the crown and winding stem. I'd wear it much more often if there weren't so many other watches in my rotation!
Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

On the other hand, everyone here at WTF who owns the Seiko5 loves it, and I really regret the day I bought mine, but that's not the point of this thread. What else can I tell you? Stuff happens! We move on.

Reactions: mikeyt_53

·
Super Moderator
16,895 Posts
Question: Are the 3 stars (on the dial) representative of the higher than normal jewel count, or is it something else?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I honestly have no idea.
TRISTAR
A 1970's Classic
For almost 50 years, each star in the logo has represented an ideal: quality, design, and price. In the thick of the Quartz Revolution, Orient Watch didn't stray away from the mechanical watch-- it embraced it. What came to fruition was the people's watch; a vast collection presented in all shapes, colors, and strap arrangements that were accessible to all.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts