WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most of you buy from ADs?

Do some buy from the bay or other online retailers? I know that if you buy from a gray-marketer, the warranty is not honoured. Does that make a big dif for you?

Would anyone of you buy one without box and papers? Seems too risky given that there are so many fakes out there.

I am in Canada. A steel datejust is about $5,000.00 or so. How much is it in the USA from an AD?

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have always purchased my Rolex watches from an AD's.
Though I have been tempted in the past to buy from other sources. I have a very mistrusting nature, so I have always held back at the last moment. And paid the extra money.
By going to an AD, you get peace of mind, knowing that everything is ok.
I, personally would never buy a Rolex without ALL the necessary paperwork and boxes.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I've purchased from ADs, individuals, and online retaiers. Our Forum Sponsors who have banners at the top of the forum can save you money and are entirely trust worthy.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I've purchased my Rolexes from ADs and from online sellers. I only buy when all papers, boxes, tags, etc. are included. My last online purchase save me over $2000 on a mint no-date sub (D serial number). IIRC, the MSRP of a sub date is around $5200.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm an AD guy only right now, but that's because I've been buying new. Perhaps I'll loosen up and try one of the online sponsors when I'm looking for a pre-loved or a vintage piece. And yes, I'm am also a stickler for correct papers, box, hang tags, and manuals. Its all part of the experience and helps to assure you (and maybe the next guy) that not only is the watch authentic but that someone loved it enough to save everything they could.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Sappie66,

While I know it isn't helpful, a true deal on a Rolex is few and far between. We're all human and want to shop around to get the best price. Unfortunately, between the very strong 2nd hand market and Rolex's iron fist AD policy anything more than 5% is the exception and not the norm. Where I live, there is no discount for a new Rolex period! If you want to own and enjoy a Rolex (who doesn't?) then it will cost you something.

My best advice is to educate yourself in the models and the marketplace. Where you live there might be some discounting (don't count on anything more than 10% and only on some models). Get to know your AD and find the one that speaks to you. Then save and choose your model. Then buy.

Unfortunately, it isn't easier. There aren't many shortcuts that are safe. Do not buy from eBay and the other sites. The chance of getting a quality fake is too great and nothing will make you feel worse than thinking you got a deal only to find out your were taken in a fraud.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I buy the seller, the person and not the item. If i have a good comfort level with the company or individual representing the company I will buy from them.

I ve never been stchupped by a retailer but I vette them out carefully.

Dont be afraid to expand your horizons.

My DD YG came from a secondary dealer,, it was 100% genuine and I saved 35% on this new watch in box.

I had it checked by a rolex AD and it was pristine as advertised. I bought the seller not the Rolly. I d buy another one from this dealer in a heartbeat.

Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am in Canada as well, I bought my first Rolex, an Explorer II in London Ontario. They were asking 5800.00 I talked them down to 5400.00 or something around there. Now, of course in Canada we have the lovely GST and PST. which on a 20 or 30 dollar item its no big deal, but at at the time another 15% onto 5400 and that put the watch over the 6000 mark!

From that day on, I vowed never to buy another Rolex in Canada. We vacation in Naples Florida each year where our family has a home and the Sales tax is only 6% in Collier county, so thats where I would be doing my shopping for watches. Not to mention the area is very wealthy and there are lots of stores that specialize in pre-owned watches and there are some really good deals to be found. I found a Submariner in Mint condition with Date selling for 3100.00 complete with all original packaging and papers. I know in Canada with taxes etc the cost will be close to 6000.

One of the stores in Naples told me they had over 2 million in Rolex inventory (they also employed an armed guard) and that Rolex sales make up 90% of their business and I saw 2 watches being sold while I was talking to the sales agent, so getting a deal there, I am sure is out of the question as they are selling these daily! In London Ontario I got a deal I assume because they were either overcharging in the first place, or sales were slow and they wanted to generate some cash flow. So your best bet for a price break might come from a dealer that doesnt sell as much volume, but then is the starting price going to be the same as what a high volume dealer would charge you with no deal?

Not to mention our Dollar is now on Par with the American. Personally, unless you find a great price in Canada, buying from the USA is the way to go! But dont use the mail or courier, because then you will get hit with customs and tax! Go to the states and wear it home!

·
Registered
416 Posts
That is a tough decision and you have to consider how "expert" you truly are in this situation.

1. AD--you will have to pay tax and likely full retail price, however you can rest easy that you have received the authentic product with the Rolex warranty. Although obviously most watches won't break down in the first two years, at least you get your watch fixed with no charge if it does break down.
2. Gray--Saves you tax and will get you a better price. Many gray market vendors are very honest and wouldn't even think of cheating you. They get their inventory straight from dealers who need the cash and need to move their inventory using the time honored method: reducing the price. Most will offer a substitute warranty in order to gain your confidence. Sure, manufacturers officially frown on it but the market exists to clear out inventory at market clearing prices. Occasionally you hear that people have trouble, but this will be true of any mechanical product at some time. You should get references so that you are assured you are dealing with a credible dealer.
3. Used--Better prices but there is the risk from not knowing the party you are dealing with. Obviously, some people fail to describe their watches and service experience accurately and some will even leave you will a lemon on purpose, such is the level of their morality. However, there are many people who trade on forums like this one and are completely honorable and fair and being collectors, they tend to be accurate in their appraisals and also take good care of their watches. Buying used means you will have to gain greater expertise. Another advantage is that you will not have tax and if you buy at the right price and like to resell later, you can work to lose less money or even make a little or at least come out even if you are savvy.

As you can tell, there are advantages and disadvantages no matter which route you choose. The key is to be able to determine the route you are most comfortable with and which you have the suitable skill level for. If you are new to the process, I would say buy from the dealer. Best of luck.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The problem is there are just too many fakes out there and darn good fakes at that.

AD purchases will give you piece of mind that you get the real thing. Otherwise like people said, you have to know the seller. BTW, most ADs also sell pre-owned, which sometimes could be a deal.

Also, there are ADs that are more willing to make a deal than others so its wise to check around.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was in Turkey in Nov/Dec 2007 ,, in Kusadasi,, a place known for fakes.

There were thousands of fake rollies at Fake Watch stores,, legal and a booming industry.

I really enjoyed going in and handling the fakes.

They had all the lines:

Chinese

Japanese

Italian

Swiss

After a few days of handling the fakes and the weights it was a no brainer to me telling the difference between a real rolly and a fake in any Gold. The weight just wasnt there.

In the sport watches it is a bit more difficult BUT i asked the dealer to take the back off a swiss fake and once off,,, there was no inscription, nothing that said Rolex.

Bottom Line,, before buying something suspect, pop off the back and get a loop and check out the mechanism. The fakes dont go that far.

Don

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The movement is the ultimate tell on a Rolex at the moment. Soon I expect fakers to take the next and relatively easy step of engraving Rolex markings on the rotor and plates. It would be exceeding difficult for them to counterfeit a Rolex movement, but the rotor and markings are easy once people start to demand to see them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts