WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time sideline observer of this site and the forums but now's the time for some advice. I'm in the market for a chronograph and have narrowed a few choices down but would love to hear from anyone that might have a certain model or models and get your opinion. I have a Omega PO so naturally have started looking at the similar chrono which I like. I also like the IWC models but would like to hear from some people that have one or both models. I really don't want to spend more than $7,500 as I might have to give up another toy in my collection.

I have a '67 Omega Speedmaster but am looking for an automatic this go around.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
The most obvious choice would be the Zenith El Primero. It's a fantastic caliber and several models will be at or less than $7500 in stainless steel.

Don't discount the Valjoux 7750 though. Some very nice watches have this as their base caliber, including IWC. Post a few of your choices with pictures and we'll give more opinions.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I rather like both my IWC and my Seiko Spring Drive chronos (see my sig); both can be had new for less than $7500. YMMV

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Scratched the Omega so now it's down to the IWC models vs. the Zenith El Primero. As far as weight and feel is there much difference between the two? My daily wears are Rolex Sub and Omega PO so I tend to like a heavier/larger type of watch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great questions TC that made me think for a little bit. I started wearing a watch when I turned 40 and six years later I keep evolving with my collection. I had a Rolex 5512 Gilt that I sold earlier this year and regret it so I guess I enjoy rare/unique watches in general. The wow factor doesn't concern me, accurate yes, depth rating/pushers under water isn't a concern, so more of unique and obscure, and style are more important.

I picked up a '67 Omega Speedmaster last year but it was at a great price so I figure if I'm paying somewhat primo bucks I want a primo chrono watch.

I want the chronograph that I buy to be a nice addition to my daily wears be it old or new.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was at a NAWCC Regional Event today and had a chance to try on a few vintage Zenith and newer IWC watches so it was good timing. I didn't find anything there as it was kind of sensory overload so I came home and began the search again. I happened to see the split second design which I absolutely like and then of course I saw the price tag which is a bit more than what I want to pay! I'm not sure about the blue dial but it's kind of growing on me and gets me out of my comfort zone of buying the same style/color watch that I gravitate towards.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Any thoughts on these designs?

·
Banned
778 Posts
Here's a picture of the one I chose when in your position. As you know you can get this with a black dial as well.

This model of Portugese would be slightly over your budget with the new clasp buckle strap - but you could pick up a very good condition used model for within your budget.

Regards,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It took me awhile but the Zenith movement and clear caseback has me sold on the brand. I researched the models trying to narrow my choices and then I visited my local AD today and tried this open Chronomaster on.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

I tried on a few other models and kept coming back to this one so I thought before I spend the money I'd get some feedback from y'all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.