WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got spliced a couple of years ago. As a gift for my bestman I gave him a Benrus Wrist Alarm SS watch from the 50's. It's identical to one I have from my Dad. Beautiful creamy dial, and working great. I had it completely overhauled before I gave it to him and put a nice black strap on it. He wears it to Lodge and when dressed up. Today we went to a funeral for a Lodge brother's wife, and he was wearing it and I was wearing mine. They looked identical. He told me that last week he was in a meeting and a guy (a fellow WIS as it turns out) complemented him on hus vintage watch. My friend couldn't remember what he was wearing only that it had a clear caseback. Darn, no one ever notices my watches!!!:crying:

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Got spliced a couple of years ago. As a gift for my bestman I gave him a Benrus Wrist Alarm SS watch from the 50's. It's identical to one I have from my Dad. Beautiful creamy dial, and working great. I had it completely overhauled before I gave it to him and put a nice black strap on it. He wears it to Lodge and when dressed up. Today we went to a funeral for a Lodge brother's wife, and he was wearing it and I was wearing mine. They looked identical. He told me that last week he was in a meeting and a guy (a fellow WIS as it turns out) complemented him on hus vintage watch. My friend couldn't remember what he was wearing only that it had a clear caseback. Darn, no one ever notices my watches!!!:crying:
Cool that you both have the same watch, I share a few watches with my Dad too.

Interesting...

I get the occasional "Hey is that an old watch?" Followed by... "My Dad, Uncle, etc. had one like that!"

The kids, forget it, they almost never say anything.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
:001_tt2: @ G! Except me!

That is a great story about the wristalarm.

I can't think of a serious time anyone has ever complimented my watches. I gave up caring on that issue. I'd like to have discussions about watches with people but I guess that is why this forum is so important to me. An outlet for the things the rest of humanity doesn't care about.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
When I wear my Hamilton asymmetrics they normally get noticed. Likewise my Pierce chrono. But, since I live near Detroit, perhaps it's best that they don't get noticed?

·
Registered
121 Posts
With my classic cars, almost every time I stop I end up in a conversation...

With my watches, I don't think anyone has EVER commented (unless my one fellow WIS at work)...

It occurs to me, just now, I don't ever look at other peoples watches either.

Car = public, watch = private. Or is that just me then?

I quite like it this way.

I do like Bennie Wristalarms :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the kind comments!!! I have two watches from Dad, the Benrus and a nice gold Hamilton tank from the late 40's. It was either his HS, or college graduation present from his parents. The Benrus he bought himself when he was a salesman in the 50's. Both have been completely overhauled and are worn on special occasions. My best man is a Lodge Brother whom I hold in extremely high regard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts