WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I stopped at my watchmakers and had a look at what he had. He had some nice vintage automatics, some German and some Swiss. And he was selling them for $25 a piece. I immediately pulled out my wallet and realized i had no cash lol. My heart sank, the one I was looking at was clean and nice (can't remember the brand) and ran great and was really great looking. Some of You guys must know the felling sometimes. Well, there was no way I could afford it unless $25 popped into my wallet :lol: so I went home and day dreamed about it for a bit then looked at my watches. And thought to my self "I am really lucky to have what I have, especially at 18) and I don't NEED another watch. I am happy with what I own. I have all my bases covered. My invicta is my workhorse, my stellaris is casual/dress, my Waltham is dress, and my Bulova is super dress lol. Plus with one Japanese electric, one japanese auto, one Swiss auto, one Swiss manual wind, and one Swiss quartz, I am all set for now....at least until I get some cash :laugh: what do you guys think? You happy with what you have?

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes your right. Gone past the "gotta have it now" to "there'll be another one". Otherwise you don't enjoy the ones you allready have. (doesn't hurt to keep looking):thumbup1:

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
I'm very happy with what I have. :biggrin:

And I'm always looking for the next upgrade. :001_tongue:

That's how this hobby gets you. Sooner or later you fall out of lust with a watch so you flip it and put the funds towards another.

·
Super Moderator
15,657 Posts
No, not 100%. There are two or three pieces I look at and think "Why on earth did I ever buy THAT one?
Here's one that somehow made its way into the Photobucket account- it was from one of the innumerable mail-order catalogs that stalk my mailbox.

·
Registered
771 Posts
vintage watches for $25 a piece? did they work? were they reasonably clean/functional? at that price i would be tempted to snatch them to either fix them up or sell them. you found one that worked and looked nice for only $25 and you walked away? were the atm machines down and the banks closed?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
At one time that sage of the ages ULACKFOCUS posited that a collection is not complete until you have them all. Sounds rather greedy of him but what the heck, when he's right, he's right !
I had one watch I didn't like, I found out after coming into contact with this motley crew, that it was a fake so it used for target practice. I should have taken a picture after whacking it with a .22.
There are still quite a few Accutrons I want to add to my collection but at the moment I'm trying to use my watch budget to rescue gold Accutrons from the smelter.
You have a great collection for your age. I liked watches at your age but my collection consisted of a wind up Timex.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pratt said:
vintage watches for $25 a piece? did they work? were they reasonably clean/functional? at that price i would be tempted to snatch them to either fix them up or sell them. you found one that worked and looked nice for only $25 and you walked away? were the atm machines down and the banks closed?
Lol it was NOS and was serviced recently too. Unfortunately, I have to buy a car and yes it was 6:30 an the banks were closed and I wasn't anywhere near my ATM (not one peoples bank ATM in my mall :cursing: )

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm very happy with what I have. :biggrin:

And I'm always looking for the next upgrade. :001_tongue:

That's how this hobby gets you. Sooner or later you fall out of lust with a watch so you flip it and put the funds towards another.
It's not as important to have what you want as it is wanting what you have. There's much peace to be found in this simple thought. I'm content in knowing a two or three of my present watches are among the finest examples of their kind I've ever seen. But I still shop around at least three times a week because I could add to the treasure list.

As far as lust, well: Competitive Cyclist Featured Bike: Bianchi Oltre with SRAM Red - YouTube :drool:

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
If you add them too fast you never really get to enjoy a purchase before the next one rolls in. It is nice to have a honeymoon with a new purchase, to wear it a lot and admire it. They get jealous if you spend time with others, so you need to treat them nice at first! :001_tt2:

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wombat said:
If you add them too fast you never really get to enjoy a purchase before the next one rolls in. It is nice to have a honeymoon with a new purchase, to wear it a lot and admire it. They get jealous if you spend time with others, so you need to treat them nice at first! :001_tt2:
Agreed!!!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Wisdom like that is the reason why Wombat is a mod ! Well said !
I have imposed a budget on myself and have been enjoying this craziness more since doing so. After I buy a watch, I have to save for the next one and that gives me time to think about what to get and anticipation is much of the enjoyment.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am very happy with what I have. I love my watches, and feel bad for those in the safe at any one time. I find that alternating between the two Seikos for daily wear, with the IWC for dress (or just because) works for me, and I don't want to dilute the wrist time of any of them.

There are lots of watches at or about (or below, even) the price range of my three that I love (particularly vintage high quality dress watches), but I don't want more than three watches at any one time, and there's no watch I prefer to what I have.

I happy. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I am a self admitted "accumulator", not a proper collector of watches.

I subscribe to the notion that life is merely a journey, that the notion of a destination, or finally "arriving" is likely an illusion. Certainly the journey is all I have at this moment.
When I adhere to this, I am most content, most grateful for what I have. "I'm right where I'm supposed to be, I have everything I need, I'm the luckiest guy I know" is my mantra.

However; I am human. I easily lose sight of this path, becoming caught up in the chaos of life around me. On occasion being the source of the chaos.

So to answer the question; yes, I am happy with what I have, but frequently want more.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If there's one thing about collecting vintage Elgins, it's that there'll be another one. Mostly - I have seen some that I wanted only once in the wild, but I have more time than money, so I can wait. Or live without it!

When I look at the collection I've amassed, I'm pretty happy. There are corners to be filled, but I'm now at the point of working opportunistically. I don't have 'Gotta Have It!' watches - at least not 'Gotta Have It NOW!!' watches.

I managed to quell bike lust semi-permanently by buying an old Columbus MAX frame, repainting it, and kitting it out with then-current Chorus and custom wheels. Once I'd built it, I found that IT was what I wanted, and the latest 14# wunderbike held not attraction. YMMV, of course...

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Yes, I'm happy with what I have, but it's always nice to start thinking about something else to add to the collection, and or take your style and taste in a different direction. I have realized now as I have gotten older, that it's not always about what I want, for instance, my wife and I are huge F1 fans, it's what brought us together in the first place. She has wanted a Tag F1 watch for well.......since we met. I have always spent money on myself, but never once considered getting one for her, so for her birthday in a few weeks, I will be buying her the model that she wants.

I do want to add a few higher end models to my collection, but for right now, I just can't really swing it for me, but I can for her!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts