WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks in advance for you advice. I have started collecting only recently and my collection is really only a Rolex Datejust from the 1990s an old Olympic from the 1940s. Now, I wish to buy a very good chronograph. I like chronographs but I also need one for my job for at least the next 2.5 years. The job requires basic chronograph functions and I need the chronograph to have a tachometer and a telemeter. OK so I saw Baume & Mercier Men's 10001 Capeland Chronograph Black Chronograph Dial Watch. These are featured at Amazon for $3K with a good lay away option. I read some reviews about Baume & Mercier and at first they were great but soon I uncovered so comments to the effect that if you have $3K to spend on a chronograph it would not be Baume and Mercier. But please let me know. If not Baume and Mercier which chronos should I be looking for at $3K? Small note I insist on a leather band. Second recommendation: are there 300-500 dollar class chronos that I should consider because I might beat up my watch in my job in the next couple of years. Citizen? Seiko? Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
With a Baume, you would be spending more than you have to. I'm not saying they're not good- just that there ARE less expensive options.
You could check out

* Alpina has a couple possibilities
* Ball Engineer Master II
* Hamilton H464616731
* Oris Big Crown Chronograph

Quartz chronos can withstand bumps and thumps better than mechanicals. They're more affordable, too (under $500). Among the possibles are

* Citizen Perpetual Calendar Chronograph (I have this one- superior accuracy: +/- 1.5 seconds per month after three years of ownership)
* Seiko Telemeter Chronograph
* Seiko Flight Alarm Chronograph
* Victorinox 241288 Infantry Chronograph

And PLEASE don't let the band affect your decision. It is so easy to remove a metal bracelet and replace it with a strap, or vice versa that my watch repair shop doesn't even charge for doing it.

Good luck! We expect pictures of your selection after it arrives!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
And PLEASE don't let the band affect your decision. It is so easy to remove a metal bracelet and replace it with a strap, or vice versa that my watch repair shop doesn't even charge for doing it.
X2 but if you think you may want a bracelet down the road, it's generally a better deal to buy the watch on metal, and then get the leather afterwards than it is to buy the bracelet separately.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
What about a quartz movement Tag, or a Automatic Tag, they make a great bang for your buck watch. Baume's are great, but like stated there are other options out there that are nice and a little less expensive.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What about a quartz movement Tag, or a Automatic Tag, they make a great bang for your buck watch.
I disagree, TAG is probably the worst bang-for-the-buck out there, especially in quartz. If you're going quartz, tissot, Seiko, and Citizen would be MUCH better values.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that if you actually need chronograph functions for your job you're better off getting a dedicated hand held device like a hand held stopwatch or smart phone. You'll be more accurate pressing the buttons rather than in a cumbersome manner fiddling with your wrist. And I definitely wouldn't go the mechanical watch route as a digital casio G shock or suunto is going to be much more accurate and easier to use.

Most people I think get swiss mechanical chronograph watches for style mainly, particularly in today's high tech digital age.

·
Super Moderator
15,645 Posts
Either that or to time the Pizza Hut delivery guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts