WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 9ct N4 Accutron with a 2181F movement. I thought I knew all about batteries for Accutrons but it turns out I know nothing.

The battery has the plastic sleeve around it and the back says use Accutron 218. The watch is not functioning.

What is my best bet for a battery? A little research tells me I need a 343 but cannot seem to find one on ebay. I am UK-based.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I would guess that the battery with the plastic sleeve is a 387s, I use them in my 214's and, as far as I know, it should work in a 218.
I use 344 batteries in my 218's and can buy them in a hardware store down the street.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would guess that the battery with the plastic sleeve is a 387s, I use them in my 214's and, as far as I know, it should work in a 218.
I use 344 batteries in my 218's and can buy them in a hardware store down the street.
Yes, 344 is the correct replacement for a 218

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the number on the battery in the plastic ring? Folks have been known to use the 387s in 219/219/224/230 Accutron movements. The Accucell-1 is listed for 214s and the others as well. A 387s (#394 battery + ring) will fit but, since the battery itself is physically smaller, won't last quite as long.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Mike,
When Bulova made your watch, it wasn't yet understood just how toxic mercury was and the 343 (1.35v) battery used in Accutron watches contained a small amount of mercury. 218 was the number assigned to 343 batteries sold under the Bulova brand. Laws now prohibit the use of mercury in consumer products and we, Accutron owners, are forced used the next best thing. Most Accutron watches work reasonably well or can be adjusted to use the 387S or 344 (1.5v) batteries. If your watch runs fast with a 344 battery, you can try the Accucell but those are expensive and often make little difference.
Let us know how it works out and post some photos when you have time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your quality replies.

I will buy some 344 cells. Curiously my usual supplier (CPC/Farnell) doesn't stock this model but E-bay UK shows several suppliers.

This particular watch is a 1974 round 9ct date with an inscribed back and a champagne face. The back is also 9ct with a separate gilt locking ring. The face is fine but the crystal would need replacing as it has a crack. The first issue is to see if it runs and then decide whether to keep or scrap. I hear cries of sacrilege and am as reluctant to put down an Accutron as anyone else - the fact is that it does not look as good as it did in the e-bay picture.

Oliverb - the battery is face-down so I will only be able to see the type no. when my watchmaker replaces it and I will re-post. The clamp screw is very small and I would rather let him do it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks guys for your quality replies.

I will buy some 344 cells. Curiously my usual supplier (CPC/Farnell) doesn't stock this model but E-bay UK shows several suppliers.

This particular watch is a 1974 round 9ct date with an inscribed back and a champagne face. The back is also 9ct with a separate gilt locking ring. The face is fine but the crystal would need replacing as it has a crack.
Mike,

I have a few of these batteries.
I replied to your other post, drop me an email to discuss.

[email protected]

Regards

Jake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts