WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm a young watch enthusiast, and really keen on getting my first decent watch. Right now I'm eyeing on the Ball Fireman II with the white numeral on bracelet VS. the Oris BC3 Limited Edition.

Personally I just love the history and quality of Ball, on the contrary Oris have an eye catching looks.

To all the watch seniors, please help me on this. I just can't choose.

Please help me answer the following..

Which is better between the two brands.

1. Quality/Build
2. Image
3. History
4. Movements
5. Customer services

Thank you everyone for sparring your time to answer my silly questions.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I would say they are equal on all respects except history and nighttime readability, where, IMHO, Ball has a significant edge.

It really comes down to which you like better, and what price you can get them at.

You can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm here in Thailand, so the prices are slightly higher than the states.

For Ball Fireman II, I could get them for around 1050 USD, while the ORIS 1400 USD.
Judging from the price, which watch would me more worth it?

I'm still leaning towards the Ball Fireman II. If I really bought it, pictures will come soon.

Thanks all

·
Registered
170 Posts
In that case, Definitely go with the BALL, In my opinion a superior watch to Oris and if the Oris is more, NO Question.

I'm here in Thailand, so the prices are slightly higher than the states.

For Ball Fireman II, I could get them for around 1050 USD, while the ORIS 1400 USD.
Judging from the price, which watch would me more worth it?

I'm still leaning towards the Ball Fireman II. If I really bought it, pictures will come soon.

Thanks all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank u everyone for the enlightenment. My bags are packed and i'm gonna go for the fireman ii.
To be honest, i was really close to making the oris my first decent watch, until i discovered this forum.
Reading this every night, and the only thought i got during work was BALL BALL BALL BALL. And now i will really need to get the ball!!

P.S- is it true that, once u own a Ball, it will not be your last?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OMG!! this is total addiction!! I haven't purchase the Fireman II, but now I'm already eyeing on some other model, EM II Red Label in particular.

By the way, i have another question. Why does Ball put in so much into quality only to exchange for a small price? Will the price will always be reasonable like this? or eventually it will increase?

I heard that the quality of Ball can go on par with Omega, if that's true, Omega will certainly feel the chill down the spine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OMG!! this is total addiction!! I haven't purchase the Fireman II, but now I'm already eyeing on some other model, EM II Red Label in particular.

By the way, i have another question. Why does Ball put in so much into quality only to exchange for a small price? Will the price will always be reasonable like this? or eventually it will increase?

I heard that the quality of Ball can go on par with Omega, if that's true, Omega will certainly feel the chill down the spine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i really should make my purchase soon, before everything start to skyrocket. The reason for them to come out with in-house movement, is it because ETA will stop supplying their movement to outside companies?

If that so, do you think Ball own in-house movement will be superior to the ETA movements?

If that's the case, Ball will be a very impressive brand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Everyone anticipates a huge price soar with the in-house movement, but I don't think it's gunna be as bad as everyone thinks. Best pricing in the business is one of Ball's biggest edges on the competition. I lean towards the thinking that their in-house movement timepieces will obv be way more expensive, but im sure they will still offer the same low priced ETA pieces as well, no?

I really dont think Ball will do well if they skyrocket all their prices. They would definitely lose their edge imo before they make their name known mote definitively. When u spend 5-10k on a Rolex/Breitling/Omega/Patek etc, you will always wonder if u shoulda done the addition on the house instead. With Ball, you get equal quality and u don't have to be loaded to have one AND you have something unique and different that every average snob doesn't have. Like with everyday average women, a coach bag isn't even respected anymore, cuz everyone and their mother has one. Kind of like Rolexs, when u see one on someone, all u know is at one point or another, they had money to get one. When I see someone with a Ball, I know they know watches and I can have a like-minded, intelligent conversation with them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Everyone anticipates a huge price soar with the in-house movement, but I don't think it's gunna be as bad as everyone thinks. Best pricing in the business is one of Ball's biggest edges on the competition. I lean towards the thinking that their in-house movement timepieces will obv be way more expensive, but im sure they will still offer the same low priced ETA pieces as well, no?

I really dont think Ball will do well if they skyrocket all their prices. They would definitely lose their edge imo before they make their name known mote definitively. When u spend 5-10k on a Rolex/Breitling/Omega/Patek etc, you will always wonder if u shoulda done the addition on the house instead. With Ball, you get equal quality and u don't have to be loaded to have one AND you have something unique and different that every average snob doesn't have. Like with everyday average women, a coach bag isn't even respected anymore, cuz everyone and their mother has one. Kind of like Rolexs, when u see one on someone, all u know is at one point or another, they had money to get one. When I see someone with a Ball, I know they know watches and I can have a like-minded, intelligent conversation with them.
Well Said!! I also believe prices will continue to be a strong selling point for Ball. There will be in house movements and ETA movements, it will not be an overnight thing!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

WOW- thats all i can say to the comment above. You really have a point there. From what you said, my love for Ball grew even more.
I really like the last part that you've mentioned, the situation comparison you made with Coach bag and Rolex, its so true.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the low pricing is primarily because Ball is not as well known as the other brands. But that being said, I don't think they're ever really going to put their prices as high as the competition other than on their in house movement pieces when they come out because its become probably their biggest edge on the market that they are simply the absolute best quality watches without being overpriced. And even on their in house movement pieces I'd assume they will still be a bit below the other brands to keep that edge going.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Keep dreaming. A Rolex guy is in charge now, and prices have already risen about 2x (admittedly, features/quality - like the applied markers with integrated tubes - has risen also).

Compare price on original Fireman to Fireman II to Fireman Racer for example.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Keep dreaming. A Rolex guy is in charge now, and prices have already risen about 2x (admittedly, features/quality - like the applied markers with integrated tubes - has risen also).

Compare price on original Fireman to Fireman II to Fireman Racer for example.
Much of the price increase was felt throughout the Swiss watch world, due to the weakness of the US dollar.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Because marketing alone will never build a brand or a reputation the way that quality and value will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.