WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...just puilled the trigger on a BC Cumulus pre-order...I really thought I was going for a Lum Tec, but found "Stolas"...I think I made the right choice...

Anyway I can't wait to get it and I'll be seeing you around here...

Also, does anyone have a line on a blue leather "croc" strap...I'm thinking it would make a nice second strap for this model.

WingNut

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Wingnut, saw your previous posting in the Lum-Tec forum, hope the BallCall treats you well. I'm on the fence about pre-ordering a Warthog + myself. These sandwich dials certainly look like they could be very interesting, and the line as a whole a very good value watch. I'm hoping there is some more info/pictures in the near future!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Patrick,

I first looked at the Warthog, but decided to be a bit different and go "blue"...I also like the "pelican" logo on the dial, probably not for everybody!

Limited edition too...

The sandwich dial, that's another reason I went Stolas over Lum Tec, I like that style.

·
Registered
157 Posts
All good reasons. Blue is not quite as versatile in my opinion, but for those that like it, its hard to beat! I don't mind the Pelican actually, I think it looks good on that model. The Warthog + fills a few things I've been looking for hopefully. A daily wearer that is black, with a clearly legible dial at night, automatic, and under 1K. I was considering one of the B Combats from Lum-tec as my next purchase (other then the M53 of theirs that I already have on pre-order) but this Warthog Sandwich dial and bezel is actually more appealing to me. Now if the side view and movement questions I still have are all good, then I'm in!

Lum-Tec actually made 2 sandwich dial watches (the M61 and M62) that were the WTF edition watches. they are all sold out already though.

My understanding is that there will be more of that style of dial to come in the 2013 line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The M61, 62's were nice...I wouldn't have gotten one in time if I had wanted to, only 50 made each I think. I also really didn't like the blue and green together.

I agree...I like the "porthole" style of the bezel on the BallCalls.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Curtis...

Looking forward to getting the Cumulus...will check out your link...still think you've got it over Lum Tec...

How can I contact off board?

·
Registered
572 Posts
How can I contact off board??
By looking at our site you can get a sense that I am a very techno guy, I create everything you see from STØLÅS, websites, advertisements, graphics, shirts, Facebook (Christina does that also), twitter, etc and yes, all the watches :)

We have it all at stolas.us :)

yea email works too LOL [email protected]

·
Registered
533 Posts
I am thinking of ordering one of these too, since blue is my favorite color.
A question is it 24MM lugs, and is the blue illuminating, like the other watches.
If it does I would really like to see a picture of that?

·
Registered
157 Posts
A question is it 24MM lugs, and is the blue illuminating, like the other watches.
I'm 99% sure the lugs are 24 mm, but not sure if the Lum is blue or not, Curtis would have to answer that.

Nice to see another Lum-Tec owner looking to branch out with a Stolas :biggrin:

I've read every review I could find on the harbormaster series, and it was all very positive. These BallCall watches remind me of Lum-Tec's second gen offerings in a way. With every new year, the designs get a little more refined, better details, etc.

nice to find another 1K range watch that feels at home next to other more expensive pieces from the big brands.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hi Blue! Yes the lugs are 24mm, same as the Harbormaster. The blue will lumed like that of the Spinnaker's bezel, not the 12&6. The Spinnaker's bezel uses a different chemical makeup giving it it's brighter luminescent.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi Blue! Yes the lugs are 24mm, same as the Harbormaster. The blue will lumed like that of the Spinnaker's bezel, not the 12&6. The Spinnaker's bezel uses a different chemical makeup giving it it's brighter luminescent.
http://www.stolaswatch.co/shop/product_images/o/676/SpinnLumeWeb__82551_zoom.jpg

Yet the 12 & 6 seem to be more the correct color when lumed up, strange.

I guess there is no pictures of a prototype glowing in the dark, it would be cool to see, and it might help people decide if they want to buy it.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Welcome WingNut to the forum and Stølås. I can't wait to see a Cumulus in my hands as well.

This one is definitely at the top of my list for this years offering(s). As soon as I saw the blue I was hooked.

I have always wanted a Bell&R BR03-92/Blue and this dial reminds me very much of that timepiece.

Curtis, we are all excited to see more pics:thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks gman...

Wanted opinions on these two straps from Kain Heritage...done in sharkskin...

The blue really seems to match the vision of the “storm” for the Cumulus.

xis803b

Maybe the orange for a contrast strap rather than matching.

xis821b

Both can be had with a PVD buckle to match.
I own three of these exact Sharkskins, they are awesome, the one you posted in blue is on my Lumtec M62, it is much darker in real life, I also have there red and sapphire blue one, that picture of the sapphire blue one doesn't do it justice, it is way nicer in real life, I got it with an ivory stitch, it is on my Lumtec M43, I really like these straps thats why I have three, I have had people at work more wowed with my watch straps than the watches themselves, they want to feel the texture. If I get the Cumulas I would be trying both these blue ones on it just to see how it would look, which I am sure would be awesome, each creating it's own distinctive look, I am thinking the orange would rock on the Stolas Genoa.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blue...

I'm glad to hear that the Navy shark is darker in real life...I was concerned it might be too light. The sapphire looks nice also, but too "turquoise" for me, at least for this watch.

I think if you look at the photo you will see what I mean about the Navy blue shark fitting the "storm" theme of the watch...

http://www.stolaswatch.co/images/pfolio-7-cumulus.jpg

Anyway, I think it will really set it off and as you mentioned get some comments! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Blue...

I'm glad to hear that the Navy shark is darker in real life...I was concerned it might be too light. The sapphire looks nice also, but too "turquoise" for me, at least for this watch.

I think if you look at the photo you will see what I mean about the Navy blue shark fitting the "storm" theme of the watch...

http://www.stolaswatch.co/images/pfolio-7-cumulus.jpg

Anyway, I think it will really set it off and as you mentioned get some comments! :thumbup1:
Just so you can make an informed choice I am posting this in regards to color

Turquoise watch strap
http://stuller.scene7.com/is/image/Stuller/28131181-fd136ced-ae53-4c87-a899-0eae7e763b96?$standard$

Sapphire Blue
xis819b

The picture above does not do this strap justice the blue is more sapphire and brighter and the black that you can't see is more pronounced on this strap.
My strap has no turquoise in it.
Anyways I am sure you can pick one of these that suits your taste for the cumulus.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts