WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the aviator and am hoping to get one (eventually). I've read that the smaller version uses T25 lume (due to export laws regarding tritium) whereas the larger model uses T100 tubes.
Two questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that ALL 44mm Aviators use T25 tubes? That is, was there a T100 version produced for the US market, or was the 44 only made for other markets, and so was only ever available as a T25?

2. Is there actually much difference in lume between the T25 and the T100 tubes? Just because it's a big number difference, is it actually a big visible difference?

Thanks for any help,
Shayne.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
[rant]Aargh! Can someone please sticky a post that there are not T25 or T100 tubes, that T25 and T100 refer to the TOTAL amount of tritium contained in the watch, and that the brightness depends on how they arrive at that total?

For example, a T100 watch may have a lot of small tubes in one of the dimmer colors and not be as bright as a T25 that has a few of the larger tubes in one of the brighter colors. I believe there are also higher pressure tubes that have more tritium for the same size, and should last longer, but the brightness is about the same.[/rant]

I don't know the answer globally, having compared the 44 and 46 in the store, they looked similar in terms of lume. There is a big difference going to the dual time though.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ~tc~
From the tone of your reply it seems this may be a common question. A sticky along the lines of "T25/T100 - brightness explained" or similar might be a very good idea. If you write something up it will be easy for the Ball Mod to sticky it, and you will hopefully suffer less noob questions, or at least you can point them to the sticky without having to explain it every time.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I love the aviator and am hoping to get one (eventually). I've read that the smaller version uses T25 lume (due to export laws regarding tritium) whereas the larger model uses T100 tubes.
Two questions:

1. Can anyone confirm that ALL 44mm Aviators use T25 tubes? That is, was there a T100 version produced for the US market, or was the 44 only made for other markets, and so was only ever available as a T25?

2. Is there actually much difference in lume between the T25 and the T100 tubes? Just because it's a big number difference, is it actually a big visible difference?

Thanks for any help,
Shayne.
Shayne

To answer your question as intended, the 44 mm Aviator came only in T 25, while the 46 mm Aviator came in T 25 and T 100.

The 44 mm version used the same hour tubes as the Night Train, which was only slightly narrower then the fatter tubes on the 46 mm version.

I owned both versions at the same time for a while, and frankly could not tell the difference in brightness at all.

Here are some pictures. The 46 mm is on the left.

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's excellent - thanks rob :thumbup1:.
You would be the right person to ask another question I have about the two. Does the 44mm wear noticeably smaller than the 46mm? Or conversely, is the 46mm overly large on the wrist? It's very subjective, as many watch models quote a size, but look very different on the wrist. Case in point (pun intended....) the Oris Divers (except the newest Aquis models) taper from the bottom to the top, so a large size quoted in the specs is usually quite smaller on the wrist when viewed from the top (if that makes sense?).
Since you had both models of the Aviator you probably recall if they were very different. The photos you posted do show the difference in the width of the markers but it's hard to tell if the case size is much bigger.
I guess I'm trying to make sure I don't end up getting a 44mm and regretting it if it's too small. Personally, I don't think that will be the case, but any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I have 8 inch wrists and much prefer the 44 mm over the 46 mm. I simply found it to be more appropriate for more uses. I wear a suit and tie to work every day, and the 46 mm size just did not seem to be dressy enough. (I know this is totally subjective, but there you have it. )

I understand what you're saying about divers. I had a Certina DS-3 Reissue that had the same effect that you were describing. In my opinion, the 46 mm Aviator looks 46 mm.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again, thanks very much Rob. This will help a lot when it becomes time to hunt one down :thumbup1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
46 size

I have the larger size (46)- and it's my favorite watch! I have another Ball watch that is 'only' a 44mm size- but I think it sits well on my wrist as well. I now don't buy watches smaller than a 42mm now. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Keep in mind that both Aviators are 100m water resistant. A great strap choice for them is the World Time Diver rubber "leather-look" strap if you want something that looks appropriate and can get wet.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep in mind that both Aviators are 100m water resistant. A great strap choice for them is the World Time Diver rubber "leather-look" strap if you want something that looks appropriate and can get wet.

Rob
Really like the look of that strap :thumbup1:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rob, You are the man, the Ball man, that is. :biggrin: That picture would sure be a good advertisement for the NEW Ball for BMW!!!
By the way, I agree with Rob, I prefer the 44mm version, but it is all personal preference and one of the brightest watches I have is T25 (EMII classic) Rob has one too, they are bright!!!
Mike

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shayne

To answer your question as intended, the 44 mm Aviator came only in T 25, while the 46 mm Aviator came in T 25 and T 100.

The 44 mm version used the same hour tubes as the Night Train, which was only slightly narrower then the fatter tubes on the 46 mm version.

I owned both versions at the same time for a while, and frankly could not tell the difference in brightness at all.

Here are some pictures. The 46 mm is on the left.

Rob

Hey Rob,

New Ball owner and I have a quick question about your pictures.

I've noticed that the glow of the lume on your pictures are a lot brighter than my new Ball Nightrain I. I'm guessing that these pictures are taken with some sort of outside light source, my guess is one of those blue light flashlights that extenuate the lume?

Or else I am worried that my lume is low or something, which I doubt. I just need verification to get rid of that little bit of buyers remorse.. Otherwise I love the watch and am very happy to have finally pulled the trigger on it!!

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!

Dan

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Lume pictures never reflect reality due to long exposures. You can see the blur of the second hand in the second pic - looks like a 5 second exposure time

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What tc said. We usually try to make the lume shots 'pop' for pics posted in a thread, so they often look somewhat brighter than you think they look on the wrist. Having said that, they are still an incredible lume.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
My lume pictures are very low-tech. I sit my camera on the counter facing the watches, set the aperture to the maximum opening, and give a 15 second exposure.

For the second shot, where you see lume and a lit background, all I do is flick on the room light for a split second during the 15 second exposure.

No black lights. No photo shopping. Nothing special at all actually.

Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts