WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always had a natural draw to Ball watches. The first mechanical watch that anyone ever showed me and explained the finer points to me about was a Ball Diver Worldtime. It was the nicest watch I had ever seen and I wanted the same one that my buddy had from that day on. So began my obsession with automatic watches and divers in particular. Fast forward a few years and Swiss timepieces later...

I recently was hired in a job that requires me to wear a suit daily, and what better watch than something from the elegant trainmaster series. While browsing online, I came across several I liked and several more I loved but could not afford. Down to the watch shop I went- Vera’s Fine Jewelry, AD extraordinaire. Mike was very helpful and we examined the options based on budget. Something about the 60 Seconds II stood out to me. I love the old style numbering and the blue hands on a white face. Although I wasn’t sure about the exact band I wanted, I took that baby home.

I have now been wearing it for several days. A few things I’ve noticed:

Accuracy is premium. I haven’t paid the STRICTEST attention to the accuracy, but in the last 24+ hours it has run about 45 seconds fast.

The blue hands present differently (color tone) in different lights- as seen in the pictures below. They appear bright blue when hit from the sides by light (think dusk) like in some pictures you’ve seen online. In artificial light, inside the car, etc, they seem a true dark blue. I find that the aesthetics of this watch grow on me daily.

The hands come to such a fine point and the seconds are so clearly labeled that I am LIGHTNING fast to tell the exact time, including seconds. I’ve never had a non-digital watch that was so easy to read.

The case size is perfect for my wrist and good overall for the given design. Tritium output is low for Ball watches in general, but given that this is a dress watch, appropriate. Still BRIGHT when you wake up in the middle of the night to check the time.

The current strap was happily obtained through Roberev (Thanks Rob) and is the Ball black croc with deployant clasp. I also purchased a Hirsch dark brown croc strap with contrast white stitching that I will try out sometime in the near future.

All the other fit and finish look and feel great. The crown has a swift pop once it clears the threads and winds very smoothly compared to my longines admiral. The sweeping seconds hand seems to also be a little smoother than my longines, even though both are running ETA movements.

All in all I would say I am happy to finally quench my thirst for a ball watch. I have always had a keen interest in traditional items and historical objects. I love telling inquiring minds about the history of the company, and why Ball means durability and prestige at the same time.

The ONLY thing I would change on this watch is the water resistance rating. I think that even though it is a dress watch, the thought that submerging it in some kind of emergency may cause the case to leak makes me cringe. I also acknowledge the fact that there is a school of thought out there that says 50M means 50M, it will not leak before that mark so I shouldn’t worry about it... but I err on the side of caution. I don’t know why I feel the need to wear a 200M resistant watch in the shower... its just one of those things.

Needless to say I am impressed with Ball. I don’t have a great deal of Swiss timepiece experience, but I have enough to know what I like and what makes the watch a winner.

Feel free to post your questions gentlemen.

Enjoy the pictures and Happy Holidays.

Scott

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have always had a natural draw to Ball watches. The first mechanical watch that anyone ever showed me and explained the finer points to me about was a Ball Diver Worldtime. It was the nicest watch I had ever seen and I wanted the same one that my buddy had from that day on. So began my obsession with automatic watches and divers in particular. Fast forward a few years and Swiss timepieces later...

I recently was hired in a job that requires me to wear a suit daily, and what better watch than something from the elegant trainmaster series. While browsing online, I came across several I liked and several more I loved but could not afford. Down to the watch shop I went- Vera’s Fine Jewelry, AD extraordinaire. Mike was very helpful and we examined the options based on budget. Something about the 60 Seconds II stood out to me. I love the old style numbering and the blue hands on a white face. Although I wasn’t sure about the exact band I wanted, I took that baby home.

I have now been wearing it for several days. A few things I’ve noticed:

Accuracy is premium. I haven’t paid the STRICTEST attention to the accuracy, but in the last 24+ hours it has run about 45 seconds fast.

The blue hands present differently (color tone) in different lights- as seen in the pictures below. They appear bright blue when hit from the sides by light (think dusk) like in some pictures you’ve seen online. In artificial light, inside the car, etc, they seem a true dark blue. I find that the aesthetics of this watch grow on me daily.

The hands come to such a fine point and the seconds are so clearly labeled that I am LIGHTNING fast to tell the exact time, including seconds. I’ve never had a non-digital watch that was so easy to read.

The case size is perfect for my wrist and good overall for the given design. Tritium output is low for Ball watches in general, but given that this is a dress watch, appropriate. Still BRIGHT when you wake up in the middle of the night to check the time.

The current strap was happily obtained through Roberev (Thanks Rob) and is the Ball black croc with deployant clasp. I also purchased a Hirsch dark brown croc strap with contrast white stitching that I will try out sometime in the near future.

All the other fit and finish look and feel great. The crown has a swift pop once it clears the threads and winds very smoothly compared to my longines admiral. The sweeping seconds hand seems to also be a little smoother than my longines, even though both are running ETA movements.

All in all I would say I am happy to finally quench my thirst for a ball watch. I have always had a keen interest in traditional items and historical objects. I love telling inquiring minds about the history of the company, and why Ball means durability and prestige at the same time.

The ONLY thing I would change on this watch is the water resistance rating. I think that even though it is a dress watch, the thought that submerging it in some kind of emergency may cause the case to leak makes me cringe. I also acknowledge the fact that there is a school of thought out there that says 50M means 50M, it will not leak before that mark so I shouldn’t worry about it... but I err on the side of caution. I don’t know why I feel the need to wear a 200M resistant watch in the shower... its just one of those things.

Needless to say I am impressed with Ball. I don’t have a great deal of Swiss timepiece experience, but I have enough to know what I like and what makes the watch a winner.

Feel free to post your questions gentlemen.

Enjoy the pictures and Happy Holidays.

Scott
Hi Scott,
Thank you for the compliment, I am glad you are enjoying your watch! I love it on the Black croc!! Nice pics too, I can sell them, I just can't seem to get a decent picture of them.:001_unsure:
Mike

·
Super Moderator
16,568 Posts
That is a great looking watch.
I'm glad you like it- and I'm glad you had a positive experience with Vera's Fine Jewelers. That's always good to hear.
I wouldn't worry about water-resistance as long as you don't fiddle with the case back and keep the crown screwed in! I've never had a problem with my Fireman II.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.