WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father is giving me a family heirloom that my Great Grandfather gave him. He is giving it to me for funding my two son's college education...woot! He had it appraised several years back and it came out to somewhere around 50K...though he doubts that it will fetch "near that much" in today's market. Photos are below. I dare not crack the caseback open with my limited knowledge and tools, therefore I don't have pics of the movement. It includes the original display box with Bailey, Banks & Biddle insignia inside, a little pocket of soft material, a gold/platinum chain and gold knife. Here are the few details I know regarding the watch: 'BAILEY, BANKS & BIDDLE' on watch face and caseback. 'Switzerland' at the bottom of the watch face. At the top of the winder where the chain connector is...is has 'PPC' stamped on it (Patek Philippe Company?). On the back of the caseback is engraved 'To XXXX XXXXXXX A Veteran of Veterans Semper Fidelis 1896-1940 From Sun Oil Company'. Can anyone tell me more about this watch? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,477 Posts
I'm afraid there's very little we can tell you since we know nothing about the movement. And while I suppose it is possible the movement was made by Patek Philippe, there is no evidence of it at this time.

1) PPC is not an uncommon hallmark in jewelry. You will find it on medals, pendants, crosses, and earrings as well as (apparently) some watch cases. And Patek Philippe has nothing to do with those first three items!
2) Depending on where your research takes you: PPC is described as either a maker's mark or a hallmark of the purity of the gold or silver of which the item is made. (Google search: ppc jewelry.
3) Being Swiss, Patek Philippe would not use the American word "company" in their name! If anything at all they would use the term manufacture.

(Please don't get me wrong.) I'm not dissing your fine heirloom. I'm merely trying to prevent your research from going down a dead-end. Since you don't want to damage the case, take your watch to a local watch repair shop and have it professionally opened. Then you'll be able to photograph the movement and we will have better information to work with. :thumbup1:

BTW...your camera skills also get a :thumbup1:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Google says PPC in this context means Princess Pride Creations.

Source: ocgold.com/blog/?p=17354 (commercial site, so no direct link).

As for the movement, I'm guessing either Rolex or ETA. I'm 100% sure it's Swiss, though. Can't imagine BB&B using a Chinese movement! ;o)

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd say Rolex or Eta would be very unlikely given the apparent age of the watch.

Any high grade Swiss movement maker would be a good guess-I'd say Patek could be a good possibility, or possibly Vacheron, Agassiz, or any other the other high grade movement houses of old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts