WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no or very little search results about this movement. I understand why, it’s because they are basically trash from a market perspective. This is out of a Mentor brand watch from 1940s the purpose of this thread is to note what I learn from poking around it and if anyone wants to chime in go ahead.

as of right now I’m only half way thru the tear down and rebuild. It’s apart and clean

what i know so far is this watch has 0 jewels, so axle hole tolerance is critical and regular oiling is it’s only hope at longevity.

very minimal parts, extremely basic
it has a ‘90degree ‘ pallet fork ( not sure about it’s technical name)

I’ll keep adding as I progress with, hopefully, what parts worked for me and things like that

33mm diameter
41mm L2L
17mm lug width

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,882 Posts
When you mentioned that the movement was trash, I figured i would have a look at the Mikrolisk site for any trademark info. Not sure where the wordmark 'bathroom' comes into play but this is what i found;
Rectangle Font Screenshot Display device Darkness

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s just too funny. My poor grandpa just wasn’t allowed to have anything nice lol. Ya know what? Too bad if it’s a “potty watch” I’m dolling it up any way at least to make mom smile, perhaps give it to my uncle.

their both on their last stretch and seeing a freshened up memory would do em well.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,451 Posts
I don't know of a single place where it says a good dependable watch needs to look :beautiful". That watch needs to be enjoyed for its years of honest service and the memories it helped make. Take it to a good watchmaker and have it serviced right!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Minor update, a few parts came in. Of those, namely a parts watch (very very over wound). This movement is extremely similar with minor differences and not marked Bader&Hafner.I’m weary this pallet fork will work as it has notable differences but the core functional design is the same. ( original pallet fork shown in post 1).
This pallet fork has posts that will engage the escapement wheel and they are in great shape. My pallet fork did not, which is shown in a picture I took before I even touched it to take it out. That fact is racking my brain. How did my watch tick along before it was dismantled if it didn’t have posts on the pallet? The gap between the pallet and escarpment wheel is visible to the naked eye! I never really wound the watch, just a turn or two so perhaps I mistook its running condition, or the gunk was slowing it down enough to appear to run? Eh!
Also, I prepared this new movement in a way I WISH I did with MY movement. With a fist full of varied colored sharpies ( not really intending on cleaning the screws and if so only one at a time to then recolor them after wards)

pictures included are:
1 The new pallet
2 The new movement colored
3 My movement with rear plate removed showing my pallet and it’s condition on first sight
4. A better angle of the shape of the new pallet

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts