WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had nothing but problems with two IWC watches belonging to my son (Spitfire Mark XV) and me (Portofino), both automatics. The Spitfire has been sent back to Schaffhausen four times for repair work. According to my son, it is finally functioning properly presently. My Portofino has never worked normally since I bought it several years ago. The problems persisted despite four repair attempts by Schaffhausen, including de-magnetisation and replacement of the movement. It is presently on its way or is at Schaffhausen the FIFTH time for evaluation. Although an automatic, it continually stops running in the early hours of the day after being worn normally the day before. Also, it is slow by 30 seconds to a minute each day (according to IWC a mechanical automatic watch should not be off by more than 5 seconds a day). The only saving grace has been IWC's free repair service the past four times. Nevertheless, I am disgusted with the performance of this watch. i have reached the point that I am prepared to demand the substitution of my calibre with another more dependable calibre of similar value. I have strong doubts now about either the quality of repair work by Schaffhausen or the adequate functioning of this calibre model. Is it really an automatic movement or do I actually own a semi-automatic watch? What is the matter with IWC, selling this JUNK watch? Its functioning certainly besmirches the reputation of this brand.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After reading your post, and keeping in mind that you don't really say what your issues have been over four services, if the problem has always been the watch stopping overnight and running slow, I am willing to bet that you're not active enough during the day to keep the watch properly wound via the automatic system. Give it 15 or 20 winds of the crown every day to ensure it's fully wound or swing your arms around a bit more and I'm sure you'll see an improvement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are incorrect. My movements are normal every day. I am not an invalid. confined to a bed. My vintage Omega Automatic, Cyma Automatic, and Rolex Automatic watches, when worn the same by me during the day, all run properly without any stoppage the next day and all keep excellent time. My vintage Citizen, Seiko, and Sea Gull watches all perform similarly. There is something inherently wrong with my IWC watches!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like you have really bad luck with IWC. I get the feeling that even if they were repaired you will still be unhappy with the brand. Move on to something that makes you happy.

Good luck,
Dave

PS. No issues with my Mark XV for 6 years.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I also have a Mark XV and recently got it back from being serviced after 6 years of very regular and sometimes rough use... Sorry to hear about your bad experience...

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
No problems with any of the 6 IWC's I've owned. My Portofino is the most stable automatic I own, and the Spitfire XV I used to own was well within COSC specs.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I also have a Mark XV and recently got it back from being serviced after 6 years of very regular and sometimes rough use... Sorry to hear about your bad experience...

That is one beautiful watch.

That's the IWC watch that first made me aware of the brand.

Their ads used to be on the back covers of Cigar Aficionado magazines back in the Nineties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just noted this thread. I've had the same problem with the same watch! The difference is that I've had it submitted for "servicing" 15-20 over the past two decades. The problem remains with the frequency of stoppage increasing to about twice weekly. Interestingly, the company has never commented on the cause of the stoppages!

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Give it 15 or 20 winds of the crown every day to ensure it's fully wound or swing your arms around a bit more and I'm sure you'll see an improvement.
To the OP: The suggestion made by Chris is worth a try. Although, I can't imagine what could be wrong with the watch that the company itself hasn't been able to solve after FOUR services, but you just may be able to narrow down the cause of problem if this works out. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts