WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A colleague inherited this from his father. Would anyone be able to offer some background information or details on the below watch images?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found some information on another site. Per serial, it appears to have been made around 1895/1896?

Found it pretty neat to see in person.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That is one of Elgin's 'Streamline' models, the movement is a grade 451. The Streamline models were thinner than the standard 12 size watches of the time. The 451 was made from 1919 till 1926. Yours is from 1925.

The Pocket Watch Database: Hamilton, South Bend, Illinois & Elgin Serial Number Lookup.

The case is solid 14k white gold. There was no particular name attached to this case, but I think it might have been in Elgin's 'Classic' series, within the Streamline series.

This was one of Elgin's highest grade watches of the time. The Lord Elgin name was reserved for Elgin's highest quality products. 19 jewels, gold jewel settings, gold train. There were only two grades higher than this - the 450, which is a 21jewel Lord Elgin movement, and the C.H. Hulburd, which I believe is also 19 jewels, but with even finer finish, and a unique bridge design. The 19j 451was cased in both solid gold and sometimes in gold fill (I think). The 21j 450 was only cased in solid 14k gold, and the C.H. Hulburd in 18k gold or platinum. Hulburds were a limited edition watch, and are rare sightings today.

You colleague has inherited a very nice watch! If it has not been serviced in the last 5 years - or it's not known when it was last serviced - it should be cleaned and oiled by a professional watchmaker before it is run for very much. Those old pocket watches are strong, they'll run long after the oil dries up, but it's not good for them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is one of Elgin's 'Streamline' models, the movement is a grade 451. The Streamline models were thinner than the standard 12 size watches of the time. The 451 was made from 1919 till 1926. Yours is from 1925.

The Pocket Watch Database: Hamilton, South Bend, Illinois & Elgin Serial Number Lookup.

The case is solid 14k white gold. There was no particular name attached to this case, but I think it might have been in Elgin's 'Classic' series, within the Streamline series.

This was one of Elgin's highest grade watches of the time. The Lord Elgin name was reserved for Elgin's highest quality products. 19 jewels, gold jewel settings, gold train. There were only two grades higher than this - the 450, which is a 21jewel Lord Elgin movement, and the C.H. Hulburd, which I believe is also 19 jewels, but with even finer finish, and a unique bridge design. The 19j 451was cased in both solid gold and sometimes in gold fill (I think). The 21j 450 was only cased in solid 14k gold, and the C.H. Hulburd in 18k gold or platinum. Hulburds were a limited edition watch, and are rare sightings today.

You colleague has inherited a very nice watch! If it has not been serviced in the last 5 years - or it's not known when it was last serviced - it should be cleaned and oiled by a professional watchmaker before it is run for very much. Those old pocket watches are strong, they'll run long after the oil dries up, but it's not good for them.
Really appreciate the info and clarification GeneJockey! Thanks for chiming in. Very good information. :thumbup1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts