WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local airport hosted a gather of WWII planes, the B25s in recognition of the 70th anniversary of the "Doolittle Raid"
. Too bad that Saturday was a rainy day
. It was still cool to see all these B25s

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've made parts for both the 30cal & 50cal machine guns - in the past. I'm a toolmaker by trade, get to make lots of interesting parts for a living....... I've also been involved in building molds for the "brain cable" for the US Navy's "Smart Mine". Also have made bell helicopter parts, Sparrow Missle launch mechanisms, brake system parts for NASAs space shuttle. . Plus many various automotive progressive dies. . Currently I'm making tooling for beer cans - it doesn't sound as interesting, but high speed can presses are very intricate, very close tolerance parts. Also make orthopedic implants, such as knee replacement parts, hip, shoulder, ankle, spinal implant, fracture plate in addition to lots of the stainless steel instruments that surgeons use to install the implants. . I like my job.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a tab strip. I grind all the tiny punches that stamp out the tab, takes many tiny punches to nibble out the shape with tiny punch shapes, typically 7 progressive strikes completes the the shape of the tab, with all the folds or as we call it "curl" . All while the press is running at 750 strokes per minute. . .

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Very much enjoyed seeing the B25's.
I hope that someday a person with a talent like yours decides to make some new index gears for Bulova Accutrons.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Great shots and looks to have been a brilliant day. My Dad was a 15 yr old civilian dispatch rider for U.S. 5TH Army Air Force in Nth Queensland during the war. I remember his stories of seeing planes returning from missions with bits shot off and still flying. We in Aust. owe so much to those young guys who flew those planes.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if JohnR might post some pictures from the event? I recall JohnR as an excellent photographer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I wonder if JohnR might post some pictures from the event? I recall JohnR as an excellent photographer.
Actually, as soon as I finish editing the vid from my day on Iwo Jima I'm hoping to put together a little move from Grime's Field along with my flight.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too bad we didn't know we were all gonna be there, would've been interesting to meet a WTF member in person, I could've introduced you to my oldest son - oldest by literally 1 minute and 2 minutes, his triplet sisters were shopping with they're mommy.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Great pics! Went up in a B-17 about three years ago and it was amazing. Gives you a whole other level of respect for the guys that flew in them. There are sharp edges on everything and it's a challenge getting around in it on a 30 min. flight, let alone when someone is trying to kill you and it's freezing cold. We had a 87 year old vet go up with us. He said the only difference was that last time he flew in one there was German flak everywhere.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Great pics, it would have been an interesting day. Great to see the old machines so well looked after, lots of history there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts