WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to pull the trigger on a watch tomorrow, but am having a tough time choosing. I was hoping some members could provide their opinions. I am looking for a versatile watch, something that I can wear daily. Hopefully it will be something I can wear casually, but also double as something a little more dressy should the situation arise. I tend to wear dress shirts and slacks to work, but am jeans and a t-shirt outside of that. I was immediately drawn to the 46mm Master II Aviator, but I am concerned it might be a little too big for me. (My wrist I just measured at somewhere between 7 1/2- 7 3/4 inches) Most of the other choices are either too dressy for me, or not dressy enough it seems. Although the Aviator is towards the top of my price range, I have wondered whether I should bite the bullet and spend a little more for the Black master diver. The kicker is that there don't appear to be any dealers near me, so I can't try these on or see them in person before I buy. I will never dive with the watch, so I wonder if it is overkill, or too busy based upon my style. Does anyone have any opinions on the two based on what I'm looking for? Basically I love the look of the aviator, more so than the diver, but it is the size I am worried about. I also found out that the 44mm aviator is discontinued, so it has to be the 46 or nothing I suppose. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
You present a close call, IMHO. I have stood at the same Aviator vs. Diver crossroad.

Unless you favor a large watch I personally lean toward the diver. It's the more versatile of the two and, more importantly, a better size than the 46mm Aviator.

While neither is technically a dress watch, the diver does dress up very well. Its stainless steel hands and applied markers give it a classy quality. It loves all different types of straps too.

Some pics either to aid in your decision or to make it harder :)

Rob

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I agree with Rob. To me the Diver is a little more versatile, and still can be dressed up - especially with the internal bezel.

Another possible option for you is the Aviator Dual-Time. A little smaller than the Aviator at 44mm's, but still can be dressed up or down.

I owned an Aviator Dual-Time and then bought a Worldtimer Diver. The Aviator DT was (and is) very nice, but I loved the Worldtimer Diver's functionality. Eventually the DT got sold as it just wasn't worn much once the Worldtimer Diver was in the collection. But I do dive (a lot!) and a good tube diver was very valuable to me. But, even if I didn't dive I'd almost certainly have picked the diver over the DT, just for the extra functionality it has.

Given your two options, I'd go with the master Diver. Had I not wanted the worldtimer it would have been at the top of my list.

Also keep in mind while the 44mm Aviator you mentioned may be discontinued I'd bet you can probably pick up a preowned one for little effort - and save some cash too.. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I finally saw the Master ii DLC I'm having an ever tougher time. Between the Diver and the DLC now since I'm worried the Aviator might be a little too big. I love the dual time but it is too expensive for me. Decisions. Decisions.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I can't help you on that one! :sad:

I'm simply not a fan of black-coated watches. While I truly appreciate the technology of DLC and respect that tastes differ, I personally think that black watches look cheap. I tried to like the Night Train, but couldn't. If I want a black watch, I'd get a Casio.

It also doesn't help that Ball doesn't offer a DLC bracelet. I understand the reasons, but I need a bracelet option for any watch that I own. Not very rational of me, I know. :T

Rob

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Wear on the finish. Apparently Ball experimented with a DLC bracelet option but found that there was no way to avoid wearing down the finish where parts move against each other.

At least this is what Ball said back when the Night Train was released.

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What has been your favorite strap by the way? I really like the looks of the first picture and would never thought of that combo.

You present a close call, IMHO. I have stood at the same Aviator vs. Diver crossroad.

Unless you favor a large watch I personally lean toward the diver. It's the more versatile of the two and, more importantly, a better size than the 46mm Aviator.

While neither is technically a dress watch, the diver does dress up very well. Its stainless steel hands and applied markers give it a classy quality. It loves all different types of straps too.

Some pics either to aid in your decision or to make it harder :)

Rob

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Now that I finally saw the Master ii DLC I'm having an ever tougher time. Between the Diver and the DLC now since I'm worried the Aviator might be a little too big.
I like the DLC look, always have. But haven't ever bought one for the reason Rob brought up - no bracelet. I need a bracelet on a sport watch. I do not want a sweaty band on a sport watch in the summer here. No bracelet on a sport watch = no sale for me.

It also doesn't help that Ball doesn't offer a DLC bracelet. I understand the reasons, but I need a bracelet option for any watch that I own. Not very rational of me, I know. :T
I agree 100%, and it's VERY rational IMO. :thumbup1:

what would those reasons be?
Wear on the finish. Apparently Ball experimented with a DLC bracelet option but found that there was no way to avoid wearing down the finish where parts move against each other.

At least this is what Ball said back when the Night Train was released.

And I don't accept those reasons as legitimate at all. Many other companies do PVD bracelets that wear extremely well. And given Ball's claims DLC is "better" than PVD I don't see why wear on the bracelet would be an issue. Yes, it could wear & show SS below the DLC and you'll get some wear between the links (this is very minimal though). But then again a SS bracelet can be gouged, and a leather strap wears out. When that happens, you replace them. It's not like it's a yearly occurrence and honestly the Ball bracelets aren't that much more than their leather straps cost. I read stories all the time on PVD bracelets wearing extremely well in harsh conditions for years. So to me the wear issue is a non-issue and just an excuse to me. My personal opinion is they just don't want to do it.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
You can, of course, buy the stainless steel bracelet and send it to Jack at IWW for DLC or PVD. I think he still does that.

My favorite strap for the diver was the original rubber and the black Genesis II alligator shown in the first picture.

As much as I like the look of the Hirsch Leonardo, it really was not all that comfortable when compared to other straps.

Rob

·
Registered
390 Posts
You can, of course, buy the stainless steel bracelet and send it to Jack at IWW for DLC or PVD. I think he still does that.

My favorite strap for the diver was the original rubber and the black Genesis II alligator shown in the first picture.

As much as I like the look of the Hirsch Leonardo, it really was not all that comfortable when compared to other straps.

Rob

Jack is local to me and I bought a used Fireman I bracelet for the purpose of the DLC coating, only to get a quote from him for over half of the price of the Night Train itself so I passed.

Maybe some day I'll get it done, but I'd rather save my cheese for more watches! :wink:

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
It's definitely cost prohibitive, which is one reason why I never tried. It's a good option if cost is no object though.

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts