WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An avatar (abbreviations include AV, ava, avie, avy, avi, avvie, avis, avies, avii, and avvy) is computer user's representation of himself or herself, whether in the form of a three-dimensional model used in computer games, a two-dimensional icon (picture) used on Internet forums and other communities, or a text construct found on early systems such as MUDs. The term "avatar" can also refer to the personality connected with the screen name, or handle, of an Internet user.

I am "borrowing" this one from the General Forum and I noticed that for the new year, there are a number of avatar changes here on OIF (Original Invicta Forum). Please fill us in on why you picked you avatar?

Mine is just a pic of me in the 7th grade. . . where I spent three glorious years learning how to diagram sentences. . .;)

·
Banned
2,453 Posts
Triton is a sea god, who is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite.He blew a Triton (conch) shell trumpet to calm the seas.The name Triton, is part of the company name my wife Natalie and I share.Nat was in a car accident 3 years ago and was laid up for quite a while,so to keep busy and make some money,she sold some of her exotic sea shell collection on ebay.The Triton shells were very popular and the name Triton's Treasures came to her for our company name.Nat and I just LOVE the ocean and diving for treasures is our passion,so I thought Triton would be a cool avatar.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I adopted a variation of Sherlock Holmes' address as my own some time ago. I have used two different versions for my screen name on different sites. When adding an avatar I decided on a classic silhouette. For my signature on this forum I decided to add a watch related quote from the canon.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Triton is a sea god, who is the son of Poseidon and Amphitrite.He blew a Triton (conch) shell trumpet to calm the seas.The name Triton, is part of the company name my wife Natalie and I share.Nat was in a car accident 3 years ago and was laid up for quite a while,so to keep busy and make some money,she sold some of her exotic sea shell collection on ebay.The Triton shells were very popular and the name Triton's Treasures came to her for our company name.Nat and I just LOVE the ocean and diving for treasures is our passion,so I thought Triton would be a cool avatar.
Wow, Larry I have to say I really liked that short story, I picked mine for one reason. I like falcons! Thats it thats all, nothing as interesting as yours Triton.

·
Banned
927 Posts
My toy for the last 20 years. 252,000 miles and still going strong.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Today I put up a n avatar. I guess it means I'm going to stick around.lol

Its the Wright Brothers Memorial and from the town I live.

First in Flight!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Wow, Larry I have to say I really liked that short story, I picked mine for one reason. I like falcons! Thats it thats all, nothing as interesting as yours Triton.
Hey, you cant be afraid of heights and call yourself "Falcon"... The safer bird would be the "Penguin", just because they never get off of the ground. Falcons are more cool than Penguins in many respects.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
My current avatar is me. I do have a habit of changing my avatar to fit certain occasions or sometimes even current events.

I am quite active on this board and I have used literally hundreds of avatars for a variety of reasons, some even auto-rotating when I had an image hosting site that provided such a service. PHP is too complicated for me.

Avatars are an easy way to identify users quickly and also to distinguish between members with similar user names.

Then there are those like me who keep people guessing. But, how many GradyPhilpotts do you know?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hail to the Redskins!

My norm is one of me with yet another expensive hobby but I changed for a short time showing my support of the Skins and their scalping the Cowboys yesterday!:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

To be honest, I don't know if they can get past the Seahawks Saturday, but if they do, we Redskins fans want to go at the Cowboys again a lot more than the Cowboy fans want to face the Skins again!:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hey Charlie, I don't follow the NFL a whole bunch (I'm more into the CFL) but I do like the Saints and Patriots regardless of how they are doing at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The Saints?

It was living in New Orleans for 22 years and following the Saints year after year that taught me just how insignificant professional football is in the grand scheme of things.

During football season, most New Orleanians would meet criteria for Bipolar Disorder.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine is the USS Hammerhead (SSN663). Served from 71-75 as a radioman.

Dave

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mine's taken from the cover of The Bourne Supremecy book. His code name is Delta, which is my handle, which is because it's a nickname a long time friend gave me, so I thought it fit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts