WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying a watch (a Speedy in this case) would you choose an automatic or manual? Is one better or worse than the other? :confused1:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering that too. Automatics are an engineering wonder, but then again, that display back on the manual wind is a sight to behold. Would the manual wind "moonwatch" be considered more rugged? Are autos more delicate?

tony

When buying a watch (a Speedy in this case) would you choose an automatic or manual? Is one better or worse than the other? :confused1:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hi there Guys

I don't think any one type is more robust than the other.

The " must have " Speedy for enthusiasts is the manually-wound Pro model as you probably know primarily die to its' associations with the time-honoured historic and original editions. There is one exception - the 376.0822 which is often referred to in some circles as being the " Grail " Speedy.

source unknown​

I never gave a second thought for the manual winding watch before but now would not consider anything else. The display back is such a bonus of course but the inherent magic of the Professional model is all there, in all its' various guises in its' evolution to date.

If you want the " real thing", the blood relative of the watch that went to the moon, walked in space or which helped in the safe return of the crew of Apollo XIII, there is only one " type " to get - The Speedmaster Professional.

omegawatches.com​

Be well now pals :001_smile:

ZIN

M

·
0 Posts
I would say it also depends on whether you are given to the history of the watch. If this is significant to you, then the only way to go is the Speedy Pro.

MWW

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
You'd need to consider the size factor as well Mr Edge if this is a material consideration. The autos range from 36mm which is the Reduced model to 40mm which are the current Date and Day/Date variations. The Speedy Pro is 42mm.

OK Pal?

Be well now :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:):)

on the Speedy Pro,

I would have to get the 3572.50 or the 3573.50 manual wind first, then I might look at an auto version.:thumbup1:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I went with the manual wind Pro. Although I was disappointed it doesn't have the space-suit extension :T

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I prefer automatics to wind ups; but, in the end, does it matter? That ultimate decision is up to you! Best of luck in your decision, and let us know which watch you select.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts