WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a recent happy owner of a Longines Flagship Heritage (see picture).
Please note I am a newbie when it comes to automatic watches.
Here is my issue : some days, I plan not to wear the watch that's why I wind it the evening before. However I notice it stopped working during the night. I think I however winded it quite much - even though I'm not sure I reached the limit (was afraid I would break something). Do you think there is an issue or should I proceed differently ?
(I didn't have any issue when wearing it everyday - power just kept on)
Thanks !

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
My understanding of the Longines auto movement is that it is only wound to get the movement action started and continuous winding has little or no effect. Time to consider buying yourself an auto winder which will keep it wound and running for you.

btw.... nice watch (y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, however I wounded it like 15-20 rounds manually in the evening and it stopped working around 8 hours after. Shouldn't it be like this in my understanding right ?

·
Administrator
7,150 Posts
No. As i said in my earlier post, the winding mechanism is only used to get the movement started. Winding it "15 - 20 rounds" will not do anything more because it does not wind like a manual movement would. The movement requires constant motion to keep running beyond a few short hours so that's why i suggested buying yourself a watch winder. Decent ones can be had for around $100 USD

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So maybe winding it 30-40 times on a given morning when I'll not wear the watch during day, just to keep it going until next day and so on ?
I don't consider buying a watch winder.

·
Super Moderator
5,432 Posts
According to Longines, your watch has movement L615. The instruction from the Longines site for this movement says, "If the watch stops it will have to be rewound manually before being used again. In such cases, it is best to rotate the crown at least forty times, especially if the watch has a calendar mechanism."

·
Super Moderator
16,700 Posts
Bertrand:
Using the winding stem only "starts'' the watch. It does NOT wind the watch in the usual sense. To actually wind the mainspring, the pendulum on the movement needs to be swinging back-and-forth. And it takes at least 300-350 revolutions of the pendulum to wind your watch. And you do that by wearing the watch and keeping an active lifestyle. (HINT:) Automatic watches are not for couch potatoes.
If you feel the need to help the watch get wound, hold it in your hand and swirl your hand in a circular motion a hundred times or so. At 2 swirls-per-second, this should take you about 1 1/2 minutes. You can do this while you take your morning poop.
If after all that, your watch dies at the end of the day, you will probably need to have it serviced.

Reactions: diver and BunkerBoy

·
Super Moderator
16,700 Posts
OK, let's say I do that in a morning on a day I don't wear it - I hope my watch will not run out of power until next day :)
It should be good for 40 hours of power. If you don't wear it that day, you will probably have to "get it going again" all over the NEXT day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI, the watch kept power 27h30 mn with a 30-times winding (without wearing). I'm conscious that wasn't wound enough, so I'll make another test this weekend.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually gave it a full wind just now. Did for a bit less than a minute - I think I did around 55-60 turns before I felt the resistance.

If we apply a basic rule of three, that means the power reserve now will be somewhere around the 50 hours mark 🙃

·
Super Moderator
16,700 Posts
You're missing one of the ABCs of the automatic watch movement:
If we apply a basic rule of three, that means the power reserve now will be somewhere around the 50 hours mark 🙃
There is no basic rule of threes here. (a) I don't care who you are,,,you can not get more hours of power from a mainspring that what it was designed to give. A 40-hour reserve is just that: 40 hours!
(b) You can turn the crown from now until the cows come home - nothing will change, for the same reason you can not over-wind an automatic watch. The movement contains a clutch mechanism that disconnects the winding stem from the power train. This makes it impossible to manually over wind the watch. You'll just be turning a disconnected winding stem. As I mentioned before, the moving rotor is what winds the watch. And the rotor moves because gravity, not the winding stem, is affecting its spinning around!

• Helpful
Reactions: BunkerBoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
View attachment 231967
The manufacturer has determined the power reserve to be 42 hours. That does not change regardless of how many times you turn the crown.
Hi all, I'm a little worried about the test I just did : wore my watch yesterday full working day, removed it and it lasted only 22h30, Then stopped. Worrying especially for a brand new one isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
5,432 Posts
I'm beginning to think you should sell your automatic and buy a quartz driven watch. You should also direct your questions to Longines or the vendor if you are really concerned about one of their watches obtained from a reputable vendor.
I also do not understand your obsession with the watch power reserve. You say you wore the watch and it ran for some 22 hours after you took it off. Most people would wear the watch, perhaps take it off to sleep, and return it to their wrist the next day and go about their business. 22 hours is an extremely long nights sleep. I would be concerned only if the watch runs down and winding fails to restart the mechanisim.
Font Rectangle Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm beginning to think you should sell your automatic and buy a quartz driven watch. You should also direct your questions to Longines or the vendor if you are really concerned about one of their watches obtained from a reputable vendor.
View attachment 232031
Not sure what you mean about buying a quartz watch. I like my Longines and don't intend to change. The thing is - it looks in my case the power reserve should be 42 hours and I have around half of it and consequently I should go back to Longines, am I right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts