WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our number was a banker who recounted an interesting story.

Over twenty years ago, a gentleman walked into a branch of a leading merchant and private bank in London. He had this idea that watches could be a good venture. The concept was to make a watch with styling and designs that looked good so anyone wearing them would feel like they had the most expensive and unique watch around. They would be quartz and relatively inexpensive to produce so the margins would be as attractive as the watches themselves were bold and had flair. To illustrate his vision, he brought along a case with some examples.

Well, having studied the gentleman's proposals and wares, said bank manager advised him to go and get a job.

However before he left, the bank manager asked him what the gentleman proposed to call his watch.

His reply ..... Swatch.

I have no way of verifying this but my source claims it to be true. Our dining companion reported that the bank manager felt like the man who had turned away The Beatles.

Y'all have fun today guys

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That would be a cool story if it could be verified. I've notice that Swatch seem to be advertising a lot more lately. They always seem to have a banner on Photobucket and Facebook, and I saw them being advertised on ITV3 during Die Hard 2.

I have one, and really liked it when I first got it. But it's far too small and I'm only holding onto it as Michelle bought it for me. And it ticks far too loudly!

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm aware, thanks Fergie.

I was referring to Swatch themselves having their own online shop. How long before other brands do that? The internet surely is the way forward. I've bought all my Christmas presents so far this year online.

Have a good day pal

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
True, I like some of the mid range watches will soon go that way. Having to go into an AD is almost like having some sort of exclusivity so the likes of Patek, Omega, Rolex, A Lange etc will be a long way off selling through there own dedicated online shops.

Heck, you can even build and design your own Porsche and Aston Martin online. You submit the order and a dealer calls you back. So maybe the elite watch companies may do it eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts