WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Accutron Astronaut experts, I call your attention to The Swamp Item #270867412792.
The applied markers on this otherwise pristine M4 seem to be misaligned or am I seeing things. I have seen this in photos before but have also seen many with nearly perfect alignment. Was Bulova's quality control that sloppy?

I am not bidding on this item!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have compared that dial to the ones in my Astronauts and to the few Astronaut advertisements that I have and I can't find one like it, I don't know what it is but it sure looks like a mess to me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That dial is called a constellation dial and I believe they were only available and correct on the day/night astronaut model.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think they were available not only in the day/night but on the other styles with the insert.
I don't know if it matters really.. but I think that is just the artifact of the angle and the possibly too thick crystal mixed with a bad camera that creates that visual aberration.
The dial is a one part so I don't see how it can be misaligned..

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I'm not doubting that what you say is true, you have been a good source of information, but I sometimes wonder if Bulova ever made two Accutrons exactly alike.
I am attempting to accumulate old Accutron advertisements. I have a 1973 ad for a Spaceview Model # 21077 and a 1970 ad for a watch that with seems to be identical but is Model # 21276W. The only difference I can see is that one has a metal bracelet and the other has a Corfam strap. Now we all know that, at that time, it was not at all unusual for buyers to have Spiedel bracelets put onto brand new watches so it appears to me that they could have left stores as identical units but with different model numbers.
The available literature seems to tell us that the 218 movement came out in 1965 but I have a 1964 model.
The more I see, the less I am a perfectionist regarding originality.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It appears the indexing is off a little. Is the outer portion separate from the rest of the dial, like a chapter ring?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they were available not only in the day/night but on the other styles with the insert.
I don't know if it matters really.. but I think that is just the artifact of the angle and the possibly too thick crystal mixed with a bad camera that creates that visual aberration.
The dial is a one part so I don't see how it can be misaligned..
oracle, you may be right about that. I hadn't considered the parallax view or "the apparent displacement or the difference in apparent direction of an object as seen from two different points not on a straight line with the object."

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm not doubting that what you say is true, you have been a good source of information, but I sometimes wonder if Bulova ever made two Accutrons exactly alike.
I am attempting to accumulate old Accutron advertisements. I have a 1973 ad for a Spaceview Model # 21077 and a 1970 ad for a watch that with seems to be identical but is Model # 21276W. The only difference I can see is that one has a metal bracelet and the other has a Corfam strap. Now we all know that, at that time, it was not at all unusual for buyers to have Spiedel bracelets put onto brand new watches so it appears to me that they could have left stores as identical units but with different model numbers.
The available literature seems to tell us that the 218 movement came out in 1965 but I have a 1964 model.
The more I see, the less I am a perfectionist regarding originality.
Cool, another reference number to add to my list. Spaceview "T" 21077-3W and Spaceview "U" 22010-3Y seem to have the same dial but the "T" is described as having luminous hands and markers while the "U" has luminous dots and hands.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
First, please allow me to apologize for hijacking your thread, I assure you that my intentions were honorable and my heart was pure.
Getting back on subject, I have found two day/night Astronauts with the dial you showed, one black and one silver, so it appears that Accutron was correct as usual.
I have reexamined the two Spaceviews to which I referred, the 21977 and the 21276w and they both have luminous hour and minute hands and orange second hands and it appears that the cases are vertically brushed.
the only difference I can see is in the bands/bracelet and, of course, the vintage.
As for correct bracelets/bands, your information is very interesting and noteworthy but again, I sometimes wonder how consistent Bulova was with such things. I don't know how much there is to learn or how reliable some of the sources are but it is fun to try.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
But what about the coffin link bands? I know that my watch came with one but I have tried and those with curved ends won't fit the Astronaut case. It was becoming obvious that to fit an Astronaut, the correct coffin link band would need to have straight ends. Out of desperation, I sent a note to an expert and the reply I got was contrary to anything I had read. Some of you will recognize Tony from Freeman, Missouri and know that he has a vast knowledge of all things watch bands. His message was lengthy but the gist of what he said was that the bullet band was standard and that there were two coffin link bands available as an option. One had large links and another had small links. "The large coffin link bands were Kreisler Stelux and the small coffin link bands were Kreisler Stelux and also Prospect made." Also on the official list of Astronaut options was a "Beads of Rice" band. "The only USA made beads of rice band at the time was Speidel and /or Prospect. I think that Cromwell ( which is Kalbe ) made one too, but it was branded for Rolex Daytonas or Omegas."
We can't know for certain if an optional band was available in any given year unless the Bulova document is dated. Tony is trying to come up with a copy and if he shares it with me, I will make available to all.
This is the NOS Coffin Link Kreisler Stelux band I picked up several months ago from The Bay. Wasn't aware of band end differences. To me, the band seems to fit properly but I could be wrong. What do you think? The curved band end does tuck down under the case lip and looks fine when worn. In the pic it's flexed downward, not in normal position. Would this be the "Small link" version? BTW, I tried this band on another SS curved case Accutron and it would not fit properly.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yours is a small link version and it seems to fit. It must have the correct end links for an Astronaut. The problem is that an Astronaut case measures more like a 30mm watch and for that reason, Kreisler Stelux coffin link bands made as replacements for Seiko watches will not fit.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yours is a small link version and it seems to fit. It must have the correct end links for an Astronaut. The problem is that an Astronaut case measures more like a 30mm watch and for that reason, Kreisler Stelux coffin link bands made as replacements for Seiko watches will not fit.
Thanks! From what I was finding after I bought the band, it looked like small link to me. Like I said, Before, I didn't know there were different versions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts