WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was killing some time after taking apart my 1970 ambassador project watch and giving the parts time to soak. So I started lurking on the web when I came across a couple of classic 1940's watches. I thought I would share them with you fine folks here and see if you think these are artistic license or ruined art.
Frankenbulova.jpg FrankenGruen.jpg
Is it better to botch a restoration or make a completely new dial of it?

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
Taste in art is purely subjective. Just because I am pained to see such a thing done to an older watch, and just because I think the "artist" is a blithering moron who should be drawn and quartered, doesn't mean my nextdoor neighbor will see it that way.
BTW did I happen to mention yet that the person who did that is a moron? Why not do "it" to one of those cheapo Chinese $0.99 watches?

A botched home redo can ALWAYS be sent to a professional restoration service to have the boo-boo corrected.

And just for the record: I think people who repaint dials like that are IDIOTS!!!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Wait - first you call them morons, then you call them idiots. Which is it? :biggrin:

First, all the ones I've seen are badly done.

Second, what they're doing looks stupid.

Third, they ask - and, sadly, GET - high prices for this butchery.

It bothers me, but in the end I don't suppose they're fooling anyone. I doubt they sell much to vintage collectors. More likely the buyers are folks with a passing interest in vintage watches, checking out Ebay, and their eyes are drawn to something colorful.

I don't like it, but I don't lose sleep over it.

But if I ever see a classic Illinois with a crappy harlequin dial job, that will change!

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Wtf?

I was killing some time after taking apart my 1970 ambassador project watch and giving the parts time to soak. So I started lurking on the web when I came across a couple of classic 1940's watches. I thought I would share them with you fine folks here and see if you think these are artistic license or ruined art.
View attachment 27125 View attachment 27126

Just silly!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
First, let me say, I don't like these redial jobs. Not now, not ever.

But, I guess I see them as a lesser of two evils. If the movement is serviced/repaired to fine working condition, then one more vintage watch will live to see another day and more wrist time. That can't be all bad. And, maybe in the process, the new owner will investigate more and learn the history and gain an appreciation for the manufacturer's original intent and the accurate style of the manufacturing time.

I find it much more objectionable when I see the bits that might bring one of my watches back to life soldered to keep someone's cuffs together..........:glare:

Reactions: GeneJockey

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
First, let me say, I don't like these redial jobs. Not now, not ever.

But, I guess I see them as a lesser of two evils. If the movement is serviced/repaired to fine working condition, then one more vintage watch will live to see another day and more wrist time. That can't be all bad. And, maybe in the process, the new owner will investigate more and learn the history and gain an appreciation for the manufacturer's original intent and the accurate style of the manufacturing time.

I find it much more objectionable when I see the bits that might bring one of my watches back to life soldered to keep someone's cuffs together..........:glare:
I once saw a pair of Elgin 559 cufflinks. :cursing:

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
View attachment 27125 View attachment 27126
Here is the problem...
Obviously to a true collector and even moderate purist,
these send chills up the spine.

What really bothers me is when these are passed off
(to the noob) as authentic.
To the untrained eye these may seem "cool"
as they have no idea that the pieces have been butchered.

I am guessing Ukraine?

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
Wait - first you call them morons, then you call them idiots. Which is it? :biggrin:
Friend Gene, you and WTF in general should count your collective blessings. I went out for a smoke in order to cool-off- so that I might avoid using the words I truly wanted to use to describe that yutz! :lol::laugh::001_tt2::001_tongue:

Rest assured there is no conflict in terms. I believe the person is a moron. I publicly declare him to be an idiot. Okay??? :cool1:

Reactions: DEMIURGE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts