WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are looking for a no nonsense tool diver that delivers in the performance department, I would look really hard at the Armida A1.

Got this 2+ weeks ago, and it has not left my wrist except for when I was working on my wife's van[G-Shock zone].

I am not a diver, but I cannot imagine a more capable watch for diving, especially given the price of admission. Sure, there are more expensive dive watches with white gold dial markers, liquid metal bezels, and chronometer rated movements. But I consider this the Chevy Corvette of the dive watch community - not a high strung/high maintenance Ferrari, Lambo, or Jag.

This watch is available in 6 configurations - centered around which movement you want. I like the Miyota movement version as it has a flat sapphire crystal and not the mega domed sapphire crystal of the ETA version. And quite frankly, I like the Miyota movements, and saved the extra $$ for the ISOFrane strap which fits this watch to a 'T', and makes the heavy watch very wearable on my 6.8" wrist.

The key to this watch is legibility. In any and all lighting conditions, this beast is readable. The lume is nuclear[thick C3 SLN], and lasts thru the night and then some. And even though it is 46mm[bezel]X16mm thick[19 for the ETA version], the 50mm lug-to-lug distance, and a 24mm strap dimension makes it very comfortable and easy to wear. Similar diameter/thickness watches from the likes of Deep Blue, Helson, Zenton, etc., usually have lug-to-lug distances of 53-54mm or more.

This is my first watch with a lumed bezel, and I used to think it was just a cool-factor gimmick, but now I see that for diving in the darkness, bottom time and decomp stops would be much eaisier to read, as the bezel and hands glow brighter than the dial making them really pop. And the bezel action on this one is perfect. Yes, I mean perfect. 120 very smooth, yet very solid clicks with absolutely NO backwards play at all. And the bezel teeth really grab the fingers. You could probably set this bezel with your hands covered in synthetic motor oil.

The crown action is buttery smooth with very little to no play when setting and winding the watch. It screws down smoothly and solidly with about 4 turns. The circumference of the crown matches the bezel and it is very easy to manipulate. It has excellent grip.

To sum it up, I am very pleased with this watch. I can't see me wanting anything else for the foreseeable future. And if I were a professional diver, I would not hesitate to rely on this day to day.

Update, over the last 18 days, mine has averaged +1.67 sec/day when worn 24/7[suck on that, Rolex]

Now, for a few thousand more words:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Hey Matt, that watch is totally Awesome...It's a Toolbox all in one!

Awesome is a "very fitting" word to describe this huge tool diver. :001_tt1:

Love the lumed bezel, and my does it glow like a torch.....Your opinions of the various areas of this watch were well stated and very nice to read from real world use since you got her in.

I Dig it & will be checking into these, any advice on the best price possible and where to go?

Cheers & Thanks...Great pics too- :thumbup1:

Jim

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thanks, Matt, great write-up! I'm an A1 "early adopter", receiving mine June 30th.
IMO the A1 could be the best all-around micro-brand diver of 2011: A simple, modern watch that captures the spirit of
the vintage "off-brand" black-dial divers of the 60s and 70s that some of us dig: utility watches with ETA & AS mvts, all-stainless cases, (likely produced in Hong Kong as well)...watches advertised in the back pages of skindiver/scuba mags way back when....sharpen your pencil and circle the one(s) you want :)
That's what I think of when I look at the A1, and I like it :) Here are some pics of #12:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I Have the Armida A1 and it is one of my favorite ETA 2824-2 watches.

The quality fo the Armida watch is excellent and I would recommend this watch.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
These watches are fabulous!....Anybody got a caseback photo to post?

Sure would be nice to see a caseback pic or two....

Thanks guys, :thumbup1:
Jim

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's a great watch indeed, very well made and
I love its case design and simple dial!! Lume is top notch! I had the same with Isofrane too :)
Wear it in good health and thanks for sharing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts