WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an example; You post a photo of your new watch that you are so proud of and another member comments that it looks all wrong with those stick markers.
And then you start thinking, well, maybe I should have bought the one with the Arabic numbers.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Never, ever, ever.

Genuinely.

Look - it's great when people like your buy but a lot of the time people don't. This forum is very polite. There are a lot of vintage buyers here that I know really don't like my choice in watches (some like modern watches too and still don't like my watches) but I don't mind. They have an opinion. It may well be more horilogically informed than my opinion but I still like what I like and that's that really.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Opinion? No.

True fact? Usually good to know, no matter how much you don't want to hear it.

I used to do car audio competition back in the day. The goal was to recreate the musical performance (loudness was not even scored BTW). Since the judging was totally subjective, it was to your benefit to get as many people to listen and provide their opinions as you could. Everyone who said "sounds good" wasted my time - so, after that, if someone asks for my opinion, I'm going to give it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Yes. It does bother me a little... 9/10 people in the real world could careless about watches or spending anything over $500 on. But on these forums with other watch geeks, well that's a different story. My first "higher end" piece was a corum admirals cup. I love it. But as far as the "purists" go, spending 3.5k on a 48mm watch with a eta movement is naive at best. So, even though I'll never own a 34mm watch, hanging out on forums ALMOST made me think I could have made a mistake with my watch purchase... Anyhow, the corum is staying with me for a long time. But I probably would never buy another 48mm watch with a eta movement again

·
Banned
28,290 Posts
Are you influenced by negative comments?
Yes and no.

If a person is relaying important information about a watch I plan to buy, I'll certainly listen to it. As an example, they tell me that the caliber A from brand X has an issue with it's widgometricalator but the manufacturer solved it in the subsequent caliber A-2. That's pertinent to my purchase.

If a person says they don't like a guilloché dial and prefers the enamel version, well, tough noogies as my grandmother used to say. I like guilloché and I'm the one who's spending the money so guilloché it is. If they're polite or rash in expressing their view I'll reply in kind. As GETS mentioned, it's 99.9% polite here.

I used to do car audio competition back in the day. The goal was to recreate the musical performance (loudness was not even scored BTW). Since the judging was totally subjective, it was to your benefit to get as many people to listen and provide their opinions as you could. Everyone who said "sounds good" wasted my time - so, after that, if someone asks for my opinion, I'm going to give it.
I wouldn't go quite as far as to say they wasted my time because they were nice enough to give a compliment, but I get your meaning. Hearing the good and bad makes for more informed decisions. As John, the former owner, used to say: "I never learn anything if everyone agrees with me".

Yes. It does bother me a little... 9/10 people in the real world could careless about watches or spending anything over $500 on. But on these forums with other watch geeks, well that's a different story. My first "higher end" piece was a corum admirals cup. I love it. But as far as the "purists" go, spending 3.5k on a 48mm watch with a eta movement is naive at best. So, even though I'll never own a 34mm watch, hanging out on forums ALMOST made me think I could have made a mistake with my watch purchase... Anyhow, the corum is staying with me for a long time. But I probably would never buy another 48mm watch with a eta movement again
An honest answer and I commend you for admitting it. However, I like ETA calibers. I think they are some of the the best movements in the accuracy and reliability department for the money. The oldest tenured modern watch in my collection is a Valjoux 7750 inside a Breitling Chrono Cockpit - at the time of purchase it had a retail price over $5000. I've also owned several 2892 incarnations, including a Tiffany's Mark Coupe and now an IWC Portofino. Those 2892's are the most accurate and consistent automatics I've ever owned. The Portofino has a line as flat as a dead man's cardiogram on the timing machine. And we haven't even mentioned the relatively cheap service costs and wide spread parts availability.

Had you brought up a brand like Aximum or Hublot, then I would totally agree that they cross the line into overspending on an ETA powered watch. :sneaky2::laugh:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Honestly I didn't learn a thing... The negatives I heard, were opinions. I have one large (48mm) fun watch with a modified 7750. I just don't see a need to have two of a very similar thing. Now... I can't see into the future, so who knows what awesome piece could come out. I did say I " probably " wouldn't buy another....:) then again, I told myself I didn't need another rolex, that didn't last. Nor two dress watches and that didn't last either.

·
Banned
778 Posts
Honestly I didn't learn a thing... The negatives I heard, were opinions. I have one large (48mm) fun watch with a modified 7750. I just don't see a need to have two of a very similar thing. Now... I can't see into the future, so who knows what awesome piece could come out. I did say I " probably " wouldn't buy another....:) then again, I told myself I didn't need another rolex, that didn't last. Nor two dress watches and that didn't last either.
:biggrin:

Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Lackfocus, I like them too. All mine have been extremely reliable as well. And I dont feel as though I spent to much. I got it new, for more than 60% off msrp and I could sell it tomorrow and get what I paid for it after wearing it that past 3 quite often. Again, some people's opinions on forums just had me thinking, not much more

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
peoples opinions are just that, the only thing that bothers me is rudeness, i like honest opinions and when someone post a new watch even if i would not purchase one for myself i try to at least congratulate and offer well wishes to the new owner.
as a watch enthusiast i really do like and admire a lot of different designs and manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I wouldn't go quite as far as to say they wasted my time because they were nice enough to give a compliment, but I get your meaning. Hearing the good and bad makes for more informed decisions. As John, the former owner, used to say: "I never learn anything if everyone agrees with me".
I'll have to remember that - much more eloquent than anything I've come up with.

Almost got a Corum Admirals Cup this time around, but prefer my collection to have an American connection.

ETA fan here too

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I may answer my own question; Negative comments just give me reason to reflect on why I chose that particular watch or strap
and confirms in my mind WHY I chose it.
I had posted over on the Rolex forum a photo of my Explorer 1 on a Nato strap. Although I did not receive any "negative" comments the comments I did
receive were far less than positive but polite. I started thinking that maybe they were right, an Explorer on a Nato looks "funky".
So, I took the red and black Nato off and replaced the original SS Oyster bracelet. Well, I wore it for a day and decided that I definitely
prefer the Nato strap and back on it went.
And, anyway, the part of the world I live in, Thailand, it is not very wise or prudent to walk around with a Rolex on a shiny eye catching SS bracelet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And why should they ?
Even amongst watch collectors one day they love a watch, then before you know it they are selling it.
Our opinions change with time, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Recently I posted pictures of a watch I don't own but would like to own, and someone said it was "boring".
However, I did feel obliged to defend my opinion as to why that watch worked in a larger collection, but not as a 1 of 1 only watch.

·
Super Moderator
16,889 Posts
I see a difference between being offended and being influenced. We're only human and we don't always like it when our tastes don't meet with the approval of our peers. The thing that matters is how quickly we get over it, how quickly we get over ourselves, and move on. The sooner I realize I'm not going to please all the people all the time the less stressful my life becomes.

But if someone who knows better about a watch company, or watch, or part of that watch, and shows me where I made a mistake? Yes, that will influence me. Ideally the negative comment(s) will be polite and/or tactful, but even if they're not, I'll be influenced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey ulackfocus, I also like the ETA's. I have several ETA 2824-2's in different watch brands. I like the fact that I can regulate them myself. I have the proper tools so easy for me.
The thing is with my Cal's 3135 and 3130 I have to take in to a qualified watchmaker to adjust those little Special Screw Nuts on the balance wheel. It is quite tedious and takes a special little adjusting tool.
And, after they are adjusted according that timing machine the read out on paper might be perfect, but then when I actually wear it it is not so accurate.
With the ETA's I can regulate,adjust, according to my wearing habits. It takes some trial and error but with patience and a little time easy and fun do do.
But then on the other hand, I would never give up on my cal 3130 in my Explorer. Plus 1 or 2 seconds a day I can live with.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Negative comments regarding a watch really don't affect me. My tastes rage from the cheap ( Timex ) to the expensive ( Rolex ) and everything in between. I buy and collect by what appeals to my eyes. And I extend that same courtesy to everyone else who is excited about their newest wrist toys. Granted it may not be for me but it's what makes them happy, it's their bucks after all and it exposes me to different styles and brands. I do appreciate constructive criticism such as possible defects in movements or construction of a watch however.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.