WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do some internet companies sell Rolex watches for considerably less money than others?
I see so many sites that insist that their product is 100% authentic, but for thousands of dollars less. I have also seen websites from China that sell Rolex hang tags, boxes and paperwork only. Many of the auction items claim to have all the proper supporting documentation. Are there that many fakes being passed off as real watches? Are legitimate buyers being duped regularly?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
From my limited knowledge, I would say most of them are not real watches. Rolex fakes are really infamous, and there are tons of them on the internet. Also, from what I've observed, you can't get discount more than 10% on a brand new Rolex. The only way of making sure you are buying an authentic brand new Rolex IMO is to buy it from an AD. If you are buying pre owned, request to get the watch opened by an experienced and qualified watchmaker and let him have a look at the movement and numbers. Rolex is one of the most copied brands, it is easy to be duped, I wouldn't suggest you buy online from China. I hope that helped.

·
Registered
434 Posts
. Are there that many fakes being passed off as real watches? Are legitimate buyers being duped regularly?
Yes and yes. Rolex is the most copied watch brand and fakes are passed off as real. The big problem is that some fakes are so good it is difficult to tell them from the real ones. Sometimes even difficult to tell even side-by-side. Because of this, sadly there are a lot of people who are duped on a regular basis.

Unless you know who you are buying from on the internet, I would stay away from there and buy only from an AD to make sure. AD's typically carry pre-owned Rolex as well which most of the time are quite reasonable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice. We have 2 Authorized Dealers in my area so I think I'll do business with one of them.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Or if you can find an reliable grey market dealer of Rolex locally, that could be safe too. I bought one from a dealer in Miami that has a great reputation and they offered a return policy after I had it checked out at an AD. I saved a lot of money off the AD as the watch was slightly preowned, about a year or 2 old and looked brand new with papers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts