1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Clock Quartz clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist
Brown Wood Rectangle Clock Font

Are these watches worth getting cleaned up and serviced? If not, I'd rather sell them and contribute towards the Rolex fund :)

I'm trying to get these serviced only if it would increase their value considerably since I didn't put a lot into them. Like I mentioned, my ultimate goal is a Rolex. :)

Also if anyone could recommend a dependable watchmaker near Hackensack, NJ that would be grand.

Cheers!

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
The Benrus is not from the period when it was a family owned company - it's made with a generic caliber from a time after the rights to the name Benrus were purchased and it's not a very sought after watch. The Bulova Excellency is a nice watch though. Ask about it and the Hamilton on the American Vintage Watch Forum.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It would depend on how you acquired them. If they're heirlooms, by all means get the Hamilton and Bulova serviced and back on the road again. They're not making any more heirlooms from Dad and Grandpa!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Benrus is not from the period when it was a family owned company - it's made with a generic caliber from a time after the rights to the name Benrus were purchased and it's not a very sought after watch.
Not trying to be a smart aleck, but how do you know? (What in your experience tells you this, so I can learn from you). I have a manual wind Benrus that I love and it's a very robust watch and have received quite a few compliments on it. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Grey

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
Fair question, but what is it that you want to know that we know? (Did I say that right?)
*The company's own history tells us that Benrus started as a family run business. And it's a mater of public record that Victor Kiam (of Remington electric razor fame: "I liked it so much, I bought the company!") bought Benrus in 1967 from the sole surviving family member.

*The first watches with that kind of styling (blocky-looking hour indicators and bold rectangular hands instead of skinny ones) didn't become popular until the late 60s and early 70s. In fact the first Hamiltons to use those hands and indicators didn't appear until they published the 1968 dealer's catalog.

*It's a pretty safe bet that the movements were generic simply because Benrus watches were so gosh darn affordable.

*It's not very sought after by collectors because there's just nothing unique about it!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I don't know Benrus models specifically but to add to what Bill said, the day/date functions suggest that it's a 70's model (unless Benrus was ahead of the curve on that technology).

·
Super Moderator
16,574 Posts
I don't think Benrus was ever ahead of the curve on anything! :lol::001_tt2::lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.