1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yes, depending on what you mean by "good".

I have a LACO (Lacher) Squad watch with an ETA automatic movement. The watch is tough, reliable, and great looking for a dive watch. Is it the best finished watch I have? No, not the same as wearing a Rolex or an Omega or a Chopard or other high end watch in terms of finish or exclusivity of the watch movement. For the price, it is a really good tool watch. The pilot watches that you illustrate are seen as a good value for the money by most. Also, LACO was one of the original makers of these pilot watches for the German air force in WWII, so there is some history to the manufacture if you are interested in that aspect of collecting.

Reactions: Jj2211

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
To add to what has already been said, Laco also uses some asian sourced movements. These watches are ok but from what i have seen the swiss ones seem to be a bit better quality

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I've had 2 Laco watches: the Squad "ninja" pvd, and the same watch in stainless. Both have Swiss ETA mvts and are great watches, no problems with either.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am a fan of Laco. I own a Navy 42mm Cream ETA, and a Karlsruhe 42mm hand wind flieger. I have a Navy 44mm Black on the way.

I like my flieger so much that I sold my Stowa 2801 flieger. To me, the more authentic look of the Laco is preferable to the prettier brushed case of the Stowa. It fits my style better anyway.

There was a recent price increase on all Lacos, but I think they're a very nice watch for the money.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Couldn't agree more with what's already been said. I've owned two Laco Fliegers, and am currently wearing my ETA powered b-uhr. It is really beautifully made, with a bead-blasted case, sapphire crystal, blued hands, and an auto which hacks & can be hand wound.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I have a LACO (Lacher) Squad watch with an ETA automatic movement. The watch is tough, reliable, and great looking for a dive watch. Is it the best finished watch I have? No, not the same as wearing a Rolex or an Omega or a Chopard or other high end watch in terms of finish or exclusivity of the watch movement. For the price, it is a really good tool watch. The pilot watches that you illustrate are seen as a good value for the money by most. Also, LACO was one of the original makers of these pilot watches for the German air force in WWII, so there is some history to the manufacture if you are interested in that aspect of collecting.
Nice watch for a friendly price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After going back and forth on the seemingly endless Stowa vs. Laco debate, I'm going with a Laco Flieger. Seems like a really beautiful and completely utilitarian tool watch with reliable movement for a great price. I'm pretty huge into WWII history, and I love the fact that they're still putting forth so much effort to produce an authentic Flieger.

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
After going back and forth on the seemingly endless Stowa vs. Laco debate, I'm going with a Laco Flieger. Seems like a really beautiful and completely utilitarian tool watch with reliable movement for a great price. I'm pretty huge into WWII history, and I love the fact that they're still putting forth so much effort to produce an authentic Flieger.
Good choice, I sure it will serve you well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good Choice OP

Excellent choice! To be honest with you man, I think you made the best decision. I was confronted with the same situation. Ended up getting the Laco over Steinhart or Stowa. I've got the 42mm Paderborn from the 2012 line right now. The case is beautiful, sandblasted and the finish looks like gun metal. Which model did you get?

Here is a shot of mine.

photo (5).jpg

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
ahh...

whenever I read the word Paderborn I recall the famous 25th Penal Panzer Regiment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts