WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in the last month or two that many of us have been commenting on the 50mm watches being big or too big. A year or two ago, many were commenting on how big they were and cool. It seems as of late a lot of comments have been more negative or hesitant toward them.

Do you all think the trend may be coming to it's peak or declining with us WIS? I know large watches are still being produced like crazy at Invicta.

I'm curious. What does everyone think? I myself have become tired of anything over 45mm maximum.

P.S. - I know it's not Invicta related, but I also noticed there was an increase in interest for Hamiltons, even before the Forum was opened. If you pay attention, you can see the Forum trends here.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I agree MacDaddy. The pendulum has definitely begun to swing the other way. I have gone away from larger offerings, and I think my sweet spot is 42-46 mm. But I did just purchase the WTF watch which is 38mm.:biggrin:

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've noticed in the last month or two that many of us have been commenting on the 50mm watches being big or too big. A year or two ago, many were commenting on how big they were and cool. It seems as of late a lot of comments have been more negative or hesitant toward them.

Do you all think the trend may be coming to it's peak or declining with us WIS? I know large watches are still being produced like crazy at Invicta.

I'm curious. What does everyone think? I myself have become tired of anything over 45mm maximum.

P.S. - I know it's not Invicta related, but I also noticed there was an increase in interest for Hamiltons, even before the Forum was opened. If you pay attention, you can see the Forum trends here.
47mm is my max depending on case design. I don't think large sized watches are going away but I do think the day's of the 40mm are done. However it may well be that a more common size like say,42/44mm's may be here to stay. JMHO

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think I'm headed toward smaller as those Hamiltons are looking mighty good and that WTF was one I just had to have. I think 42-44 is just about perfect for me.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I think I'm headed toward smaller as those Hamiltons are looking mighty good and that WTF was one I just had to have. I think 42-44 is just about perfect for me.
I concur. . .

I don't want to wake up some morning and discover that my collection is obsolete because every one of them is over 48 mm. I am NOT buying anything larger than a 44 mm watch. The one I am wearing right now and for the past three days is 38 mm and I can't tell you how comfortable it is.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You guys keep buying smaller at a frenetic rate please. This could possibly lower the demand and price of the big boys!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Humm, well. While I hope that the days of 50mm+ watches are over, I doubt they are. I like watches in the 42-46 mm range personally. I just don't see them going away any time soon, heck the 4469 that's sitting at Fed-ex now is 45mm. And Invicta is transitioning to more 43mm cases. While I don't have any reson why I feel this way, it's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I don't like the super big watches, either. Forty-four millimeters is quite enough for me.

A few years ago, I went into one of those trendy stores in Old Town and they had a display of enormous watches and not being into watches that much at the time, I don't remember the name, but the saleslady assured me that they were all the rage.

Well, not for me. My Pulsar is about as big as I'll ever get and I won't get any more as big as that one.

I'm all for everyone having the watch of their dreams, but it wouldn't bother me if the trend went downward just a bit.

The Pulsar:

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Here is my take on Russian Divers. . . it is a unique watch and if it was smaller, it would be less unique. As watch sizes come and go, this one would have to remain the same or risk losing its identity.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I concur. . .

I don't want to wake up some morning and discover that my collection is obsolete because every one of them is over 48 mm. I am NOT buying anything larger than a 44 mm watch. The one I am wearing right now and for the past three days is 38 mm and I can't tell you how comfortable it is.
I can't imagine wearing a watch that is 38 mm. As I get older I need the size to see the time, thats also why I love the big date feature on many of my Invictas. I also refuse to give in to age so I don't wear sunglasses unless they are Oakley Sunglasses.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I can't imagine wearing a watch that is 38 mm. As I get older I need the size to see the time, thats also why I love the big date feature on many of my Invictas. I also refuse to give in to age so I don't wear sunglasses unless they are Oakley Sunglasses.
Sorry, I have to go with the Maui Jim's myself.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Invicta only has a few models that are over 48mm even fewer that are over 50mm. Most of the models are in the 40 to 46mm range. It would be nice to get the new 360 in about 46mm instead of 52mm. That is alot of steel for a watch.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I also refuse to give in to age so I don't wear sunglasses unless they are Oakley Sunglasses.

I'm not sure what sunglasses have to with aging, although Oakley is a good brand of sunglasses, but there are many other ones as well.

I have prescription photochromatic lenses and even though I no longer require a distance correction, the progressive magnifications give me vision that is as close to "young eyes" as is possible.

In fact, I highly recommend that everyone who is developing presbyopia spend something on the order of $500-600 on nice, durable, high-quality frames and have them fitted with lenses to correct your near vision deficit that are polycarbonate and photochromatic.

That's not too much of an outlay for a pair of glasses that work as a general purpose glass that help you see at all distances and protect your eyes from injury, glare and UV radiation.

At home I still use drug store glasses for computer work and an even higher magnification for serious reading, but in my normal duties at work and in my goings about the photochromatic progressives do the trick with the least amount of hassle.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm not sure what sunglasses have to with aging, although Oakley is a good brand of sunglasses, but there are many other ones as well.
I'll second the nod for the Oakley glasses. I have a tough prescription, but they were able to fit them in.:thumbup1:

I also picked up a low end Oakley watch. It's a fun watch for a modern design. The only problem was when I needed a new battery. Nobody local would touch it because of the odd screws on the back. I had to send it back to the factory and they took care of it quickly, so it wasn't a major problem. That incident led me to automatic watches and Invicta.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts