WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a bit surprised by the story below but then again there have been some recent articles in the press very similar to this. I am not attacking christmas here. It was just interesting to see stories about it in the light below coming out now. The several I have read dealt with most religious groups being against it as a crass commercial venture but they finally gave in after years of it. I don't think that 5 years ago stories like this or comments like it would have been acceptable.

And for the record, my family celebrates the holidays because they are tradition. And I go along with it and pass no judgements one way or another. Even as an atheist, to me christmas is no harm, no foul.

The Archbishop of Canterbury said yesterday that the Christmas story of the Three Wise Men was nothing but a 'legend'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...GGAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/12/20/nwise120.xml

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-religiontoday1214dec14,0,2910292.story

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - As Christmas draws near, Pastor John Foster won't be decorating a tree, shopping for last-minute gifts or working on a holiday sermon for his flock. After all, it's been 50 years since Christmas was anything more than a day of the week to him.

A more comprehensive so called study I ran across which I thought might be interesting reading but I think the writer in his ending is covering their behind with this cop-out.

"To all readers, this study is presented with the hope that it will foster a desire to maintain the purity of scriptural worship, in service to the living God. May the Church be liberated from the corrupting influences which destroy the spiritual vitality of her worship; and may a zealous concern for our worship flow from a desire to glorify the triune God. "

http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualNLs/Xmas_ch2.htm

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Very interesting. His quote: "In a final blow to the traditional nativity story, Dr Williams concluded that Jesus was probably not born in December at all. He said: "Christmas was when it was because it fitted well with the winter festival." I have read that from other sources as well, and this is not an unique theory. Many do feel that he was born much earlier in the year.

As far as him coming out with this, I have to beleive more feel this way across many faiths; but, have held their toungue in doing so. Due to recent scandals in the Church, authors and/or groups challenging the Church, and people's attitude in general to the Church (Case in point. Compare America in the 50s/60s to today.) there is less risk for excommunication, or worse.

It appears we are in a conspiracy theory cycle with a great many of things (not only with the Church), and I do suspect more of the same will be said from many organizations.

When anything is based on faith, hypothesis, theories, etc., there will always be the side that beleives and the side that does not.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting. His quote: "In a final blow to the traditional nativity story, Dr Williams concluded that Jesus was probably not born in December at all. He said: "Christmas was when it was because it fitted well with the winter festival." I have read that from other sources as well, and this is not an unique theory. Many do feel that he was born much earlier in the year.

As far as him coming out with this, I have to beleive more feel this way across many faiths; but, have held their toungue in doing so. Due to recent scandals in the Church, authors and/or groups challenging the Church, and people's attitude in general to the Church (Case in point. Compare America in the 50s/60s to today.) there is less risk for excommunication, or worse.

It appears we are in a conspiracy theory cycle with a great many of things (not only with the Church), and I do suspect more of the same will be said from many organizations.

When anything is based on faith, hypothesis, theories, etc., there will always be the side that beleives and the side that does not.

I think somewhere down the line, both the myths that religions have ( all of them) and the historical data will at one point merge. When that happens, those who take faith as absolutes ( caveat, again ALL religions included ) will still hold that their view point is the only one that counts and the others will still point fingers and say they are living in the past. I doubt that a true compromise will ever come in our lifetimes.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
It is called CHRISTmas.

Although many, in fact very many would change it Christmas is in fact a Christian Holiday. Same as Hanuka is a Jewish Holiday and Ramadan is a Muslim Holiday. Martin Luther King Day celebrates the contributions of that great black leader and Presidents day celebrates the contributions of American Presidents Washington and Lincoln. I have not seen any of these other holidays come into question as to the history or reason for those celebrations and rightly so. They are, as Christmas, what they are.

As far as the birth of Christ, any Sunday school attendee over the age of 10 has learned full well that December 25 was not the actual day of birth for Christ and no Christian church that I know of states that it is. However, it is the day that his birth is "celebrated" in the Christian world. One of the greatest things about all "free" countries, world wide is the citizens may choose to celebrate and/or ignore the reasons for any holiday celebration. And that is as it should be. However that does not change the basis for the celebration itself.

With that said and ignoring modern political correctness, "Merry CHRISTMAS to all, and to all a good night." :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I think somewhere down the line, both the myths that religions have ( all of them) and the historical data will at one point merge.
This statement seems to suggest that all religious beliefs fall into the category of "myths." I'm sure from the perspective of a self-professed atheist, this might seem the case. However, anyone of any faith will no doubt find this blanket generalization offensive. I know I do.

Koimaster, I've repeatedly asked you to not post any more of your attention seeking posts designed to rile up conservatives, people of faith, or any other group who's views differ from your own. By and large, you've ignored these polite requests.

Until further notice, please refrain from posting in the Community Forum here on WTF. Perhaps in a few weeks if you demonstrate that have the capacity to discuss non-watch related topics without offending others, this partial banning will be lifted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.