WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering, and I would like to hear other's input on this. If the sole purpose of providing a sapphire crystal on a watch is to prevent, and in many cases, eliminate the crystal from being scratched, why is anti-reflective coating applied to its outer surface? I can't seem to understand this. Granted it may provide a higher degree of readability in certain circumstances, but over the long run (years or even decades), it may cause perceivable scratches and imperfections on the crystal that are NOT covered under warranty. An example of this is the Planet Ocean. I own a SMP 2254 and this piece only has AR coating on the underside of the crystal and the dial can be seen perfectly in many and almost all circumstances. So, it seems like coating both sides of a sapphire crystal has no benefits, but rather only shortcomings. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with this for the most part, but I have to say that the dual coating makes the cryatal all but dissapear on the watch.

On my old SMP (Great White), both the curve of the crystal as well as the interior AR cating make it very easy to read, and I also did not see the need for exterior coating.

All watches (regardless of cost) with flat crystals are much more difficult to read (particularly in bright light), and have the nasty tendency to blind you, since they are perectcly (optically) flat surfaces, and not unlike a prism in their reflective properties.

I REALLY appreciate the curved crystal, especially when driving, as I don't get blinded by it when the sun hits it.

BUT, with the Planet Ocean, the new polished hands can sometimes dazzle the eyes a bit while driving as they are tiny faceted mirrors, and the interior AR coating allows the light to come through at full strength...

To summarize, enjoy the AR coating as long as it lasts. Once it is scratched up badly, have it buffed off completely, as you will still have the interior coating.

I tend to be a bit hard on watches, but have not managed to scratch mine yet. I did have a scare early in my ownership, but it was not a scratch apparently. Remember to NEVER wipe an exterior coated crystal with a dry cloth; at least breathe on it to get some fog before wiping it with a clean, soft cloth. Once in a while, use isopropyl alcohol and lens tissues to get it really clean. It makes a difference!

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hey J!m

How are you pal?

Thank you for your thoughts on care for the AR coating. Another thing learned today :thumbup1:

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I personally didn't like the AR coating on my PO so I buffed it off.It was easy and in my opinion made the watch look better.

I didn't like the blue haze and I found it smudged easily.I also managed to scratch it so the buffing was needed.

I know there are different opinions on this but it was what I wanted.:thumbup1:

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
:)

I've never looked at a P.O. underwater but it supposed to be fantastically clear with no reflections. I don't know for sure but the AR coating on my eyeglasses for example is also an anti-scratch coating.. with that said, it will scratch off if not careful but remember it was put there for a reason.
I would say if you were not using the watch underwater at the first unattractive scratch, rub it off with some plastic polish. no big deal, it's not a particular benefit if you are not using it for it's intended purpose anyway...

diver88:):)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don't like it on the outside. It makes the crystal look like a camera lens. And you have to treat it like one. With care.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the PO and it does get smudged easily. However, when you are underwater the visibility on the watch is just unrivaled in my opinion.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Terry makes a good point. I actually like the blue hue and can see the purpose for which it was placed on the crystal but as Terry says, if it gets scratched and you spend most of your time on dry land, it probably won't matter to rub it off.

Be well pals

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Aaron

Did you have to be very careful not to get the polish on the metal too or would it not matter?

See ya pal

ZIN
I can hear the usual anxiety in your voice when it comes to DIY timepiece work Zin.

However, I must admit, even though I'm normally a hands-on guy, I would not be happy about performing this task on a Sapphire Glass surrounded by a high quality finished bezel or case.

I have performed the Hesalite polishing process with Toothpaste during my ownership of a Moon Watch some years ago. But the good thing about the design of the Moon Watch glass is that it is significantly raised from the bezel, unlike the Seamaster range where it is flush mounted.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you were to do the 'polish it off method', I suggest popping the bezel off and taping the watch completely before you begin...

I have not observed the legibility of the watch under water as compared to my GMT, but this is certainly something I can do, and perhaps even document photographically for the benefit of the group.

I don't see the coating improving the legibility under water, but I may be wrong. The best underwater legibility to my knowledge is afforded by the liquid-filled watches such as the B&R diver, and there are a few others rated for stupid deep depths as well that also have the silicone oil filling...

Stay tuned!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
If you were to do the 'polish it off method', I suggest popping the bezel off and taping the watch completely before you begin...
"popping the bezel off"????:eek:hmy:

Zin, cover your eyes now.

If you've accidentally read this have a sit down and a nice sugary cup of tea.:biggrin:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
I can hear the usual anxiety in your voice when it comes to DIY timepiece work Zin.

However, I must admit, even though I'm normally a hands-on guy, I would not be happy about performing this task on a Sapphire Glass surrounded by a high quality finished bezel or case.

I have performed the Hesalite polishing process with Toothpaste during my ownership of a Moon Watch some years ago. But the good thing about the design of the Moon Watch glass is that it is significantly raised from the bezel, unlike the Seamaster range where it is flush mounted.
Yes Pal

I was about to reach for some calm-me-down pills but I thought I'd be brave and see this through or at least until Aaron posts his response :lol::lol::lol:

Cheerio for now

ZIN

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Hey Zin,

Look Away:lol:

I popped the bezel off to polish the crystal.Please ensure you know what you are doing here as unlike the Rolex which actually "pops off" the Planet Ocean took some serious work to remove it.Of course this would be easy with a bezel tool if you had one.

I would really suggest taking it to a watch maker to remove the bezel correctly.Refitting is a breeze and you could do it your self as it just clips back on.

I actually bent my bezel ring when trying to remove it.Fortunately I had ordered a new black bezel insert as I was to going to replace the orange insert and I had mistakenly ordered the whole bezel complete.Some days things work out for a reason.

As I said before be carefull if you want to remove your bezel yourself it is NOT like a Rolex one.:wink:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Thanks for the health warning Aaron :laugh:

Now what would I be doing thinking about removing a bezel let alone actually doing it? :lol::lol::lol:

Fear not pals - I'm not into horological homicide :thumbup1:

ZIN

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I do not think I want to attempt popping off a bezel just yet. Funny, I have no problem getting underneath the hood if I need to; but, the watch is something I do not want to try just yet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea same here. Aaron thanks again for the great advise, as always, and also thanks for the disclaimer, lol. Im not about to take pliers or a fine point screw driver to my future PO to be in fear of a homocide, as Houston has put it. :scared:

So Aaron are we going to see any pics of your PO with the new black bezel and without the AR coating??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts