WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

AR Bubble?

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Lazarbel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, Lum-Techians...

I have a problem, and this goes way deeper than my personality disorder, so even my analyst is stumped... :wink:

Check out the image, below, of my formerly pristine V1, which has been sitting in its box, happily minding its own business. Last night I fitted the bracelet, and took it into my laboratory (cue maniacal cackle) to impress y'all with my excellent bracelet-fitting skills. When I went to shoot the bracelet under my infamous, retina-searing 300 watt, interrogation lamp, I noticed a weird flaw in my V1's crystal.

If you look at the image, you can see what appears to be a marring of the crystal between the 7-8 hour markers on the perimeter of the watch face.

It's definitely on the crystal, either on its surface or underside. I can't feel it when gently scraping across it with a fingernail -- almost a foolproof method, for me, when trying to detect whether I've scratched the surface of a highly polished plane. It's absolutely smooth, even under high magnification. I'm convinced I haven't scratched the surface of the AR.

What it looks like, instead, is that same sort of weirdness -- a crazy, puddle-like refraction of light -- that you see when you've improperly applied a screen protector to the surface of your cellphone's screen. It looks like there's a tiny air bubble between either the top surface of the crystal and its AR coating, or the underside of the crystal and its AR coating.

Chris or Bes, have you seen this before? Does anybody have any theories.

Thanks, guys, for checking it out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like an imperfection on the underside AR to me. Especially if you can't feel it on the outside. I have an Omega Speedmaster with a similar looking imperfection on the outside AR, and I can feel it with my finger nail.

#5 ·
Yeah, I agree with you and, if true, this is almost a "worst case scenario," since I can't fix it. :scared:

Chris, is there an easy fix for this at Lum-Tec? Can you guys replace the AR coating in the inner surface of the crystal? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

This is a really annoying blemish, and -- now that I know it's there -- I can't look at the watch without seeing it. Arrrghh...

#13 ·
If you are an AR blemish -- or just a person of normal intelligence who's not currently snowed-in in Colorado -- you should avoid this guy like the plague.

Well that explains it! You're a cyborg with an AR melting ray attached to your frontal lobe! :biggrin:

Reactions: gman44116
#11 ·
D'oh!

I guess, having mentioned my affinity for 300 watt lightbulb photography, that it's too late to say, "What lightbulb?" and submit a Lum-Tec warranty claim? :lol:

Chris, I think I can confirm your diagnosis. Susie put on my headgear (with the weird LED lights and atomic-particle magnification) and -- starting out with her 20/20 eyesight, she said, "It looks to me like it's on the film on top of the crystal." I said, "How come you think that?," and she responded, "I can see lots of little micro-swirls in the surface, everyplace but where the blemish is, and the blemish is completely shiny smooth."

So, looks like it's time to get out the dremel and the "Mothers polish." :blush:

Thanks, both you and Bes, for responding so quickly.

#17 ·
Yeah, "Fool me once, shame on you.. err, fool me.... errr... you can't get fooled again." George W. Bush :lol::lol::lol:

So, in summary, class (rapping lecturn) 300 watt lightbulbs do not play well with plastic objects.

The "good news" is that a respected watch designer made the same inspired move. :scared:

Also, I've used my felt wheel to remove the AR, and I really like the way my V1 looks, now. The back dial is deep black. Super clean look, especially on the new bracelet.

Life is good. :thumbup1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.