WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a couple of Omega's and next on my list is an IWC.
I always considered IWC slightly out of my reach as my upper limit was about 2000GBP (which is what my Planet Ocean LE cost) but I get a healthy bonus at work in the new year and think I'll treat myself.

I really liked the look of the Portugese until I actually tried one on and it didn't suit me. I settled on the Aquatimer, it suited me and I really liked the look of it.
The model I like the look of is the IW371918 but my AD has a pre-owned IW353803 in for £1750 which may tempt me as its well within my budget.

Is there any model specifically to look for in the Aquatimer range, are all movements the same or are some better than others.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Those two watches of course have different movements because one is a chronograph while the other is not. Both are ETA based, however, although IWC does considerable work to upgrade them, so I am sure both are excellent choices. Both have titanium cases, so you must prefer titanium over ss, so you have made that decision. The key question is: how do you plan to use the watch? In other words, do you swim or dive a lot? The diver might be the better choice. Do you need or want to time things with the chronograph? Both movements are good, so your decision really has more to do with which functions you need the most. Best of luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those two watches of course have different movements because one is a chronograph while the other is not. Both are ETA based, however, although IWC does considerable work to upgrade them, so I am sure both are excellent choices. Both have titanium cases, so you must prefer titanium over ss, so you have made that decision. The key question is: how do you plan to use the watch? In other words, do you swim or dive a lot? The diver might be the better choice. Do you need or want to time things with the chronograph? Both movements are good, so your decision really has more to do with which functions you need the most. Best of luck.
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I chose titanium because I have an allergy to nickel in SS.
Its not usually a huge problem if I put a watch on in the morning and remove it before I go to bed. The problems start if I wear it longer than about 12hrs without removing it or I wear it in hot climates where the sweat increases the irritation.
As I live mainly in the Caribbean and before that I lived in the Middle East the hot climates are a problem.

It has to be a very reliable diver because I plan on doing some diving now I'm in the Caribbean. I had a major problem with my Omega Planet Ocean and its currently being repaired under warranty because water managed to get in when it was only about 10ft down.

I occasionally use a chronograph but its not important enough to sway a decison.
The main requirements are reliability, titanium and waterproof.

I know within the Omega enthuisiasts certain movements are cherished, I wondered if any particular movement was known as better/worse or more desirable?

If all things are equal I'll probably go for the diver on rubber strap.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The Aquatimer has an ETA base and one of the Watch magazines recently compared it to the Rolex Sub and it did well by comparison. While it's true that the movement isn't 100% proprietary, IWC makes extensive modifications so the movement when finished is pretty much finished to their high standards by the time they are done with it. There are no reliability problems or anything like that. The Aquatimer is a nice watch. I met a guy with one and he loved his and had used it extensively in the ocean. The only disadvantage I am aware of is that the lume is not particularly good--it depends on much much "value" you place on this feature. Otherwise, it is an outstanding watch. Sounds like going with the Titanium is a great way to avoid your allergies and Titanium of course is stronger than steel at resisting pressure pound for pound as well--although it does pick up scratches a little easier. I wish you the best of luck with your purchase. :001_smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...

The money is sitting in the bank and I'm still floundering with my decision.
Definately an aquatimer, definately titanium, definatly rubber strap...but I can't decide on the 2000 Diver or the chrono version.

I'll have to wait until I can get to an AD and try both on to compare side by side.
I'm stuck working in Jamaica for 3 weeks so I'll have to wait until I get back to Aruba or a visit home to the UK until I can satisfy my cravings.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sounds like a good "problem" to have. IWC makes nice watches, whichever way you go, I am sure you will be happy. Good luck.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi Icarus,

I saw the non-chrono Ti Aquatimer on bracelet a few weeks ago and it looks really nice with the yellow accents. Naturally, it's best to see both models before you buy...

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of Aquatimers so I can't help you with that and the pictures on the IWC site are not the greatest :001_unsure:

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't worry Cinq, those images are burned into my mind anyway, lol.

I had almost decided on the 2000 Diver, but then I figured I already have a plain diver with my Omega Planet Ocean LE and maybe I should get a chrono.
So now I'm almost sold on the chrono...

It was easier when I was broke and just couldn't afford the darn thing :biggrin:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi Icarus,

I have seen the 2007 and 2006 Cousteau Aquatimer Chrono's and they are both great. The 2007 is bigger and sportier with the orange bezel. I know the Cousteau come at a higher price but I have already seen a few 2007 models at a discount. The 2006 seems to keep its value better...

Kind regards,

Cinq

·
Registered
2 Posts
New

Hi

I found this forum on Google, and thought I'd join quickly, as I have the same problem.

I'd really like to buy an aquatimer this year, preferably in the next couple of months. I've been meaning to make the purchase for almost two years but couldn't justify the expense. After starting my own business last year I told myself I'd buy one if it worked out - and it has. So...

Currently I think I prefer the Titanium. I like the yellow detailing and the colour of the metal.

The questions are:

- how much more scratchable is the titanium vs steel?
- I can't decide re: the bracelet or the rubber strap. Prefer the bracelet, but the strap is non-scratchable and probably very practical
- I like the 2000, but it obviously has very thick glass which isn't so nice from an angle.
- which leaves the chronograph.... but it is quite a lot more expensive!

Finally, are there good places to buy this? I'd like to shop around (am I allowed to ask these questions)? I will be in China (Quangzhou) next week, am based in France (Euro too expensive as I earn in Sterling), spend a lot of time in UK (home), but will be heading to Australia via US in the summer. Or possibly via Dubai. As I have the benefit of travelling a lot I can shop around. Any ideas of the best place to buy? I'm worried at all the potentialy shoddy shops on the internet. So far, I have only received a price from watch sellers in Heathrow Terminal 4, and Den Haag in Holland (expensive again, as Euro).

Many thanks to anyone that can help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi

Finally, are there good places to buy this?
I found the cheapest prices in Dubai.
My PO LE would have been 400GBP cheaper in Dubai.

Also Dubai is one of the few places that has an IWC boutique.

I have used a well known UK internet watch finder (hint) and was very pleased. Exactly as brought from a shop but with a nice saving.

I can get the chrono aquatimer for 2k dead and the 2000 for 1800GBP.
The real savings is if you order from the internet place and have them deliver it to an address abroad, saving the VAT. In that case the 2000 would be 1.5k, thats a nice price indeed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts